Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nitnat Lake Sept 9  (Read 4731 times)

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
Nitnat Lake Sept 9
« on: October 05, 2006, 10:34:11 AM »

First time I have ever fished this lake went out there with a buddie who has fished out there many times . Arrived late friday evening in a major rain storm . The rain was much needed and still is every where . We woke up before the sun had risen in a foggy atmosphere with the rain pellting down on our truck and camper we poped the boat into the lake and started out to the head of the lake with several other boats all racing to the same destination the area they call the gap . It appeared all the others were power mooching one little area just before the gap so idecided to troll with bait away from the crowded area which was 't that bad 17 boats in total .As we trolled away from this crowd I watched them all working hard in the one little strech of lake my buddie informed me that that was the hot spot where he Jigged for big Chinnook the last few seasons . He wanted to jig but I am a firm beliver in trolling with bait which I had brinned the night before 5 min goes by and bamm a violent hit on Troy's rod fish on a good scapper to we net it fairly Chrome to. This was looking to be a great morning as we were only out there a few minutes after that one when my rod is attacked this one popped the clip and was peeling line before i could even get up 35 min battle we ended up chasing this tyee all around the lake  ;D my biggest Chinook trolling to .date Cleaned it was 45 lbs this place is incredible we kept on trolling and as we did all the power mooching guy's were getting nothing they were obviosly watching our performance as they started to troll as well . We were only out there 5 hours and we got our limit and then played catch and release for the remainder of the day we hooked and released 25 Chinook. The water was like glass this place is truly paradise.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 06:00:07 PM by legend »

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Nitnat River Sept 9
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 10:53:07 AM »

Awsome report!, So I guess those chinook are land locked salmon? Your title says river but the report says lake ??? ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 10:53:59 AM »

did you guys actually fish the Nitinat river or Cowichan Lake?

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 10:58:36 AM »

Looks like you had a blast!  Thanks for sharing.

legend

Re: Nitnat Lake Sept 9
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 10:59:33 AM »

Yeah sorry meant lake not river but i have a river report to follow as well .

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 11:12:25 AM »

The lake is tidal and is connected to the sea at Clo-ose.  The first nations group has a community at the mouth and takes west coast trail hikers across the mouth where the Nitinat meets the sea.  Apparently a very dangerous area to be in a boat at times.  The fish come up and move up the lake to the Nitinat River to do their business.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 11:14:57 AM »

So you are trolling these chinook in a lake...thats awesome!!!  And to think they take cut plugs in fresh water...hmmm I remember a prominent member here just the other day saying how salmon don't feed once they hit fresh water  ;) Very cool trip.  What is the limit there anyhow?

GHC...you say the lake is tidal...I assume (just like the fraser) that while the lake may be classified as "tidal" it is fresh water???   
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 11:16:48 AM by Gooey »

legend

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 11:27:32 AM »

Actually it's the ocean not the sea ;D . And yes the area they call the gap takes down boats every year you can go through at a really high tide but you have to stick to one side and be extremely careful my buddies have done it but it's not reccommended. People fish on the outside of the gap to target the fish which stack up waiting for big tides to push them up the lake . I have fished the ocean side once we travelled from Port Renfrew via boat 1hour ride in 20 foot swells up the beautiful west coast we limited out in less than an hour. The Nitnat Springs are huge we seen some 60 lb plus Chinook taken there . The lake is Salt water 2 per day the tides do affect the fishing just like in the ocean on the flood tide the bite was non stop action .

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 11:55:29 AM »

Is the Nitinat river fishable from the shore? Are there places or is it boat only?

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 01:23:57 PM »

There are places, but if you are looking for Chinooks, it is done.  They come into the river at the beginning of September and colour up fairly quickly.  Nice coho follow and then a fairly large chum run follows.  Nitinat Valley is famous for its bears and there are lots of them.  You are pretty much guaranteed to see them.

legend

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 03:22:53 PM »

I disagree with you GHC The Chinnok are in the river thick right now but the entire system is closed to angling from Oct 1 Till the 14 to let them spawn . I was up there Sept22 fishing the river and it was on fire Chinook jumping every where the bears were out in full force which made me nervous I caught over 50 Chinook in one day some real monsters some were Chrome some boots most were in between lots over 40lbs this place is unreal simply the best river I have ever fished . Chinooks galore . My wife was with me she took some pics from the car as she was afraid of the bears no pics of the fish as the good spots i had to hike into away from the car she would't come down to river chicken ;D

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 04:06:48 PM »

-River is done for chinooks legend. They have been on their beds the last 2 weeks. For sure there is still lots there but they are all spawning and dark best to let them be. One out of 200 is still silverish thats it.

-GoldHC the chum run is not fairly large.....ITS FREAKIN HUGE. 1.2million chum returned last year! more like 500,000 this year. Coho are not looking great though which is a downer.

-The springs i wouldnt say are huge... They probaly used to be but now most are hatchery clones called cookie cutters. Around 20-24 pounds. Out of 2000 fish we didnt have any over 40-45 lbs. 60lbs are very very rare now dont think the hatch has any over 50 this year. I worked at another river(closed to fishing) with the nitnat hatch and saw a coho pushing 25 lbs easy. Unreal fish!

-as said bears everywhere. Saw 12 in a day when workin at the hatch last week and i wasnt traveling much.

-Sounds like you had a sweet day in the lake. Is the 50+ that one in the pic? What were you hittin the fish on in the river?

-a few pics from last week

Not huge but chunky chinook.This is the condition 95% of the fish are in. The bellys and fins beat up colored.

Nice pair of hos about 16 ish lbs.

Of course the bears. Some pics i have 4 bears in, I saw 6 in 30 min walk. I wouldnt be nervous as they are not very aggresive but always be aware as they are bears and unpredictable.

BTW awsome elk pic.They are ushually very spooked
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 04:34:19 PM by kellya »

Sandhead

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 05:06:07 PM »

Cool pictures, seems like you had a excellent trip.
Ain't no HO like a COHO

legend

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 05:08:09 PM »

The fish in the river were taken on Colorado blades , Pink wool  and various spoons . The second pic was the one that was 45 lbs with the guts out . There are many fish in the Nitnat over 50lbs I disagree with you my buddies have been fishing there for years they have pics of some real monsters taken in the lake . Some last year over 60 lbs taken while jiging buzz bombs .

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 05:28:17 PM »

By done, I meant in terms of edibility measures.  There will still be lots of fish coming in, but like I said, they darken up pretty quickly and its best to leave them to do their stuff and make more monsters  ;D  Thats the reason why we go there anyway  8).

I've always heard that the chum run was big Kellya - the stink in the valley after those guys start dying off must just be heaven to the masses of bears. 

I'd love to try that lake action like you had.  I have been in the river right when the fish have come in and I too have seen those ridiculous days.  Nothing like seeing a 40+ lbs fish inhale a small blue fox reeled just under the surface.  Now that's a story....

Nice elk pics too legend.