Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick Action On The Bar, The Journal For The Last Day of June.  (Read 5106 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

As always a warm welcome to all readers of The Journal on FWR, your top fishing web page on the net.

Arrangements were made last night with friend Gary to make our first bar fishing trip together out to Maple Leaf Bar. Reports of several good catches by the bar fishers the last week were very encouraging. As well BS and TS had both encountered good fish as well so I knew the chinook run was running hot and heavy. ;D ;D

The Leaf Mobile was packed and on the road shortly after 7. The first order of business of course was to grab a double double at Tims and then deal some fastball duties. Then it was off to meet fishing partner Gary where the Leaf Craft is stored. On arrival both Gary and the Leaf Craft were waiting in anticipation, especially the LC who was so excited it almost hooked itself on to Leaf Mobile's trailer hitch to get going. She is always in good humour when she knows she fishing Maple Leaf Bar and of course dislikes seeing anything that may resemble anything to do with the Canucks that have tried to claim the bar as their own. ;D ;D ;D

We arrive at Island 22 shortly before 9 and discover a good number of outfits ahead of us. I donot like arriving at the 6 am opening time as it is like Grand Central Station as the early birds scramble for position to get to their chosen spot. ;D
The only draw back arriving at this time is we may have trouble getting onto MLB but by being a little latter the mosquito's may not be as bad as it warms up and the wind starts to blow.

We load up and and as I start to back up I think had I put the plug in. I jump out and check and sure enough it was out. How many of you have done this? I have done it a few times backing in and then putting a few gallons into the bottom of the boat before discovering my folly.

With the plug in, LM parked, life jackets on, the 50 horse Mariner motor purrs to life but hey no water is coming out the spout. ??? O no, has the water pump gone on the fritz and we will have to cancel the trip? I tell Gary jump in and we will take it for a quick spin and see what happens, sure enough by giving the motor a little more gas the welcome sight, a steady stream of water from the cooling system spurts back into the Fraser River.

The Leaf Craft then quickly turns up river and jumps into a plane mode. She may no cover distances like the modern jet boats that seem to make up the majority of boats on the flow but she does no care, she has plied these waters long before any of her sisters saw or felt water beneath them.

We also wonder if the Fraser Valley Salmon Society had not been formed 22 years ago and so many volunteers worked so hard to get the Fraser River open once again after years of adult chinook closures would any of us even be out on the river today. As well, it was thanks to the FVSS efforts that we got all species of salmon open for the recreational anglers over the years. This is the reason a lot of anglers know how important it is to co operate with those that make the decisions that allows us to fish. It is not something to take lightly as those of us that have had to deal with these issues in some form or another each week for so many years realize.

Better get back to the fishing report before I loose all readers but BS who is eagerly awaiting the results of the trip. ;D

We arrive at MLB and I have not seen it this high at this time of year since we started fishing it a few years ago..

Three boats are anchored and 3 rods on shore. Buck is fishing in the "KE Runner" with his fishing partner and is just off the spot where I usual like to settle in on the shore.

We decide to squeeze in below the shore rods and above the "KE Runner". I think we will be OK unless we tie into a large fish that could maybe tangle with the "KE Runner's" anchor but I know if we were to hit a big fish they would pull their anchor for us.

Posting this part of the journal as taking a break. ;D ;D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Quick Action On The Bar, The Journal For The Last Day of June.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 10:52:59 PM »

Chris, that is a pretty nice report so far, but I think that it is missing something!!! ;D  You're killin me man!! ;D ;D  But, alas, you are probably having a hard time with typing right now with all those fish you were hooking into today!! ;D ;D {insert sarcasm here}  ;D ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 10:56:22 PM »

Insert commercial here. :o

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 10:59:01 PM »

There is always commercials with a good program. ;D ;D ;D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 11:00:25 PM »

There is always commercials with a good program. ;D ;D ;D

Yes, but to be a good program you need a great ending!!  ;D  I am sure that you will have something entertaining for us!! ;) ;D

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 11:16:02 PM »

BS is gonna be on all night waiting for it ;D...dont do it chris ;D

The_Other_Gman

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 11:18:15 PM »

3 1/2 hours until departure time for the river, too hot to sleep.  I have time.  ;D

fishinmansam

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 11:35:11 PM »

3 1/2 hours until departure time for the river, too hot to sleep.  I have time.  ;D

same here man but here its 5 1/2 hours ;D

The_Other_Gman

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 11:37:41 PM »

same here man but here its 5 1/2 hours ;D

Particular spot that is not well known I want to be at, need to be there at first light to ensure it's not taken.

fishinmansam

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 11:39:38 PM »

sweet man and since u seem to answer very fast could you tell me is scale bar landstrom bar otherwise located right out of hope on landstrom road?

The_Other_Gman

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 11:40:31 PM »

sweet man and since u seem to answer very fast could you tell me is scale bar landstrom bar otherwise located right out of hope on landstrom road?

Right in that area, don't know specifics.  Never fished there.

fishinmansam

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 11:41:26 PM »

darn! well ill be out tomrrow there anyways.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 11:41:34 PM »

Already answered in your thread!!  With directions!!  Sort of. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2006, 12:03:28 AM »

We anchor the LC in among the small willows and as we get setup the mosquito's start to dive bomb us right away, looking for a tasty meal at our expense. Darn, the wind has not started to blow yet that will help to keep the critters in their hiding spots.

Gary slips his holder in above me and I will be putting my pole in one of the holders in the LC.

I think it is even before we have our rods in place we hear a commotion in the "KE Runner". As we look in their direction we see they are indeed into a fish, we see the net being readied but something goes wrong during the battle, we can not see what happened but the net if it was dipped it came up empty. :(

My Fraser King bar rod, Diawa single action reel with a red topped silver glow that is anchored by 16 ounces of lead has been in the water about 5 minutes, I had not even hunted up a bell when I hear some rattling in the boat. I look up and see the orange flagging tied to the rod tip doing a merry jig. ??? My instinct says it is not a roll (weight breaking free from its position) so I quickly grab the rod, set the hook and I am very pleased to feel the pulsating action of a fish hopefully firmly attached to my 6/O gammy.

My first concern as the 25 pound test Maxima line peels quickly off the reel is, is it heading for the anchor of the "KE Runner'" I then wonder if it will be larger than BS's fish that I predicted I would beat today. ;D

I apply enough pressure as I dare and it gets no where near the anchor. As I guide the chinook towards the net that Gary has now readied the fish finds one of the submerged willows ::) but after about 30 seconds I am able to pull it free. ;D At first I think the fish is gone but all of a sudden it appears to our sight. I once again pull it towards the now gapping net that is ready to swallow it in. Gary dips and I see the spring start to slip into the green mesh but all of a sudden the 15 to 18 pound silver sided chinook regains some energy and bolts from certain death. I am not concerned as I will just have to turn it and bring back but all of a sudden all I can feel is the weight of the weight. ??? "It gone" I say to my partner. "No" is all Gary says as I reel in all my terminal gear. Gary starts to apologize for his netting effort. I say "no problem, not your fault and besides the day is still young, I want to get a bigger one" (To beat BS's). Thinking back now the pressure I had to use to pull the fish off that bush may have been the real problem.

Thats the end of round 1, round two of The Journal tomorrow. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 12:16:37 AM by chris gadsden »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2006, 12:09:59 AM »

What a tease, just like the Make Beliefs. ;)