Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The annual hunt of Thompson rainbows, August 13th - 15th  (Read 3796 times)

phatwop

Re: The annual hunt of Thompson rainbows, August 13th - 15th
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 07:19:56 PM »

beautiful photos, man those rainbows are heavenly!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 02:14:47 PM »

Part Three

Saturday August 12th (cont.)

Lunch was more like a break. Both of us were rather tired from the heat and the long walk among big boulders. A couple of meat balls and a slice of bread were enough to fill us up. The cold can of coke was so tasty and refueling for the body. :) We sat in the shade for awhile, trying to cool our body down. I was eager to get back on the flow to see if I could finally connect with a fish.

Thirty minutes later, we made our way down to the nearby run again. This time I decided to fish some flatter, deeper water where the current wasn't as turbulent. After a couple of casts, the strike indicator just nudged slightly on the surface. Since we just had our break, I was quite focused so the hook set was pretty precise. Immediately the line peeled off the Islander IR2, a good indication that this was a good sized fish. Suddenly that sun didn't seem so hot anymore, all attention was now on what was darting around at the end of my line. :) Nina rushed over to grab the camera, snapped a few shots during the fight. The fish was eventually landed, a pretty rainbow trout indeed. This fish had a rosy cheek, as well as a light pink colouration across its body. Every rainbow trout that we have caught has its own unique body features, every fish is special.

Seeing my immediate success, Nina wanted to fish the same run too. ;) Because the deeper water was slightly further out, she was limited to her spinning gear with a some spoons and spinners that I have made up. ;) The 1/8 green or blue striped spoons have worked well in the past, so I tied one of those on for her. It only took a few minutes for the Shimano Stradic to start singing. :o

A couple of misses later, I was into another fish. This time it looked like a smaller rainbow, except it was fighting just as hard as the previous fish. :o The amount of jumps these fish perform is amazing, sometimes it feels as if they spend more time in the air than water. :o

Seeing what had been happening during this short period of time, some of the nearby campers decided to come down to take a peek. The parents brought the kids down to see, but also ended up swiming just downstream from us. :P Not to worry though, the fish didn't seem to be disturbed by all the activities. We were able to get a few more hits that were all missed unfortunately. :)

By five o'clock, we decided to take another break. We drove to Juniper Beach and cooked up a light dinner while waiting for Shane and Carlo to arrive.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 02:46:57 PM by Rodney »

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 02:23:17 PM »

wow those are some great pics frome everybody... and Rodney thanx for rubbing in the fact that you get to eat meat balls :(:(   
sounds like a good time..
Rick

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 02:27:59 PM »

Looks like beautiful country up there.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 04:01:50 PM »

rodney i'm goin up next week end what patterns work!
Fish killer 101

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2006, 08:56:50 PM »

Part Four

Sunday August 13th (cont.)

We arrived at Juniper Beach, hoping to cook up a warm meal as the sun sets on the horizon. The heat was still in the air, but the cool breeze from the west was very welcoming. As I started pulling out the stove and pots from the car, I realized, "Matches...!", they were left back at home. ::) Good thing the friendly caretakers at the campground were well equipped and we were saved. ;)

Not long after our meal, Carlo and Shane arrived. We started heading to the runs where we planned to fish for the evening. Shane was hopping from one rock to the next, before we knew it he was way ahead of us. It was almost as if he knew where the fish were going to be. ::) Carlo and I fished a bit downstream, while Nina stood by with the video camera, ready to catch the action on the tape. With the odd small hookups, no large fish were found. Shane later reported landing two 16 inchers on the dry. Near the end of the outing, I managed to connect with a good sized fish briefly just several feet from shore. There were not a whole lot of fish at the end of the day, but still a very enjoyable one.

Here are two more photos taken on that day.

Monday August 14th

It was a late start on our last day. :P After a lengthy breakfast at White Spot, and checking out from the hotel, we arrived back at last evening's spot at around 11:30am. I first gave the dry fly a go, only to have two rises that nudged the fly gently. We then moved to a deeper, slower pool, where Nina could spin with my spoons and spinners again. This time, I sat back with the video camera and waited. The first fish grabbed the blue striped spoon just several feet from the rock where Nina was standing. It was unexpected as the water was only a couple of feet deep. It was a big fish, which leaped straight out in front of her, so close that she could almost grab it, but proceeded to fall off the hook as it dove back into the drink.

