Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: upper fraser(bar-fishing) July 8th  (Read 3220 times)

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
upper fraser(bar-fishing) July 8th
« on: July 08, 2006, 09:54:55 PM »

::) well headed out at 5am up to the hope area. passed laidlaw and wow dont people sleep during the night. lots of guys at that bar around 6am.got to water st in hope and got the riggins ready. had the bar-rig in the water by 6:05. sat back and relaxed. boy was it slow today. :'( :'( fished the bar untill 12 noon and had to leave to get to the ferry to pick up my neice ::). there were 8 of us fishing the bar and not one sniff. the day before 7 fish were taken by 8am.  :o :o oh well it should be good for a while yet so i will have to get back out soon. did not see anyone bbing today or no nets either. :o :o cheers and tight lines to all
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 10:44:37 PM by Rodney »

blueback

Re: upper fraser(bar-fishing)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 10:08:50 AM »

I saw a lone boat drift/gill netting the Fraser at New West. Must be after those early run socks!! Or could they be selectively targeting springs?? ::)

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 11:56:54 AM »

There were 3 boats Friday drift netting below the Patulla bridge.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 12:57:04 PM »

Tsawwassen and Musqueam First Nations have an opening this weekend.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CommunalOpeningTimes_Previous.html

Very bottom of that page.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 03:05:14 PM »

Those guys are out almost every day!I see them early in the morning down by westham island.

nosey

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 08:32:09 AM »

How did this go from Trev's bar fishing report to complaining about the FN fishery? If you're so worried about it get close enough to have a look at their mesh size  Stuart River sockeye swim right through the larger web used for netting springs. Actually up towards Hope there have been very few FN nets in the river for the last two weeks so there is a large compliance with the FN's avoiding the Stuart's. On the other hand there seem to be more bottom bouncers every day for the last week. 15 on Croft Is. over 20 on the scales bar another 25 or 30 at Laidlaw yesterday morning, so who's the guardians of the fisheries now?
  Trevor, you forgot to mention the Osprey doing the flyby 30 ft. away with the sucker in his talons at least one fisherman was doing well. I was back at the same bar Sunday with the same sad results, but it was a good day out in good company and I still haven't ate all of the one I got last weekend.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 09:57:19 AM »

How did this go from Trev's bar fishing report to complaining about the FN fishery?

because he mentioned nets in his post!  ::)

If you're so worried about it get close enough to have a look at their mesh size  Stuart River sockeye swim right through the larger web used for netting springs. Actually up towards Hope there have been very few FN nets in the river for the last two weeks so there is a large compliance with the FN's avoiding the Stuart's. On the other hand there seem to be more bottom bouncers every day for the last week. 15 on Croft Is. over 20 on the scales bar another 25 or 30 at Laidlaw yesterday morning, so who's the guardians of the fisheries now?
  Trevor, you forgot to mention the Osprey doing the flyby 30 ft. away with the sucker in his talons at least one fisherman was doing well. I was back at the same bar Sunday with the same sad results, but it was a good day out in good company and I still haven't ate all of the one I got last weekend.

If you think BBers are having a larger impact on Stuarts than nets you are kidding yourself.   If FN have nets in at New West then they are posing a threat to the endangered Cultus run. Your constant whinning about flossing is starting to get really annoying.  We have heard it all before and I am sick of the holier than thou crap.  I have had reports from the popular bars and the most sockeye caught in one day by BBers was 1 and every one was released quickly in the water and swam away vigorously. What of the recent bar fish in where 2 socks were caught out of only 8 guys!  This proves Bar Fishing is not a selective method so using a spin-n-glo that emits vibrations that attracts them to your hook may be even be more effective at catching early Stuarts because they are few and far between. These very few sockeye that have been caught are reportedly large (around 8lbs) and could easily get caught up in a net.  If DFO thought BBing was a major concern to Early Stuarts they would prohibit it but instead they ask us to try and avoid hooking them which is the best anyone can really do since there is no known method that catches only chinook.  Fishing the fast water rather than the slow water is really the only way to avoid catching them.  Their only other option would be to close down the river to all fishing to ensure no socks are hooked.  If you are that concerned about the Early Stuarts then I suggest you stay away from the river until they have passed.  And please stop making your fellow anglers look bad on the net and trying to make BBing sound like it is having more of an impact on socks then it really is.  That is all I have to say on this topic for the season as I refuse to get dragged in to a mudslinging contest with my fellow anglers.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 10:04:18 AM »

Well said Eagleye,i totally agree with you,that why i stay out of it.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 01:04:04 PM »

FN mesh size is too large for socks? Ya right. DFO has already reported over 30 socks caught and killed by FN.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 01:34:54 PM »

Nosey, while your intention of stopping the floss fishery on the Fraser River is well appreciated, can you please not bringing up the issue in the fishing reports? Everyone's opinion is valued on the discussion forum, however we would like to keep the fishing report section for fishing reports mostly. Discussions of these issues should be brought up in existing threads of the general discussion section.

Thank you. :)

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 07:51:39 PM »

Totally on the mark, Eagleye!  Well said....

nosey

Re: upper fraser(bar-fishing) July 8th
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 07:10:54 AM »

sincerely apologize for highjacking fishing reports to carry on my personal rant will move to general discussion

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
Re: upper fraser(bar-fishing) July 8th
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 02:25:30 PM »

:D ooppps i forgot about that osprey with the sucker ;D im going to try the bar again this weekend so if you are there save me a spot untill then cheers 8)