Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: April Point Lodge, May 1st - 4th  (Read 1378 times)

badboi

• I'm a llama!
April Point Lodge, May 1st - 4th
« on: May 05, 2006, 09:24:03 AM »

So I just got back from my vacation at Quadra Island..

We had a great time there, friendly staff, excellent food, and great scenery..

onto the fishing...

We booked one 4 hour guided fishing trip knowing the it was the slow season.  Our guide even told us it would be slow.  Anyways,  about one hour into the fishing my girlfriend has a huge strike on he rod (Flasher with white Hootchie) and the guide sets the hook but I guess the fish bolted to the surface too quickly the guide/my girlfriend couldnt reel the slack line and just like that the fish was gone =(

About 30 mins later I see a slight tug on my line....a few small taps, nothing like the strike on my girlfriend rod.   The guide grabbed the rod and said it may be too small to release from the down rigger.  He forces a release and sets the hook.  Now the battle is on... About 10 seconds later i feel a major Pull strait down.  It felt HUGE!!!  and then the guide says a seal grabbed it!!!! 

We saw the seal the whole day trailing us and he said this problem (seal grabbing fish) occurs frequently.  Anyways he didnt say it was a lost cause.  Any moment the seal could release the fish, and sure enough it did, only to grab it again and again!!!  By this time the fish is dead and we said the seal surface with it, It was a nice sized Chinook.  Once the seal surfaced, I reeled feverishly to make up the slack line and within a few seconds the seal dove again, stripping tons of line.   This went on for a 20+ mins. Once we got it near the boat the seal released my catch and we got to take chromer home!

Overall, a good trip to the island and it didnt break the bank.

Cheers

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: April Point Lodge, May 1st - 4th
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 11:17:11 AM »

Nice one Dave, glad you had a good trip. How was the spa and whale watching etc? :)

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 11:55:16 AM »

Nice fish. You guys did better than i did a couple years ago. I got a big goose egg in august and i had to pay for my charter :-\. You were fishing cape mudge right? 10 min south of april point? how deep?

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 12:05:53 PM »

That is a money fish for the guide...hope you tip him big.

badboi

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 07:26:22 PM »

Hmm.. didnt go whale watching, the season hasnt started yet.  But we did go to the spa.... for a 30 min massage. For someone who has never done the spa thing it was excellent... they found sore muscels I didnt even know I Had. 

We fished near the light house about 20 mins south of april point lodge. I believe we were fishing 10-20' off the bottom.

Generally, the fishing was very slow for the guides.. Our guide said for this time of year one strike would be considered a good trip so I guess we were fortunate.