Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SIGHT FISHING , LONG LINING , SNAGGING  (Read 41987 times)

phatwop

Re: SIGHT FISHING , LONG LINING , SNAGGING
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2006, 12:20:05 AM »

why are these fish tied up with rope? :o

Posting these for Chris.

Yes this was the scene at KWB today for those that have not seen it before. ::)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2006, 12:22:42 AM »

I would think to prevent them from drifting away.

phatwop

« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2006, 12:39:09 AM »

could i ask why someone would have tied these fish  up with rope and just left them? is it just to get the roe from them later? why do they leave the rope in the fish?  i am not familiar with what goes on up at the vedder, so i ask....
thank you.

Ribwart

« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2006, 12:45:19 AM »

my guess is someone intended on taking them home and then scurried away without them when they were confronted, or when they saw a co approaching.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2006, 09:31:13 AM »

I don't have a lot of money , but throughout my whole life if I really wanted something I always found a way to get it!! A couple of hundred bucks for a licence would be a steep price but my point is that if you really really wanted to fish you would find a way to raise the money, hell we have a couple of young guys on this site that work hard and save up enough money to buy themselves beautiful center pin reels !!!!! I honestly believe only those who truly truly love the sport of fishing would be willing to spend such money on a licence and it would get rid of a lot of meat hunters!!!!!!!!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2006, 09:35:35 AM »

I would think to prevent them from drifting away.
Thats correct as a number of people in this area do this and when they are ready to leave they come and pick them up. Later in the day when I went down to do a cleanup of garbage they were all gone but 1.

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2006, 09:36:09 AM »

I honestly believe only those who truly truly love the sport of fishing would be willing to spend such money on a licence and it would get rid of a lot of meat hunters!!!!!!!!

Or a lot more poachers....

I dunno about more expensive licenses, everyone should be able to get into and enjoy fishing, regardless of social status.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2006, 09:59:04 AM »

I am with Nina on this one. I think that you would get alot more people out there fishing without a liscence. I would love to see how many people on the river actually carry a liscence at the price it is now. I bet there is a number of them out there that probable do not even have the salmon stamp.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2006, 10:38:30 AM »

I am with Nina on this one. I think that you would get alot more people out there fishing without a liscence. I would love to see how many people on the river actually carry a liscence at the price it is now. I bet there is a number of them out there that probable do not even have the salmon stamp.

Then it all comes down to enforcement !! you have to realize that there are a high number of people fishing the rivers right now that have a blatant disregard for the rules and if you talk to them they just don't give a Sh!$.... in order for anything to change the rules we already have need to be reinforced.. if they aren't what is the point of creating new rules????? I truly believe that all it would take is a few strong examples made !!! if someone keeps a snagged fish tke away all there gear and fine them $1000 ... if they are using a barbed or treble hook do the same... if someone is a repeat offender take away their car, fine them $5000 if the punishment was scary not that many people would be willing to break the rules any more !!!! It seems almost too simple yet nobody takes action.... we don't need a million new rules we just need to few we have to be inforced

TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

Ribwart

« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2006, 11:12:58 AM »

With regards to the salmon stamp, and the prices of licences...my girlfriend has recently become very interested in the sport and I have been showing her the ropes. To her the licences were way too expensive...and her first reaction was "do I really need one?"...I of course explained to her many of the reasons she needed one, including that she would not be going fishing anywhere with me without one....so she purchased her licence at berry's and called me on her cell to check with me about the stamp. She informed me that the guy there had told her she didn't need one unless she was going to keep a fish...so I had her put the guy on the phone and he reiterated it to me that this was true, "check it online if you like...". I did, it's true. I then told my girlfriend to buy the stamp anyways to support salmon conservation and that we could talk about why we needed to buy the stamp later....

Now she has picked up this river thing like a pro...she's fishing a little centerpin I set up for her, short floating, reading water, staying away from the redds, the chum and the springs as best she can AND picking up on all the ethics and finer aspects of the sport as it should be...in fact I would be proud to fish with anyone that has the respect, determination and skill that she has, anytime. But without my guidance she would surely not have bought a stamp, probably not a licence, and likely would have learned by watching others bottom bounce and never would have known better. Yet she is the kind of person who now, trully loves the sport and I assure you would be willing to spend that 200 bucks on the licence,...but wouldn't have when she started, so I don't think the hugely expensive licence thing is a solution that sits well with me anyways....if licences were that way, we would have lost a really good rod, and my girl never would have realized just how much she loves the sport. It's all she wants to do now, well mostly.....

So, another suggestion I will add to the list of great suggestions we have here is

- make salmon stamp purchase mandatory, retention or no retention (but no exhorbitant licences fees)

- AND for those problem areas such as KWB and below lickman road, these might be good candidate areas to put together some habitat    restoration measures...Ie: permanently place several or many logs in these trouble spots to discourage the snag fest that is down there. Such measures will also provide refuge for salmon fry, not to mention returning adults....giving them a break, they need it.

thx,
rib
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 11:42:29 AM by Ribwart »

phatwop

« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2006, 11:36:47 AM »

This sounds like a great idea.
No one likes fines and sometimes hitting people in the pocketbook is the only way to make them think.
It somewhat works with speeders....

Then it all comes down to enforcement !! you have to realize that there are a high number of people fishing the rivers right now that have a blatant disregard for the rules and if you talk to them they just don't give a Sh!$.... in order for anything to change the rules we already have need to be reinforced.. if they aren't what is the point of creating new rules????? I truly believe that all it would take is a few strong examples made !!! if someone keeps a snagged fish tke away all there gear and fine them $1000 ... if they are using a barbed or treble hook do the same... if someone is a repeat offender take away their car, fine them $5000 if the punishment was scary not that many people would be willing to break the rules any more !!!! It seems almost too simple yet nobody takes action.... we don't need a million new rules we just need to few we have to be inforced

TR

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2006, 11:38:09 AM »

over hanging shrubs like blackberry bushes along the canal and some strategically placed ivies might act as a deterant  ::)

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2006, 11:44:00 AM »

It seems as though the gas prices have not slowed down anglers at all... makes me think the money thing is not the issue. Or maye a good portion of the Vedder anglers are richer than we are led to believe, or they live locally.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2006, 11:57:58 AM »

Fining people could work !! it could be somehow hooked together with ICBC, if you don't pay the fine you can't reinsure you're car or renew you're licence.. I honestly believe that thgis would work if it was enforced.. and the fines taken in would more than pay for the extra enforcement

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2006, 12:01:40 PM »

Fining people could work !! it could be somehow hooked together with ICBC, if you don't pay the fine you can't reinsure you're car or renew you're licence.. I honestly believe that thgis would work if it was enforced.. and the fines taken in would more than pay for the extra enforcement

fining for offences are fine, but the generating of funds isn't the problem, as much as how they allocate them.