The next fish grabbed the spoon as it was retrieved from upstream. This one fought quite differently. It turned out to be a fat northern pikeminnow. Check out the maximal fin extension of this fish when the photo was taken, very pretty in my opinion. It was rather dark, the interior fish look quite different to the ones that we catch in the tidal Fraser River, which are usually silver.

We then moved further down to the end of the pool, where it looked very promising for a spoon or spinner. It only took two or three casts before Nina hooked another one, which peeled the line off the reel extremely fast. I thought it maybe a jack chinook for a second. The entire fighting scene was caught on film, a chrome looking trout around 16 inches was released at the end. Nina proceeded to hook and lose a couple more fish, they seemed to fall off quite easily if the hook set wasn't hard enough. The Thompson rainbow trout lived up to their fame, by darting all over the pool, very powerful for fish that are only 16 to 20 inches long. The spinning outfit performed fantastic. Nina then wanted to switch to a spinner. I tied on a 1/8oz spinner with a green blade that we have been using for northern pikeminnow. It only took one cast for her to get into another fish! :o

After manning the camera for awhile and watching her getting into half a dozen fish, I was eager to get back on the fly rod. I wanted to move to a new run, where it would be more suitable for flyfishing. Nina insisted that I should cast into the pool where she had been getting the fish. I thought, what the heck, let's give that a go. The first cast brought the fly to the middle of the hook, within seconds the strike indicator was gone! I set the hook, only to find the line peeling off my hand really fast. I thought, "What a nice trout this is!" The run lasted for about ten seconds as the fish made its way to the main channel, then it stopped. ::) I began reeling in the line, making my way to Nina who had the camera rolling. The fish popped its head up right in front of us, it was a gigantic northern pikeminnow. ::) While trying to reach the hook, the fish popped off and went back to its merry way. A video of this will be shown later. ;D

Carlo and Shane showed up soon after the northern pikeminnow, they made their way up as we continued to fish the pool. Nina casted the spinner again, this time into the more turbulent run where I thought spinners would never do well. I was wrong. It only took about three winds on the spinning reel before the spool started screaming! Jack spring, no hope I thought! Wrong again, it was another nice rainbow trout. :P

We finished the day at 3:30pm, exhausted by the heat and walk, but fairly satisfied with the result. Well, Nina was satisfied, I only landed two trout during the whole trip. ::)

Our Thompson River outfit was pretty simple. We were equipped with a couple of Islander IR2 reels and 9'6" Stryker Rainshadow fly rods. The rods were either 4 or 5 weight, light enough to cast all day, with enough strength to handle all the trout in the river. The fly line was connected with a 9 feet leader, I used 6lb test Maxima Ultragreen line, followed by either a dry or wet fly. For the dry fly, Daryl at Reaction Fly and Tackle recommended California Blonde, while Nina and I had good success with Kaufman stoneflies for nymphing. The strike indicator was a great asset for me, just about all my fish hooked were with a strike indicator. I had the depth adjusted between 3 to 5 feet, depending on the time of the day.

For a change of scenary and pace, some of you maybe interested in giving the Thompson rainbow trout fishery a try in the future. :)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2006, 09:10:25 PM »

Again Great report Rodney!!  Awesome pics and sounds like you guys had an awesome time up there.   :) ;D

OK so everybody now, YEAH!!!  Rodney caught some fish!!!  ;D ;D  Was looking kinda bleak there for a bit!! ;D

Don't mind me, just kinda jealous as I have never been able to make it out to that fabulous river!! :P ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2006, 09:15:58 PM »

indeed, awsome report once again, Those are some great photos
weeeeeeeeeow!

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2006, 09:20:45 PM »

Rodney thanks for that excellent report, well atleast i'll know that the fish are hitting the fly when i go up next week! Great pics, how light spinning gear was nina using she should have been able to handle a jack! But atleast u got to go out to such a beautiful place! I'll be up there soon enough! Big Steel u sure are missing out, that river is full with springs right now,(thats why i'm going up next week, and for the trout) good luck to u where ever ur fishing!

Once again rodney great reports!
Fish killer 101