Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trio of Rivers  (Read 3976 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Trio of Rivers
« on: October 07, 2006, 01:30:08 PM »

So today I went to the Vedder firstlight. Got to our spot, with nobody around. After about an hour of fishing I finally get a hookup. Played it for a bit and he spit the hook. We took a little coffee break and started again. Well all of a sudden it was just dead. We would always see fish around early but all of a sudden their was no fish. So we waited a while to see if any would come in. Nope, time to move. I decided I wanted to hit the prison run. We arrived to find about 8 cars parked on the side of the road  :o .Well I have a favorite spot in behind the back and as I expected all of people were fishing off the rocks. So we went for the walk and when we got there to my surprise allot of people were fishing there as well. It was a MEGA GONG SHOW everywhere on the Vedder. I was fed up and decided to leave. Not only for that reason alone. Even in the upper river people were ripping and float to hook was 9 feet when the water was only 3 feet deep. So off to another river closer to home... THE STAVE!!!

So I arrived to one of my favorite spots on the West side. Only to see about 15 cars along the side of the road. Oh boy not again. Yup again just like the Vedder. People snagging chums left, right and center. Most people didn't even use a float just a weight, some wool ( for who knows what reason, and a hook. Cast rip, cast rip, cast rip DIRTY CHUM!!! The Stave was busy everywhere. OK one more river....

So I arrive and see my river is full of dirty chum. I make a few casts and fish on. It was a chum, not in bad shape for this river ( no retention of chum though ) so off he goes. No coho to be found. I would have fished this river longer if I had my fly gear or spinning rod as the best water is down low.

So all I have to say is I NEED TO GET MY BOAT OUT!!!! I just bought a boat and since I have never owned a boat before I don't feel comfortable taking it on the river yet. Its a 16 foot Princecraft with a 100HP Merc and with all that power I have to get used to it on a lake first. I am tired of fighting crowds. Or the very least we need the weather and temperature to change so the fairweather fishermen stay home......

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: Trio of Rivers
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 01:43:04 PM »

i guess a couple of people are gonna get a smack in the face from me, when i go to the vedder, gonna try for a spring, need fish and need roe!
Fish killer 101

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 01:49:15 PM »

Hey,i am telling you ,the situation is only get worst,if you cant stand it,stay out.  Do you know how many guest has keep an eye on this report session???That why they are all packed at your spot :D :D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 01:55:26 PM »

At this time of year, most of the rivers will be packed. No way I'm heading out to the Vedder on the weekends. Perhaps during the weekdays when there is less pressure.

Pat AV

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 01:56:39 PM »

Sorry to hear about the crowds bb2000 I have a feeling the future of the fisheries close to vancouver may be far from bright.

Those of us who have been fishing for a few years will probably take it the hardest, since we remeber the good times and actually have grown to love all the places that are now being beat up.

You have some good fish carma coming from all your hard work at the clean ups, don't worry your season will turn around!

Thanks for the report!

Edit: here's hopin that the extreme water levels are making things seem worse than they are!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 01:58:52 PM by Pat AV »
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 02:08:38 PM »

Sorry to hear about the crowds bb2000 I have a feeling the future of the fisheries close to vancouver may be far from bright.

Those of us who have been fishing for a few years will probably take it the hardest, since we remeber the good times and actually have grown to love all the places that are now being beat up.

You have some good fish carma coming from all your hard work at the clean ups, don't worry your season will turn around!

Thanks for the report!

Edit: here's hopin that the extreme water levels are making things seem worse than they are!

Thats it I guess we who are older and remember the good old days were just spoiled. I am so glad I bought a boat. Next year I will be all over the river with nobody bothering me. I will be taking the winter to prepare everything just right.

Big T, it wouldnt be so bad if the fishermen were fishing properly instead of flossing and snagging fish. I have approached numerous people and out of every 50 people I approach maye 10% actually change it up. I will continue fighting the good fight since 10% is better than 0%.

Soon the winer cold will hit, the rain will come and some of my favorite coho holes which nobody visits will be mine for the taking.

Now only 5 more days untill I go the Browns Bay Chum Derby  ;D

Belong to the "4 F Club"

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 03:41:55 PM »

Well at least you got some fresh air. I was thinking of lake fishing with the water level as it is, and the nice wheather with a light breeze. If you had your boat you could try some spots along the Fraser to get away from the jackazz rippers that seem to think it's the only way to fish. Seen them doing that to chum in the Vedder last week. True enough be carefull what you post, as it will bring the guest hordes down on your favorite spot like dung flies on cow pies.

It is a good time to boat on certain parts of the Fraser just don't use all 100 horses in the shallow areas. I've seen some horrible stuff where people think the river is deep all over, I still cringe over one group that hit a sunken sandbar under full steam. I thought they would lose the back end of the boat and drown in the river. A lake is the way to go until your comfortable out on the river and remember you have an anchor if you run into trouble, so you don't drift into it.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 04:19:32 PM »

had a few guys wanting tips on how to set up there gear once, I directed them in the right directions as to setting up there gear they were into fish and were very thank full for my help, cant wait to go tomorrow again

Way to go FishFreak

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 04:20:15 PM »

Hey, how bout we hit the Harrison or Frazer and do some cuttie hunting??? they should be out looking for eggs right??

BIG T

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 04:26:35 PM »

Hey fishfreak,thanks for the report,so why you released all 3 big coho??? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I will be heading out to your secret hole tomorrow,watch out ;) :D :D :D

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 04:29:54 PM »

Thanks for the report guys!, I cant stand rippers. Usually ill just leave if theres one by me. , Went to a local flow today, and realesed many chums. However tomorrow Ill be at the vedder fishing the secret hole ;D Hopefully ill see some of you guys there!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 04:31:37 PM by THE_ROE_KID »
weeeeeeeeeow!

BIG T

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 04:46:20 PM »

Big T i was at your spot today and i didnt like it, cal me later tonight though im aboutto have turkey dinner
[/quote
You can call me later,have a good turkey dinner and rest up your arm for tomorrow :D :D :D.I am still waiting for my turkey :D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 04:49:46 PM »

Turkey day is tomorrow for us and on Monday my son and I will be barfishing the tidal fraser...No more combat fishing just sit back, relax and wait for the rod to dance....

Belong to the "4 F Club"

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 04:55:14 PM »

BB i feel your frustration. Today i was fishing and witnessed some teenagers my age drinkin beer throwing their lines out and hand fishing! Trying to snag with double triple hooks ect! Well my dad was with me so i didnt lip off. My dad and i wanted to piss them off and make them leave so we stood right across from them and watched and when people came by we loudly told them those were poachers and illegaly fishing this fly only stream. They got the drift and left after swearing their heads off and us ect and throwing stuff. 3 of them fell in when they left and i almost sH*# my pants laughing!!!!!!! Sad to see where the rivers are going something needs to change to much illegal fishing >:(

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 07:02:58 PM »

Alcohol and water don't mix.