Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sox on the fraser aug 18th  (Read 5997 times)

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: sox on the fraser aug 18th
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 09:10:27 AM »

Wow cody that sucks, u should have kicked the guy in the sack! I once had a limit argument with another fisher man but because my dad was downstream and i was a kid he didn't listen until some guy came over and settled it, then he just took off with his ilegal fish! JUST BECAUSE WERE KIDS DOESN'T MEAN WERE DUMB!  >:( Oh and thats great that steelhead might have made it to the thompson by next week (when i am going to be there fishing) I think this is ludacris! >:(
Fish killer 101

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 10:57:13 AM »

I agree with Nicole.

Based upon the report by TRK, the fish was already dead when the species came into question.  At that point it's pretty much a mute argument. Either way he shouldn't have kept it, but if it was only pointed out to him after it was dead what's the guy to do?  UNLESS (And this is a big unless) he knew instantly it was a steelhead and bonked, gilled it before anyone would say anything, then claim he thought it was a spring ect, then he's just an A$$hole.

But good for the two of you for speaking up, let's hope nicole is right and they're not about to start beating up a young guy!

Well i could probobly beat up the guy lol, we was maybe 5'10 and skinny, and im 6'0,lol he took it and ran off though
weeeeeeeeeow!

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 12:46:16 PM »

:owow seems like alot of excitement i missed  8)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2006, 01:26:46 PM »

The guy never knew it was a steelhead, he beached it then gilled it and showed us the fish, then we said it was a steelhead, along with some other adults,
weeeeeeeeeow!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2006, 02:03:44 PM »

Excellent advices Bill. To avoid lengthy arguments, it may also be a good idea to carry fish id cards as well as relevant fishery notices with you when these situations take place again.

weizen

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2006, 03:50:41 PM »

The guy never knew it was a steelhead, he beached it then gilled it and showed us the fish, then we said it was a steelhead, along with some other adults,

So what happens?  Even if he agreed with you it was a steelhead, what's the guy to do after it's already dead?   

Other than the fact he denied it (again after the fish is dead) what more could he have done.

If I'm not mistaken the only issue here is that he didn't Admit the species once it was already dead.

Rod:  What does the regs say about this?  If he honestly thought it was a spring upon killing it, then finds out it's a steelhead, what should he have done? 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2006, 03:56:58 PM »

Rod maybe you can clarify this one, I was told when I bought my freshwater license that if a C/O asks you to produce a copy of the regulation and you can't it could be a $100.00 fine.  Is this true or not, since being told this I always carry a copy of the regs in my vest and have a copy in my boat.

You may be subject to a fine. It's up to the discretion of the CO. He may let you off by having you produce the licence at a later date. Depends on the day he's having. Same rule as a police officer pulling you over and you can't produce your driver's licence.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2006, 04:03:00 PM »

Rod maybe you can clarify this one, I was told when I bought my freshwater license that if a C/O asks you to produce a copy of the regulation and you can't it could be a $100.00 fine.  Is this true or not, since being told this I always carry a copy of the regs in my vest and have a copy in my boat.

You may be subject to a fine. It's up to the discretion of the CO. He may let you off by having you produce the license at a later date. Depends on the day he's having. Same rule as a police officer pulling you over and you can't produce your driver's license.

I believe he was asking if you get a fine for not carrying a copy of the regs, not a fine for not having your license with you!! ;) :)  I can't see getting a fine for not carrying around a copy of the regs.  That would be a....  well anyhow.  I could see a fine for not having your license, but one for not carrying the regs, I know that I have never carried the regs with me.  Never been asked to produce a copy either. :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2006, 04:08:39 PM »

I never carry the fishing regulations with me. Neither does my friends, brother or nephew. I have been checked on the odd occasion and have never been asked to produce the regulations.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2006, 11:50:23 PM »

Well unfortunately, if you bonk a fish that is illegal to keep you have to suffer the consequences.  When we go out and fish we have a responsibility to insure we are following the regulations for the stream or lake we are fishing on. That would mean at the very least, I hope reading the regulations, and being able to identify the different fish species.  So even though this person who killed the steelhead did so by mistake he still committed an offence.
Now if this individual had called Fish and Wildlife, and called himself in .....maybe the Conservation Officer would have been lenient on him.
But by running away, it is my understanding that he would face a fine, seizure of fishing gear used to catch the fish, and possible suspension of his fishing license.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2006, 12:22:49 AM »

If the fish in question is a closed species you cant keep it under any circumstance.

Doesnt matter if the fish jumped in your boat and cleaned itself,you must return it to the river.Dead or alive.

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2006, 01:08:39 AM »

sad to hear that another fisherman can't tell the diff between species

goblin59

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2006, 09:03:34 AM »

Thats what I thought too..... if you accidently kill a fish you can't keep, it must be released back into the river.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2006, 11:08:42 AM »

That's why I asked Rod to clarify this one. I was told this when I renewed my freshwater licence and I don't plan on paying a fine if it is true

I've never heard of this, not really sure, but find it unlikely. I've been checked by both DFO officers and conservation officers over a dozen times (not sure why so many times, they can't seem to get off my back! ;D ) and have never been told to produce a copy of the regulations.

fishfinder

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2006, 01:00:05 PM »

Never been asked to produce a reuglation book by CO or DFO, but I always carry a B.C. Freshwater regulation synopsis. It’s small and it fits nicely in my vest. I like to have it so I know which river allows retention of coho two over certain size and two under, and which river allows retention of four. Also it comes in handy if you are planning to keep chinook jacks as the allowable size differs from river to river.