Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hot coarse fishing August 15  (Read 4586 times)

joshuag232

Hot coarse fishing August 15
« on: August 16, 2006, 01:00:47 PM »

Fished at Londons Landing yesterday for about 5 hours. Arrived there at 2:00 and started fishing. Every cast i'd get a fish or bite. Some of the people were getting pissed that they couldnt catch anything :D . I was the only person steadily catching fish i was fish the right corner facing the dock when you come down the ladder.  I must have caught at least 100 shiners 10 bullheads and like 30 small pikeminows, 5 chubs and 5 medium sized pikeminnows and a prettygood sized one must have been two pounds. I was using shrimp for bait. The big pikeminnow put up a good fight on my spinning rod. The coarse fishing has really picked up since last month i remembr going there and stayng for 5 hours and only catching like 4 pikeminnows.  :P   

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Hot coarse fishing August 15
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 02:07:46 PM »

Good on you Josh. ;D We were there until 1pm yesterday and the fishing picked up during the last hour when we were there.

The fishing today was even better. ;) A report will come soon. :)

joshuag232

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 02:29:37 PM »

Aw man if I was a couple hours earlier i wuld have saw u guys there  :)    Ya i agree with you as soon as i got there fishing was hot for like 3 hours then it slowed down to next to nothing as i was leavng at 7. Looking forward to the report  :)

joshuag232

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 04:00:07 PM »

drift

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 04:45:21 PM »

Nice size,people actually eat those things?

joshuag232

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 05:08:35 PM »

ya they actutally taste really good if you prepare them right but there quite bony

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 05:51:32 PM »

Josh, that plate, isn't that one of those plates where we put soy sauce and wasabi in at the Japanese restaurants? ;D

Just kidding, nice fish. They are indeed very edible but just a bit bony. Some actually prefer the white flesh of a pikeminnow than a salmon, it is simply a personal preference. :)

My usual locations have not been producing large pikeminnows yet, but hopefully I will find some attacking my spinners soon. :)

joshuag232

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 06:49:18 PM »

haha lol

drift

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 08:22:51 PM »

hmm interesting,how are they best prepared?

joshuag232

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 08:35:54 PM »

not sure how others prepare them but i steam it with soy sauce, peanut oil, ginger and green onions

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 08:50:08 PM »

do they have a smelly fishy taste.....

Anyone else ever eat thee things......... :-\
see ya on the river

weizen

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 10:42:13 PM »

Thanks for asking fishfreak...I was wondering the same thing?  Is it just location and time?  I can understand if you only have a few hours and don't want to make the trip out to the end of the valley for the sox, but still...bullhead fishing?  What gives? 

As fishfreak said...just curious, don't mean to step on any toes, just trying to understand.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 10:52:17 PM »

Is there any other reason why you guys spend time on catching bullheads and other things when there is salmon running right now ?? I would easily prefer a sockeye or spring over a pike minnow, just curious to know thats all   ;)

The poster is just 14 years old. Too young to drive. Perhaps his dad don't have time to take him fishing. I remember when I was that age I would head down to the local wharf and catch shiners, perch, flounders, bullheads. Those were excellent times ! Of course I would take the fish home to have my mother cooked them up. I learned the hard way that some fish were more palatable than others.  :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 11:00:00 PM »

Plenty of salmon coming up between September and November. ;) I personally don't need more than a few hatchery coho salmon per year for myself, family members and the occasional dinner parties among friends. Sockeye? Not an appealing fishery to me when the driving involves at least 4 hours per outing and the technique doesn't satisfy my fishing needs (the need to see that float burial, that rod tip being tapped).

Josh is a teen, so his options are limited. Plus, I believe he has enough fish for the year from his recent trip. ;)

For me, satisfaction in fishing isn't always measured by how palatable or plentiful the harvest is. It used to be. As a teen, fishing meant taking every fish home back in Australia. So what's with the coarse fish? At London's Landing Pier, where many kids fish and where we host our youth fishing camp, an angler has the chance of encountering up to ten different species of fish. That is very exciting. Seeing every kid who reels something in and not knowing what it might be is a rush. With the right tackle, catching them can be just as exciting. :) Personally I prefer to fish on a floating dock with 20 other kids than getting caught up with the Fraser River salmon hype.

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 11:18:42 PM »

Come on, what is so special about salmon?  ::)

I am very serious when I say that I think salmon fishing is overrated. I prefer lake or pier fishing anytime  :)