Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: SIGHT FISHING , LONG LINING , SNAGGING  (Read 41906 times)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: SIGHT FISHING , LONG LINING , SNAGGING
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2006, 12:14:31 PM »

I think there should be a regulation that prohibits people from dragging fish up on the bank not just a suggestion of proper handling techniques.

In Washinton State it is illegal to remove wild steelhead from the water. Perhaps something similar to this could be apropriate.
Actions speak louder than words.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2006, 12:15:54 PM »

do you really think raising the cost of licenses would increase the funding for fish habitat and hatcheries?

Personally, I would be willing to pay more for my licence if I knew the money was going to a good cause (habitat enhancement, hatchery production where need be, increased enforcement for all user groups) but before I pay more I would like to see 100% of the monies collected from the Salmon Conservation Surcharge Stamp actually go to Salmon Conservation.

Ribwart

« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2006, 12:24:06 PM »

but before I pay more I would like to see 100% of the monies collected from the Salmon Conservation Surcharge Stamp actually go to Salmon Conservation.

Why, where are the funds going right now? I like biffchan's idea too....

In Washinton State it is illegal to remove wild steelhead from the water. Perhaps something similar to this could be apropriate.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2006, 12:29:13 PM »

but before I pay more I would like to see 100% of the monies collected from the Salmon Conservation Surcharge Stamp actually go to Salmon Conservation.

Why, where are the funds going right now?
[/quote]

The way it is now, only 1 dollar from each stamp sold goes to salmon conservation and the rest goes to general revenue.

Ribwart

« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2006, 12:33:03 PM »

General revenue? What is general revenue used for, do you know?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2006, 12:48:38 PM »

With current level of regulation it is adequate it's the enforcement part that's not.  
Becareful what you want to propose into fishing regulations.  If outdoor activities becomes such a hassel we might end up pushing those young kids more into clubing, pubs, arcades/computer games.....

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2006, 01:20:02 PM »

some of your proposals make sense, however, i feel uncomfortable with most of them because they gear towards turning our sport into an elitist activity.

do you really think raising the cost of licenses would increase the funding for fish habitat and hatcheries?

right now recreational fishermen invest 12 million dollars annually towards bc's tourist/ outdoor industry, yet the problems on the rivers have become more pronounce. we need to find a way to change people's attitude towards the problems of snagging, not change the make up of the sport to suit your own personal needs or desires....ie shorten leaders, but should not apply to flyfishers..... make a buffer of 5 ft between fishers, flyfishers need more...  sounds like Nicole, you want to create restrictions that don't apply to you.  try addressing the problems with flyfishers first then move on to the rest of us because flossing/snagging is not a nonflyfisher epidemic.

All I'm saying with this statement is that restrictions will not work for some user groups, such as flyfishers. So to be inclusive of all groups, maybe the leader length issue cannot be brought into play, as some flyfishers legitimately fish using long leaders sometimes it is required.

Actually, most often I'm using 6-7 feet of leader on my slime line, 10-13 feet off a dry line, and 2-3 feet off a tip so there you go.

And 99.9% of my fish are hooked inside the mouth.

I should also mention that I still use a gear rod for certain conditions, particularly early season steelhead, and I also have a loooong history fishing roe... So I understand and respect all the user groups... Not just the flyfishers.

Cheers,
Nicole

« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 01:34:47 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

frenchy

« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2006, 05:59:30 PM »

NO TRANSLATERS FOR THE EXAM, if you can't read what is clearly written in front of you too bad. How do you survive in a country where everyone else speaks/reads english. ??? (Something ICBC should also do for new drivers!!!! How can you read the signs if you can't read english?)
1. I do not see the point, even if you do not speak English you may be a good or ethical or wathever you want to call it fisherman
1. You do not need to live in a country to fish in this country (some big $$ of the fish industry come from tourists I think)
2. There is a big difference between being able to speak and read a language in order to be able to live in a society (I think I do that) and knowing all the specific words that are related to one specific activity (I would not know what are gums, gills, split shots, swivel... If I did not read the internet sites in English)
3. Est ce que tu parles français? je crois que le français est également une langue officielle de ton pays.
4. I really like the possibility ICBC offers for the road test (even if I passed the test in english). According to me it reflects the open minds of the Canadien for other cultures which really contrasts with the racism I can see in France.

Concerning kicking the fish: The first fish I saw caught in BC was a steelhead. The guy dragged it on the gravel, removed his hook, kicked it further away and started laughing with his friend while the poor fish was dying on the shore... Not a good first impression... Please, even if you keep your fish, show some respect for these beautiful creatures.

