Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GOODNESS of sockeye fishery  (Read 8192 times)

liketofish

• Old Timer
GOODNESS of sockeye fishery
« on: September 08, 2006, 12:53:26 PM »

Ok, we have talked enough trashes & sins of the sockeye fishery. How about, for a change, talk about its goodness, despite objection from the point of ethics by some members. There's got to be some goodness to the fishery if you take the positives. Come on guys, think about it, even as bad as Saddam Hussein, he didn't kill any of his kids, or did he?  ;D  As ugly as Bin Ladin, he didn't send any of his family members on suicide bombing missions either.  ;D  So, even if you oppose or hate the 'bad & ugly' fishery, you must be able to think about something good despite its faults. You've got to be fair, otherwise you look too biased or brain-washed against the fishery.  ;D

How about one positive point from each person. You can repeat or express your agreement on points other members already express too, so we can see how you value this fishery.  I start first.

***** For a time, you have become a superman or superkid to your family ******

Well, last coho & steelhead season you might look too miserable, not a fish to show. You wife & kids scorned you when you came home empty most of the time. Your wife might start suspecting where you actually went.  :(  Now you limited out repeately before 7:00am and load your dinner table with delicious fish. Your family now think you are their hero, and that your fishing skill, as reflected by your limit catch in no time, seems to have improved drastically and looks out of the world to them.   :o  So they will cheer you on and kiss you good bye to send you on your upcoming coho fishing trips, expecting your limit catch (4 fish) in no time too...., and expecting you to come home early to go shopping, lunch, movie, & dinner with you.....  Good luck my friends.   :D :D  But at least for a time in summer, you look superman (or superfisherman) to them....  ;D ;D ;D  Up Up & Away !!!!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 01:25:37 PM by liketofish »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: GOODNESS of sockeye fishery
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 01:07:57 PM »

Takes the pressure off my local fishing hole

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 01:18:30 PM »

Good post !!
I had a good time this year, I only made it out a grand total of four times to the Bar this year but everytime I went I think I met a new member from this site.. that was a good thing for me, I also was able to bring home a few nice salmon for my girl which was a nice thing, and I was able to give my girls father a few fish which made him very happy which is a very good thing because soon I am going to ask him for his daughters hand :) lol
Over all it was a good year and I did not really run into any troubles, just the odd ignorant person who was trying to cause trouble
Rick

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

weizen

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 02:19:26 PM »

Despite all the opinions out there, once you've got a fish on the end of your line, its ALWAYS a fun time bringing it in and playing a fish.  I'll never get tired of the feeling of a fish on your line.

That and the tasty meat......you just can't beat a sockeye.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 03:54:52 PM »

TR, that is one I never thought of. What a deal! Sockeye to land a girl, LOL!  :D

fishinmansam

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 05:20:00 PM »

i noe flossing is entirly over and all but how exacltly do u make a setup for flossing so you get so much action? like size of hook compare the size of corky to someting and what weights, how much leader. thanks guys ill need it for next season.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 05:51:11 PM »

I had an automatic in with my father in law to marry his daughter, he use to guide and i love to fish , what more is there to ask for

Man you would think if you learned from a guide you would be able to get a fish to bite youre presentation..
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 11:58:36 PM »

Yep, it is a fishery that is so productive that the whole family want to be there to enjoy the good time in summer. Many memorable moments will stay with the children for life, remembering how they spent some quality time with their father or parents every summer.

It is the only fishery which brings about economic boom to the area, attracting fishing tourists from all over the world.

Like Nuggy, I didn't find sockeye fishermen that rude or hostile, even in Pegleg. Most people are genuinely helpful and friendly. I guess it also depends on your own attitude that you carry to the river. A helpful and sharing sockeye fisherman will not make too many enemies around you. I also notice in some popular bars, sockeye fishermen are generally not that bad. They understand that sometimes lines will cross each other, just a price you pay to fish in crowded condition.

Yep, when you give away a sockeye to friends & relatives, or even to a needy widow, you just see the tremendous appreciation in return. Sockeye does work some magic there. If you give away a bass, will you still land your girl?  ;D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 12:00:53 AM by funfish »

Salmon-Slayer

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 12:51:57 AM »

This was my first year fishing for Sockeye and did I ever have a blast...  For me the positive would be the display of Sockeye Aerials.   I can now say, I have had a fish jump 5 times in a single fight.   It's a beautiful thing. ;)     And I thought steelhead where the big jumpers   :-\

AWFT

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 12:56:25 AM »

hmmmmm....sockeye taste good...

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 10:28:20 AM »

Very few members saying anything good about the fishery. Liketofish says it right. There are members here who are totally biased or brainwashed about the 'bad & ugly' sockeye fishery that they cannot even say one good thing about the fishery. It is as if they say one good thing about it, their 'saintly fishing status' will be tainted. That is how unfair this sockeye fishery has been viewed. I don't think I personally will take seriously any of these anti flossing members' view on this fishery from now on.   ;)

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 04:16:56 PM »

Re: GOODNESS of sockeye fishery  :P

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 04:29:32 PM »

The real goodness comes out when their cooked to perfection. Unfortunately garbage is everywhere slobs leave it, even if they don't fish.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 12:11:14 AM »

That is right. You go to any rock concerts, any fire-work shows, any car-racings, any vedder river camp sites, any large crowd gatherings, you will see these messes. Even theatres, just watch what's left after the shows.  It has nothing to do with sockeye fishery, just watch all the garbages dumped along the freeway requiring constant cleaning. What has it to do with fishing, or for that matter sockeye fishing. It is the ulgy part of human nature. When there is a large pouplation sample, you will see the bad ones. You take a small village or town, you will not hear of a murder in years. You take any big city, including our beloved Vancouver, ranked #2 city in the world, you cannot avoid hearing about murders, rapes, robbery & what have you, day in & day out. Just facts of life.  :( Therefore, be fair to most law-abiding and nature-caring sockeye fishermen.  :) 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 12:19:40 AM by funfish »

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 04:40:30 PM »

so where were all these  law-abiding and nature-caring sockeye fishermen on sat?
I could have used some help.Personally I dont think there are any.