Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snagging  (Read 4606 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Snagging
« on: October 12, 2006, 11:14:37 PM »

This problem is alot more widespread than you think.

http://www.katu.com/news/team2/4388961.html?video=YHI&t=a

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Snagging
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 11:32:21 PM »

Yes the USA is usually a few years ahead of us. :(

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 11:41:05 PM »

I think the only way this is going to end (or at least minimize it) is to have an all out blitz on these snaggers and fine them heavily. I would love to see some undercover CO's at a place like the Keith Wilson bridge to identify all the snaggers and then swoop down on the guilty parties and issue citations plus confiscating their gear. Include the press so they can be on the news. Once the word gets out, you'll be pleasantly surprised how the snaggers suddenly evaporate into thin air.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 11:47:54 PM »

I like the T-Shirt idea. Looks like a good way of raising funds for an informational brochure on fishing. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

mrking

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 07:19:31 AM »

I like the T-Shirt idea. Looks like a good way of raising funds for an informational brochure on fishing. :)

I agree.

Pat AV

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 07:22:02 AM »

It looks like this snagging debate will be this falls version of the flossing debate. Lets remember that there have always been alot of snaggers on the Vedder and all stop acting so surprised and like this is a new occurance.

There are only 3 things we can do at this point

1) Lead by example and not snag ourselves, while educating those on the river in a friendly manner
2) Report Violators
3) Lobby the Federal Government for more fisheries funding to increase enforcement

The 4th thing we can do is pray for rain but I know we are all already doing that!
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 07:29:11 AM »

u acidentaly snag fish on the vedder some times but not like this, this is a tradgety
Fish killer 101

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 07:36:23 AM »

While your ideas are great PAt, really what we need is better education and laws.  Enforcement can only go as far as to enforce the regulations and thats where the largest problem lies right now. 

Flossing is not seen as snagging by the average joe, hence all these people that learn to floss on the fraser are more than happy to apply that technique on the vedder.  Flossing is snagging no 2 ways about it but with DFO's acceptance of the fraser floss fishery, they set up an environment of acceptance within the fishing community too. 

Yes, we as individuals can help to educate a handleful of anglers here and there but when ultimately unless people are regulated, then we will never stay ahead of infectious fishing method known as flossing.

Pat AV

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 08:54:03 AM »

You make some good points gooey an I  would add that many of the people who are the most shocked and outraged at the Vedder snagging (which has been going on since ~1990 when I started fishing the river) are very vocal about their participation in the Fraser sockeye fishery.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 09:30:01 AM »

...I would add that many of the people who are the most shocked and outraged at the Vedder snagging (which has been going on since ~1990 when I started fishing the river) are very vocal about their participation in the Fraser sockeye fishery.

An interesting fact that may or may not come into play in efforts to deal with this issue. Thanks for commenting on it.

Gooey, good post.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Pat AV

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 10:24:21 AM »

Quote 2:40

"An interesting fact that may or may not come into play in efforts to deal with this issue. Thanks for commenting on it."

You are welcome. I am not expecting this fact to come in to play to help resolve the issue. I often give advice and suggestions on how things can be improved (of course they are all just my opinions). The quote mentioned was not an attempt to help resolve the issue just a simple observation.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 11:29:31 AM »

I still believe that enforcing the existing laws would get rid of a lot of the undesireables on the rivers now !! yes people need educating but from my experience most of the snaggers on the Vedder know exactly what they are doing and really don't care.. they need to be taught to care !! and as for Pat's comments he is probably right and the first thing that needs to happen is to stop the flossing on the Fraser, lets make flossing illegal everywhere !!!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 11:52:38 AM »

if someone make the t shirt with that " NO SNAGGING " tag

I would buy it directly
hardware == fish

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 04:54:24 PM »

fishfreak, you get the duck tape while big steel and I pin Rick down....seriously dude...ban flossing socks!?!  Thats a little extreme.  I personally would hope that we could be responsible enuff to employ fishing techniques APPROPRIATE tot he river and run we are fishing.

My speeding anology works well here.  RCMP have a mandate to enforce speed limits rigorously in high crash zones.  So you see speed traps on the Patulo Bridge, Oak Street, etc, and relatively light enforcement o the number one.  Case in point, the fraser has the space and the resources to support a lot of floss fishers, but the vedder or chahalis is another story.

Bottom line though, if we cant find a "happy balance" then I am with rick.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 05:25:00 PM »

I just dont understand why DFO cant send down a guy on a weekend like this to the KWB and start handing out some serious fines.  Its illegal to attempt to foul hook a  fish so that should be enough to issue about 40 tickets...nevermind the obviously foul hooked ones that some people keep...Why cant they, or wont they, do this???  I dont get it...they cant spare ONE officer???