Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Black gold lodge - Goose Bay Rivers Inlet  (Read 4001 times)

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
Black gold lodge - Goose Bay Rivers Inlet
« on: August 17, 2006, 01:50:53 PM »

I spent 4 days up in Rivers Inlet last week and had a geat time. There are so many huge Coho around and when they come on the bite double headers are not uncommon. There were also a few decent spring landed 55 - 60 LB's were not uncommon. One guy had a sprng on for over 3 hours and lost it next to the boat. i am not sure what happened there but as the net went into the water, the rod flicked streight.. One "P" fisherman no doubt, I wonder if they are still friends.

I fished Cranstoun Point most of the time because there were two huge bait balls that kept us all excited when they surfaced. When we were gutting the fish, they were full of small fry and small prawn. I ssume this is what the bait balls were.

We were 12 Guys and we all caught good Salmon and a couple of big Halibut to boot 46lb and 68lb's and a hand full of chickens. ;D ;D

The wildlife was amasing, everyday we saw the Orca's and hump backs, bears and bird life was amazing...

In a nut shell... we had a great time.

www.blackgoldlodge.com

so now we are off to the fraser gong show... what a let down, but a fisher person must do what he/she needs to do
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
Re: Black gold lodge - Goose Bay Rivers Inlet
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 02:24:37 PM »

Wow sounds like a great trip ......

Three hours for a spring ???????  thats kinda far fetched me thinks lol

was he using a light spincaster and 4 lb mainline ???????

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 03:23:29 PM »

I've seen a guy play a fish for easily an hour and a half using 30 lb mainline, and it was never seen..also at River's Inlet.  There are some very big fish.  Wouldn't be surprised if the odd guest every couple of years ties into something 75 lbs or better up there.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 04:09:02 PM »

thickrick thats easily possible. Its rivers inlet?known for its massive chinooks to 100lbs+. If they were using 20lb main with a 70-80 pound fish and an inexperienced fisherman the fight could go on all day.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 04:22:22 PM »

Yeah I guess you are right.... imagine how tired that poor fish is at the end of it

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

gofishing

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 04:23:58 PM »

Quote:    "Its rivers inlet? known for its massive chinooks to 100lbs+."  ::) :o ::)

If you have you actually seen or caught one over 100 pounds????   If so that would have been a new World's Record.  The current World's Record for the largest Chinook Salmon was caught in Alaska (Kenai River) 97 pounds.  Fact is it was not caught at Rivers Inlet and was not over 100 pounds as you state.  Nor is it common to catch chinooks over 100 pounds anywhere.  

Just so you yourself have your facts straight.  

GOFISHING  
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. - Koos Brandt

It's alright to drink like a fish - if you drink what a fish drinks. - Mary Pettibone Poole

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 04:44:28 PM »

Read what i said buddy. Obviously they arent common im not an idiot and i never said that nor did i say they have been sport caught there. Commercially they have and the area is known for big springs there still are very large fish left.  So it is possible and im sure some unreal fish have been lost. So if you want to start a fight why dont you go fish the fraser and floss some sockeye with a bunch of beeks

Just so you yourself have your facts straight. ;D

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 05:14:18 PM »

From wikipedia site - The commercial catch world record is 127 pounds caught in British Columbia waters on display in the Vancouver Airport.   :D  That would be a treat.

I thought there was one bigger at 130 + in a Russian Fish trap, maybe some one else has some info on that.

gofishing

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 05:54:26 PM »

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :P
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. - Koos Brandt

It's alright to drink like a fish - if you drink what a fish drinks. - Mary Pettibone Poole

goblin59

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 07:06:16 PM »

I fished Rivers Inlet every year starting about 1990 (a few times twice in 1 year) for about 8 or 9 years in a row.... I have a buddy who's family owns one of the lodges up there. It is very common to have a spring on for 2 hours plus. Their lodge and I think "most" of the other lodges use 20lb. mainline and 20lb. leader. My personal best up there is a meager 40 lbs and took 1 hour and 45 minutes to land.... the fish tend to sound about 250 feet and play "try and pull me up" with you ;) ;)., but I have seen some monsters landed with the biggest being 72lbs, caught off "the Wall". If you go to the head of the Inlet 70 pounders are kinda common. Most of the lodges in Rivers and up at Hakai Pass run a hatchery on one of the rivers up there. They catch their broodstock (or use to) by hook and line, and was told of dead fish carcasses that "still" weighed over 100 lbs.
Rivers Inlet is certainly one of the absolute best places anywhere to catch monster springs

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 07:31:29 PM »

I was fishing at buntzen and a young handicape man said he has seen springs 200-300lbs in the vedder :), we had a good chuckle
weeeeeeeeeow!

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 09:21:52 PM »

FYI-Every year Fisheries find spawned out Spring Salmon that top 90# dead on the banks of the Whonnock River-one of the main rivers that flow into the Inlet.

3 years ago one they said would go over 100# had 2 commercial styled rigs and a sports mooching rig in it's mouth yet survived to spawn and die a natural death.

http://tinyurl.com/oen5y

BTW-the cast of that 120+# was on display @ the South Terminal for years and was featured in the old BC Sportfishing mag.

Some of the people on this thread should get out of the double wide a bit.....

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 09:48:44 PM »

I was fishing at buntzen and a young handicape man said he has seen springs 200-300lbs in the vedder :), we had a good chuckle

ive seen em pushing 400 in there ;) ::)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 09:52:57 PM »

And 18 lb. cohos are common in the Capilano, if you know where to look. ;D

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 10:16:49 PM »

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :P

thats the problem with forums everyone looks for arguements before doing the research