Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spring Report June 28th  (Read 3560 times)

BH123

Spring Report June 28th
« on: June 29, 2006, 12:05:11 PM »

Hooked 3 springs yesterday, boated 1. Pretty slow fishing overall considering the amount of fishers (40 - 50 rods in the area I was fishing). Fished from 11:00 to 9:00pm. One was about 30lbs but lost it right at the boat. I was BB. I did not see any sockeye hooked. Seen 4 - 5 other springs hooked and heard of 4 springs hooked on bar gear. Water vis seems to be improving. 6-7 inches maybe. I was fishing the Island 22 area.

If you fishers want to grill BB start a new subject. Don't ruin this report with a bunch of arguments. If I hook a soc I immediately handline it in and cut the line at the hook. The fish is fine. Some people are interested in my report. Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 12:23:56 PM by Rodney »

limit time

• http://www.svmatch.com/allusers/4/
Re: Spring Report June 28th
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 12:39:52 PM »

how do you not catch sox with other methods?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 12:45:59 PM by Rodney »

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 01:01:31 PM »

If I hook a soc I immediately handline it in and cut the line at the hook. The fish is fine.

When releasing a fish I only cut the line if the fish has swallowed the hook deep to prevent damaging the gills otherwise I use forceps/hemostats/pliers to dislodge the barbless hook.  Everyone who is fishing the Fraser while sox are closed should really have the correct tools for releasing a fish quickly while still in the water.  It is better for the fish and looks better on us anglers as well.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 01:14:55 PM »

you ruined your own post by saying you were BB'ing!  You cant drop a bomb like that in here without expecting to take flak for it.  Im sure youre not hurting sockeye...the problem is if as a rule everybody still BB's we're gonna see some serious bycatch problems on these sensitive early season stocks.  Nobody wants to take one for the team though....its always me me me. 

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: Spring Report for Wed
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 02:40:08 PM »

Why are you bottom bouncing when DFO has specifically asked anglers to use methods that do not catch sockeye? I just don't get why someone would post that they are bb'ing knowing that DFO is monitoring fishing web sites as well as the river, it is just giving them more reason to shut down the Fraser to all salmon angling. I guess it will be everyone paying for the actions of a few who have to get a fish at all costs if the river is shut down.
Just couldent resist bashing could ya! and all this shut down talk. . . i have only been fishing for salmon for 5 years and i hear everyone crying about how the fraser will be shut down if people BB. Hasant happend yet not sure about the past but if the DFO hasant shut down the entire river to fishing in 5 years, would be pretty random to start now. Dont get me wrong i would be destroyed if they did.
[

Copper Koski

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 03:54:08 PM »

I'm sure DFO would put a leader restriction into effect, before shutting down the entire river.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 04:11:40 PM »

Isant there one in effect ? 1 meter i believe. . . if not im gona be even more confused since they put that restriction out before. GOOD! restriction i might add if had days with 3 springs hooked and no sockeye, while the ten footer tosers ::) were bonking sockeye all around.
[

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 04:52:00 PM »

Is this how people plan to conduct themselves in the next two months in the fishing reports?

BH123 "did not see any sockeye hooked." Not sure what exactly the problem is. If sockeyes were being hooked and released throughout the day, then there is a problem. As much as I dislike the method employed, it is not prohibited in the regulations. Any complaint should be directed at the source, DFO staff who issue the request.

Floater, spend some time and read the regulations, I thought we've already gone through that?

If people choose to attempt solving these issues by turning against each other, then this sector will continue to be a fractured joke in other sectors' eyes. Put your energy to good use, join an existing organization, attend meetings, express your concerns to those who can make a difference.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 05:03:08 PM »

I agree with Rod its either put up or shutup. Go join a society and put in some time and energy into trying to change things instead of mouthing people off. Yes they ask that you use selective methods but they have not made it a law. So since their is no law against it people are going to continue to do it. I myself dont like it that people do it but getting angry at people over the internet solves nothing.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 05:06:17 PM »

Well im moving to the island for a summer job and have a place where I can catch big springs! Just don't know if I will BE ABLE to or not ;D
Anyways good to hear that the springs are coming in!

BH123

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 05:08:58 PM »

You guys couldn't resist. I pay my taxes, have invested in a jet boat, rods, reels, gas, etc. You know how expensive fishing is. When I go out I want to catch a spring not sit on the bar and watch a still rod in the holder. I have been BB for 10 years and have never caught a early soc. And if I did I would stop fishing and move locations. Quickly releasing a soc causes no harm. If they are still concerns, DFO needs to conduct more research to actually determine the mortally rates of BB caught socs. DFO is just assuming what is happening. Studies from the US show that properly released salmon have low mortally rates.

I highly doubt DFO is looking at the websites. I never see them on the river so I doubt they would be web site watching. The way I see it, if the natives are allowed to drift net fish, talks by the DFO about conservation of early socs is thrown out the window. Drift nets catch more socs or fish than any fisher could catch during the month of June. Additionally, I have seen the natives beach Seine just below the mouth of the Frasier during late August when the wiped out Thompson coho are moving through. How is that fair?

The DFO says the same thing every year but never actually follows through. If they are concerned about the early socs, then shut down the entire Frasier for all fishers until August. Like I said before, I will contine to BB for 3 reasons: I have invested huge sums of money into the industry, have never caught an early soc and the DFO lets the drift nets to continue.

BH123

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 05:22:24 PM »

I am not going post another BB report cause these arguments will never stop. Resource management by DFO or another other group is difficult, and maybe impossible to conduct. I don't know what the solution is. Every one whats a piece of the pie. I guess the extreme solution would be to shut down the entire fishery. This would be very sad as it is a helpful to BC's economy. Thats my view, you fishers can keep bashing all you like.

Sorry to stur things up Rod, just thought my report was helpful for some fishers out there. Thats what this site is for right? If DFO is website watching my report would be useful as I stated what I caught or saw caught. Like Rod said, I saw no socs caught so whats the probelm? There are no by catch problems in my opioin. If DFO says spring numbers where low, I would stop fishing and go fish sturgeon. But then that fishery is in trouble too. There is no solution I guess. If there are fishers or humans for that matter, then there will always be fishery management problems.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 05:26:03 PM by BH123 »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 05:33:29 PM »

Hey Rodney. How about let the poster in Fishing Rerport section have the choice to lock their thread?

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 06:29:47 PM »

Floater, spend some time and read the regulations, I thought we've already gone through that?

Yah we did, but since im not planing to hit the fraser for a month or two i dont really feel like it right now, know what i mean? sure you do. :)
[

cohoslayer1

• Bring on the steelhead
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 07:11:45 PM »

for all those bb out there. I found out some information today on the sockeye with this warm water the fish will slowly dissappear.the reason is that they are weaker going up the river . so they spend more time in the river going up the the river they are suppose to.so then they waste energy and nutrients taken more time to go up and not into the roe. the the eggs have a even lower possibility of surviving.  So if people are snagging them when bottom bouncing you are even more weaken them to go and they most likely will die and you are just killing off the sockeye one by one

my 2 cents
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 07:53:51 PM by cohoslayer1 »