Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salt Spring Island, May (ongoing)  (Read 3396 times)

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
Salt Spring Island, May (ongoing)
« on: May 12, 2006, 03:06:16 PM »

It's raining right now, so I'll start this report.  We got here the first of May, St. Mary Lake, and right away I caught a cut throat trout off the dock at Lakeside Gardens Resort, one of this sites advertisers.  I'd been here late last June and caught a lot of smallmouth bass, some of them pretty large by my standards, but I'd never so much as had a trout interested then, so I was surprised when that trout hit a silver spinner I had thrown out.  It was a pleasant surprise, because I had expected to have to catch a bunch of perch for supper in that bass are not to be kept until June 15th.

When I set out to catch perch with worms from my compost pile, I caught a 20 inch rainbow.  She was kind of skinny.  The lake was kind of depressingly brown, and it was windy, so I set off to explore some of the other lakes I'd heard about here on FWR:  Cusheon, Weston, and Stowell.  Here's what I've learned:  Stowell, just a big puddle, really, but it is a very pretty spot, seems to get very light use (as do all of these little lakes--I've seen only one other fisherman in all the time I've been out) has small to medium sized cut throat trout (14" is the biggest I've caught there), but there seem to be quite a few of them, and they will take a small spoon or spinner or flies fished about six feet deep--I've used dragonfly nymph and black leach with some success--I'm just learning this lake fly fishing.

Weston is slightly larger than, maybe twice the size of, Stowell.  It is barbless fly fishing only.  That fisherman I mentioned above told me it has large rainbows but that they are hard to catch.  You have to have a floatation device to fish this lake, there is no dock or beach that I could see, just a narrow entrace to put in a boat.  I fished there for a couple of hours with a dragonfly nymph and had one bite, which I missed.

Cusheon is the largest of these three lakes, but it is still pretty small.  I went there this morning hoping to catch trout for supper and work on that lake fly fishing technique.  I put in at about 10:30 this morning and pretty fast I caught a fat 13" cutty on a big black leach.  I fished it a little more with no bites, and since I was having trouble casting it very far because it was so heavy, I put on a dragonfly nymph.  I fished it and some other likely looking patterns to no avail, and since it was looking more and more like rain and the breeze was stiffening, I put that nymph back on, set they pontoon boat up to drift along the shore on the way back to the dock.  About half-way there a 19 inch cutty took it, and it was pretty exciting for a few minutes.  It started to rain as I was loading the boat.

St Mary Lake:  the lake has cleared quite a bit during the past 12 days, to the point where yesterday I went out with a flyrod and caught bass on big black flies.  Before that, just about any time I've wanted to catch a bass, I've been able to walk down to the shore here at Mark's, throw out a spinner bait with a black curly rubber worm bait or just about anything that flashes and catch bass.  Not one right after the other, but often enough to keep me intersted in each cast.  And seems like most days I catch at least one pretty good-sized fish.  I don't know exactly how big, because I release them all, and I will say, that last June I remember a larger percentage of bigger fish.  I've been out in my boat a few times, and there are bass in all the usual places--around the sunken island, in front of Mark's, and in front of the public access beach, over by the beaver house, and along the shore line in between.

We expect to be here until the end of the month, so I can update this report if people are interested.  Or if you have questions or suggestions (like what might work) about any of these lakes, perhaps I could check them out.

. . . seems to have stopped raining.  I haven't exercised the bass in front of the place yet . . .
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 05:56:54 PM by keithr »

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Salt Spring Island
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 04:25:59 PM »

thx for the report
weeeeeeeeeow!

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
Re: Salt Spring Island, May (ongoing)
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 05:51:29 AM »

tried Cusheon yesterday morning.  Started fishing about 8:30 and fished until about noon and only caught one fish:  18" rainbow on a green leach.  Came back to St. Mary Lake and fished a couple of hour from the boat with that same green leach and caught maybe 10 or 12 bass, the largest of which was 16".  I'm getting ready to try Weston this morning--looks like a nice day.