I do not know what you think about that, but in France when you want to fish for Atlantic salmon you have to pay something like a conservation stamp to fish and if you want to keep a fish, you have to buy a ring and put this ring on the fish as soon as you catch it. In my opinion, it gives more "value" to each individual fish you catch.

frenchy

« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2006, 06:32:16 PM »

no problem, I understand why you said that now

Ribwart

« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2006, 07:40:35 PM »

in France when you want to fish for Atlantic salmon you have to pay something like a conservation stamp to fish and if you want to keep a fish, you have to buy a ring and put this ring on the fish as soon as you catch it. In my opinion, it gives more "value" to each individual fish you catch.

I really, really like that Idea frenchy...I like it a lot! we should add that idea to the list for sure...

And your points were very well put and delivered with class,
thx,
rib

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2006, 08:21:53 PM »

The main reason I think the licences should be so expensive is because only die hard fisherman that truly love the sport would be willing to spend so much on a licence to fish, I belive the extra costs would get rid of a lot of the undesirebles that now infest the rivers !!!!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2006, 09:58:38 PM »

General revenue? What is general revenue used for, do you know?

It goes to the government coffers and is used for government expenditures (<---anything and everything).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 10:01:25 PM by Eagleye »

Murkeywaters

• Life long angler, arrived in BC Nov 2005 from UK
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2006, 10:48:54 PM »

Hi all,

I know I've already made this point but no one responded.

Why not just make the whole Vedder catch and release for all species - full stop?

I assume from the lack of response no one likes this idea, which is fine but I just don't understand why? Can someone tell me why true sport anglers don't want this when it seems to me it would solve a huge amount of the problems? Perhaps you think it wouldn't - it'd be good to know why?

Some one suggested C&R every other day, so I'm not the only one thinking along these lines.

It just seems like a very simple solution to the problem that is other wise going to be nigh on impossible to solve.

I'd honestly just like to know why more people don't suggest this and what reasons people have against it?

cheers,

Paul.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2006, 11:26:34 PM »

The main reason I think the licences should be so expensive is because only die hard fisherman that truly love the sport would be willing to spend so much on a licence to fish, I belive the extra costs would get rid of a lot of the undesirebles that now infest the rivers !!!!

i understand where you're coming from and i understand where Nicole is coming from. what i'm trying to say is lets focus on the root of the problem and attack it from that vantage point.  to exclude the poor or the naive is just plain wrong.

how do you become a die hard fisherman, if you can't even afford to get started?  ....Golf is a prime example, Tiger Woods mentioned that if it wasn't for his parent's sacrifice, he would have never been able to pick up a golf club.

there's already alot of activities that most kids can't participate in because their parents can't afford to pay the start up cost, ie. hockey, skiing, golf, and so on.... parents nowadays struggle to balance the sheet at the end of the month, why include our sport to that list?

myself, i can afford to pay extra for my license and tags but i'm dead set against it because when i was a boy, my parents couldn't afford to enroll me in some of the sports i wanted to join.   fishing became an outlet that help fill the void that my parent's lack of finances couldn't.

That would make me the biggest hypocrite, if i was to support that idea.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2006, 12:14:25 AM »

I remember when a license was five bucks for fresh and 0 for salt. I remember more CO's out here than DFO personnel. That was to stop the people who would abuse the resource. There was always people to abuse it. Seen it too many times over too many years.

As for a catch and release fishery, that doesn't always stop abuses from bragging rights fishermen, and you would still get a few people who would use any method to show off a picture of their catch. For whatever purpose, some people want to be known as the big game hunter, probably basic instinct, and to get a few babes while their at it (again basic instinct). ;D Like yours truly. Tom Vu's got nothing on me.

But to be serious about it, you have to enforce rules that are acceptable, that aren't too limiting to people who can't understand what all the fuss is about, or can't afford it ( like charging people to get exercise in our beautiful parks). Educating people to issues, that if you love this resource you protect it, for your own basic fulfillment from hunting down your quarry and gently releasing something threat doesn't need to fill the freezer up. To something that provides peace of mind in beautiful surroundings. Or whatever reason drives you to fish.

Stick up for the resource, and ask where your license monies go.

If people bottom bounce on the Fraser for Sockeye, that run in the millions at times and get their jollies so be it. As long as they don't threaten the resource. And understand that that won't mince on other stocks or streams. You won't find the same numbers of Coho running up the Fraser as they did years back. It was Chinook that were in short supply. And of course Steelhead. The regs have to reflect the reality of the current fish stocks and be applied with caution. In favor of the resource. I still think that nets indiscriminately catch more fish than alot of snaggers.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11