Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon & Salmon fishing on the Fraser July 15  (Read 1920 times)

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
Sturgeon & Salmon fishing on the Fraser July 15
« on: July 15, 2006, 07:41:23 PM »

Launched at dewdney nature park 12 noon headed up to mouth of vedder about ten other boats in area so began head to up past there towards Bowmans bar . All was good until the dreaded sound of prop meeting rocks was going slow minimal damage thank the fish gods . So we bailed out on trying to make it up to bowmans or grassy and decided to fish mouth of veddar .Anchored just above all the other boats in 44 feet of water  just above river mouth as we were anchoring a monster spring jumped beside the boat. Set one rod up for Sturgie baited with some Smelt and tossed it out there the wife choose to target salmon which i thought was a bad idea in such deep water tossed out a spin n glo  on my mooching rod with a 8 ounce slip weight put it out 19 pulls sat back .  After a few minutes  the Sturgie rod started bouncing grabbed it and it stopped  quick bait check all was gone re baited tossed her back in . Then something hammers the spin n glo jump up to set the hook and it to stops bouncing as i arrive to late again . We tried there for about two hours and no action for us or any of the other boats in our area. So it was down to the middle of hatzic for a while tried the same set up but baited up with a roe bag 2 more hours notta tap on either set up . So back up to the mouth of dewdney slough anchored up there and tossed out the roe and the spin n glo on the other side not long after the sturgie set up starts to bounce around but nothing once i pick it up so i hold it and then more pecks but no takers so another great day on the river with nothing to show did see another jumper just out side the log booms below dewdney a 4 foot sturgie. Back at it tomorrow out to Kilby where i know the river and will be able to access some better water for targetting the mighty Chinooks will post a more successful report tommorrow and might stop in at CANUCK BAR and say hello to all of you good luck tomorrow all .
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 07:43:50 PM by legend »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Sturgeon & Salmon fishing on the Fraser July 15
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 07:48:42 PM »

Thanks for the report Legend.  To bad you didn't really get into anything.  But I don't know if we will be at Canuck Bar?  I think we may be below there though.  Try straight across from boat lauch at Island 22 on the far side of the river.  Other side of the island there. ;) :)  But one never knows, we might wind up at Canuck Bar, who knows!! ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 08:17:32 PM »

I was out at kilby (railway bridge) last weekend and saw nothing, not sure if it's a good idea to head out there yet, but I guess it's worth a try!
Thx for report

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 08:41:52 PM »

Not planning on fishing at Kilby just putting the boat in there and running out to the Fraser to an area i know to target springs near Peg Leg . Hopefully the spots not still under water cause i usually do good there in august. If it is still under water i will drop down near island 22 and maybe i will run into all you guys in that area. I'm sure i will find some good spots around this area as i spend most of my time around this section of the river during august will post and hopefully have some pics of some tyee's.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 10:07:42 PM »

was also out for sturgeon today from shore around Richmond, very slow day, started around 11 and fished off and on till 8pm, only one caught around 3.5 feet right before we left, with only one other solid hit all day, however we did see a number of fish jump and a few sockeye as well.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 07:59:50 AM »

Lucky,that is the spot where it gets tricky and with no bars showing it sure is a guess trying to get up from the Vedder mouth area.

Was up that way a couple weeks ago and it was nasty with slapping water and major current.
Decided to turn around and fish lower for Sturgeon.
Times like that sure makes a guy want to have more than one boat.