Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Guides licences  (Read 4049 times)

Sandy

• Old Timer
Fishing Guides licences
« on: August 13, 2006, 04:43:44 PM »

what licencing is mandetory for

1/  fresh water
2/  tidal

was asked the other day didn't know for sure 
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing Guides licences
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 06:42:34 PM »

provincial guide lic, for freshwater and for salt their is basically nothing only you are required to have  the proper insurance with at least a million dollar liability. This is why I got out of saltwater guiding because everyone and their dog was tring to be a guide
I was told you need to write a test to obtain a guide license for freshwater. Then you can hire associate guides for your business.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 07:42:51 PM »

I also believe that a First Aid Certificate is also a requirement.

mikethesportsfisher

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 07:54:50 PM »

You need to be 19 or older (unless otherwise stated)
You need to write a test (unless otherwise stated)
After 2 years of being an "Assistant Guide" for someone else (unless otherwise stated) , with your assistant guide licence
(199days of guiding and under) you can apply/get your "Head Guide" Licence which allows you to guide 200+ days etc. And once you get a good amount of time in you should also apply for the Fraser Valley Guide Association. Which gets you discounts on insurance etc.

This is all I can remember

Mike <"))))))><
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 07:56:45 PM by mikethesportsfisher »

Muddler

• Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 07:58:08 PM »

You actually have to write a test, primarily based on Wildlife Act, and have insurance etc... Also you have to pay an annual fee and you have to state where you want to fish and how often you plan to fish those systems. They are a little tougher to get now as the gov't is capping certain systems.  

Saltwater on the otherhand is pretty much any mans game. However, be prepared to work really long hours and run your boat lots. Also, be prepared to fish pretty much daily as you have got to be on top of where the fish are.

Getting the license is one thing, but you must really sit down and think if you are cut out for it. 8 hour charters entail 10 - 12 hours with people you will not always see eye to eye with. Furthermore, be prepaired to work HARD. If you are the kind of guide to go sturgeon fishing and fish two spots in a whole day don't plan on having too many return customers.

Guiding is also rewarding too. For example, one of our guides got a guy and his two clients from texas into an exciting 3 hour battle with a 9 foot sturgeon on thursday. Or getting a kid into his/her first trip.

I know you only wanted to know about licensing, but hopefully some one finds this info kinda useful.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 08:33:31 PM »

provincial guide lic, for freshwater and for salt their is basically nothing only you are required to have  the proper insurance with at least a million dollar liability. This is why I got out of saltwater guiding because everyone and their dog was tring to be a guide

What do you mean? That's why you got out of it because everyone was trying to be a "guide"?

What area of the coast was this on? What year? I don't know about you..but there's TONS of opportunity around the coast for owner/operator guides.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 09:22:59 PM »

You need to be 19 or older (unless otherwise stated)
You need to write a test (unless otherwise stated)
After 2 years of being an "Assistant Guide" for someone else (unless otherwise stated) , with your assistant guide licence
(199days of guiding and under) you can apply/get your "Head Guide" Licence which allows you to guide 200+ days etc. And once you get a good amount of time in you should also apply for the Fraser Valley Guide Association. Which gets you discounts on insurance etc.

This is all I can remember

Mike <"))))))><

unless otherwise stated? is this a quote from a reg,why membership to the assoc ,do they police the industry?

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 09:22:34 AM »

thanks for the info, question was asked by relative who is a reporter/researcher for Sky TV in the UK. 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 11:23:13 AM »

Expo 86, that's one of the reason why Ted Peck got out of chartering business. Anyone with a boat and fishing rods could set up a guiding business.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 11:47:01 AM »

Expo 86, that's one of the reason why Ted Peck got out of chartering business. Anyone with a boat and fishing rods could set up a guiding business.
then I guess fair comment would be that anyone may start up in buisness, If you build a reputation for giving a fair deal and all parties are satisfied you will stay in buisness ,but should you not build a good reputation you will only make a marginal living .
this is true to just about any industry.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 11:51:43 AM »

I am not questioning Ted's reputation
I quit a buisness years ago due to the bid system accepting the lowest bidder without consideration to quality of workmanship or that we only hired qualified tradesmen.My feeling is that if you pay peanuts you will get monkeys
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 12:48:27 PM by Sandy »

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 10:13:50 PM »

Sandy now adays your not going to break the bank guiding around the saltwater Vancouver area. Just look at the local reports of how slow the saltwater action is this year. You are better off to apply for the provincial guide lic. and try and make a go with the freshwater end of guiding, more species to target not just salmon.. But just remember it's also getting pretty cutthroat

Well...the same stuff is comin' down for 2009 and 2010...cuz there's plans to have SMOKIN' salt fisheries during those summers...let's just say that in 2010 if all goes well, we're going to have more mature springs in Vancouver than we've seen since the early 1980's.

At any rate, it's quite a bit different now, if someone knows how to market themselves. You shouldn't have a problem to make a living off it---and having a whole lotta fun.

There's a few reputable firms around now, and the better ones are thriving whereas the other guys are soaking the public....

This past spring was BAR NONE the best winter spring fishing lots of locals can remember...English Bay was loaded with keepers..the thing was to fish a bit larger lures so you were fishing for 'em instead of shaking off shakers! .I myself would get out 2 times a week and LIMIT in next to no time with chunky 8 and 10 lb fish.

The hatchery Coho fishery this summer was a BUST..the early run went up the River...then summer run never showed...(at least not yet and they're a good 4 weeks overdue if they were released like past years...I think----they're not coming), and the fall run we'll see what happens.

If you know how to market yourself..you shouldn't have a problem to keep yourself quite busy through the summer. I know of one guy, he's on the water from now til the end of the season....EVERY day for at least a trip..and 80 percent of the day he's doubled up! Bravo!

Hear what you're saying Bill...loud and clear...was thinking on joining the fray here with a charter business myself...however I'd be marketing and running the show instead of skippering and guiding---which is my passion---so it's a catch 22...

There's plenty of room to get back in...the key is to market and position yourself appropriately.

Also, the cost of fuel is MURDER right now..and really slicing the margin down.

Anyways...Bill...what was your favorite rig up in the 80's off the mouth of the Fraser for springs? Bait? Hardware?
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 09:41:43 PM »

live bait, plug-cut and strip, I never troll....  Always got my fish anchored or power mooching off the north arm...

Gotcha.

Liveys are a tough thing to find now...Mosquito Creek if they still have 'em. Mainly there's not a whole lot of 'em around... so

Plug cut has been replaced by 'chovy for the most part...have to cover territory.

However, power mooching does work well from time to time with plug cut in some of the more popular locales for trollers...drives 'em nuts.

One day late in Oct I was powermooching off the Cap and I thought the guide boats were going to KILL me. It still works..just that trolling is now so popular.

Any longtime hardware commercial fellas on the board reading this thread? Getting tired of the usual tackle off the Fraser...looking for alternatives....