4 pm:  well, I fished Westin from twenty to eight until almost ten o'clock, first with a green leach that turned out to have been pretty chewed up by all the bass yesterday, and then with a dragonfly nymph.  No bites.  Nothing.  It's a pretty spot, but there are houses very close to the water around much of the lake, and it felt kind of strange to be fising in people's front yards, sort of.  Anyway, no fish, so I went to Stowell.  There I got a 14" cut throat right away.  I lost another like that at the boat, and then the fishing got really slow.  I fished all around the lake, dragging a fly and then anchoring and casting.  I got a few bites trolling, but not many.  I put on a new green leach at about 2:30, and then caught five more fish, three of which I kept.  Of these three small lakes, so far this (Stowell) is my favorite.  It feel more like the country; although there are some houses nearby, they aren't right up against the lake.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 04:21:16 PM by keithr »

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 05:21:59 AM »

This is Thursday morning.  The lake (St.Mary) continues clearing somewhat.  Day before yesterday the lake was pretty disgusting--the algae had seemed to clump up in marble sized balls that were floating all around.  Yesterday I fished Cusheon (got a couple of pretty scrappy bass) and Stowell (got a couple of cutties).  Things were pretty slow.  About 8pm I took a flyrod out to the sunken island and fished with a floating line and a wolly worm on the surface.  I don't know how many I caught, but the fishing (all bass) was fast.

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 08:21:28 PM »

The lake (St Mary) is much clearer today.  I went out at 6pm and got back at 8:25 and caught 65 bass and 1 perch.  I caught the first 53 on a dragonfly nymph (on a sinking line), which bass number 53 got stuck way down in his throat, so I cut it off.  And switiched to my #2 rod which had a floating line and a fuzzy worm with a red tail and caught another 13 with it.  About a third of these fish were small, and none was a real monster.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 12:03:34 PM »

One fly lasted for 53 fish, good one Keith. :) Sounds like a fantastic evening. ;)

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 03:17:47 PM »

It was fun, but since I started out just to see how many I could get, a little strange, though.  Barbless hooks make it a lot easier even though a larger percentage got away.  The only one that might have been harmed was the one with my fly in its throat.  Bass seem pretty cooperative: once the fight is over they don't flop around at all while you release them.

I've been fishing for trout in Westin.  It's hard to actually get these babies into the net, and fishing is pretty slow, at least for me.  I've caught a couple of chubby 16 inch cut throat and a few smaller fish in Stowel.

Anyone have any idea on how to catch a trout in St Mary Lake without having to wade through all those bass?  I'm wondering if maybe a gang spinner (ford fender type gizmo) trolled deep with a big worm on the end . . ..

Later:  that didn't work.  I caught a perch.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 08:03:22 PM by keithr »

J-GLOBAL

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 07:34:01 PM »

On St. Mary's, I haven't taken any trout on that side where all the bass are.
The one's I've had have been on the road side under the tall trees, and going back and forth across the mouth of the bay at the one end.
Otherwise its bass, bass, bass, bass, bass.....

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 08:02:32 PM »

thanks for the suggestion, J-Global.  I'm guessing "the road side" you are talking about is on the west side of the lake (across from Lakeside Gardens) and the bay is on the south end of the lake (the "other end" from where I am).  Right?

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 07:47:14 PM »

I still haven't done much good fishing for trout in St. Mary Lake, but some of the other people staying here have either seen people catching a trout or two or have actually done it.  Generally I go to one of the other three lakes and catch enough trout for supper or breakfast.  I've gotten skunked a time or two, but usually I manage to come home with something to eat.  Today I went to Cusheon and caught about eight cut throat and one bass.  One of the trout was 15 inches and the rest were smaller.  I kept three and came back to where we are staying of St. Mary Lake.

One of the other guests here tells me about people catching the odd trout, and since I expected the weather to deteriorate I went out about 2pm with a fly rod (floating line with a fly that looked like what I found in the stomach of the largest trout from Cusheon) and a spining outfit with a green wedding band.  I ended up catching 17 perch right at my feet at the edge of the weeds with the wedding band and a scrap of worm.  With the fly rod I caught several bass, including my biggest one yet this time, 19".

Since those other folks hadn't caught anything keepable, I shared a few of those perch with them for supper, and while I was taking a shower, they showed up with a bottle of home brewed wine for us.  Which went pretty well with the perch for supper.  hic!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 07:48:45 PM by keithr »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 09:34:49 PM »

Sounds good Keith!

Where do you get the 'Net connection around there?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 01:59:23 AM »

Lakeside Gardens has wireless now, so people can come on and provide updated reports from the lake. ;D

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 06:13:10 AM »

Mark has had wireless here for almost a year now.  It was the final selling point I used to convince Violeta (wife) to spend the month here.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 04:55:01 PM »

Sweet!

WiFi and Fishing... What a great combo!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 05:49:53 PM »

Hi Keith, can you please ask Mark to send me an email info@fishingwithrod.com? He's website (or the server www.saltspring.com) is unavailable (hopefully temporary only) and I do not have his email address handy. Thanks!