Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Journal For Sunday, Again  (Read 4553 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
The Journal For Sunday, Again
« on: October 30, 2006, 11:36:16 PM »

As always a warm welcome to all to another edition of The Journal on FWR your top fishing web site for fishing information and tall tails.

This is actually a second edition of the same Journal as after completing most of it last night it disappeared into cyberspace when trying to post. I apoligize as I do not think I will complete it tonight as my bedtime deadline is fast approaching. I had considered not redoing it but it was an interesting day I thought, so here it goes again.

Well off to a good start as posted it instead of spell check. ??? Told you I would not get far. Continuing now.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 11:40:30 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: The Journal For Sunday, Again
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 01:05:01 AM »

After gaining an hour of sleep going back to Standard time or did I as I had to get up a hour early to greet daylight on a local corn field for a duck hunt. Of course first a stop at Tims for a large single single. With the increase in coffee by 10 cents recently this pensioner has to scale back from a extra large double double, most of the time anyway. ;D

As I speed to the field in anticipation of a good duck shoot the coffee shakes the cobwebs quickly from this nimrods head. I was sure a good shoot was ahead as I saw many coming into the field the night before, while out doing some scouting, but I was not packing iron which was maybe a mistake as a number of ducks, good looking mallards circled cockily over my head. It seemed they knew the scattergun was left at home. ;D

Daylight is now breaking over the Cascades as I arrive at the field, a nice cool wind is blowing in from the West, rustling the grasses along the edge of the now harvested cattle corn field as I quickly grab the decoys from the back of the Leaf Mobile. A perfect morning for a hunt. I stride quickly the 200 yards to the ditch line that I will use for cover. As I walk I scan the morning sky for the first incoming flight of the birds from their night roosting spot but none have appeared as I spread out a dozen duck decoys and 4 geese .

I then hop into the natural blind of grass and cattails and wait and wait some more for the first morning flight to appear but they never do. I know later in the season when they have been gunned a number of times they start to feed at night and this looks the case now, nearly a month into the season smart birds they are.

I was the dumb one it seems as I should have been, like most of the population enjoying some more sleep in a comfortable bed. At least I would be close to some ducks, duck down pillows that is.

I know there would be no flights this day so I gather up the disappointed decoys who had no opportunity to do their chosen profession this day but there will be other days ahead.

As I have brought the fishing pole along I decide to head to the river and try once again for the illusive coho again. ??? But first while driving by McDonald's I see a number of the regulars sitting including buck at the long table where fishing issues are discussed in depth each morning, 365 days of the year, well maybe not on Christmas morning.

I slip through the door and get a few glances from some other patrons but you can not blame them as I still have my hunting gear on, sans the gun of course. ;D

I pull up a chair and the conversation quickly turns to the state of our affairs on the Chilliwack Vedder. All of them are as concerned as I am and I tell them what I know about the upcoming meeting that are going to try and come to grips with this serious issue that in my mind seriously threatens our precious recreational angling and the well being of our fish stocks.

Many other issues are addressed as well all interesting stuff from these most knowledable anglers. As well the current lack of coho again this year is discussed and I am told by the former Chilliwack River Hatchery manager not that long ago there was 110,000 or so coho returning to the hatchery. This season it is sitting around 2,500, what has happened, is it ocean survival, lack of the food coho live on in their two years or so at sea. Saying that why are the chum and chinooks on the Chilliwack doing so well? I certainly do not know.

With the chit chat over for another day at the long table, time to head to the river, only 90 minutes to church time.

As I head to the Twin Cedars I see Pete outside Fred's Custom Tackle, I stop in to conduct some FVSS business. While there I meet up with a Redl Sports sales rep.who it turns out was also from the Island. I tell him I was from Duncan so talk turns to Bucky's Sports Shop, an instution in the Cowichan Valley and still there. Bucky who has passed away was a good friend of my dad both are now most likely reminiscing in the big pond above about the big ones that they caught at the Bay and the bigger ones that got away.

We talk about the good old days of Cowichan Bay, a bay full of chinook in  my growing up years. The Bay was a place we mooched for chinook during the daylight hours and smooched the girls at night. ;D

Talking about night, time to call it a day and complete The Journal in the am, anyway most readers have gone to bed except maybe Ross in the UK who most likely is just getting up and or having his second cup of tea. ;D

Part two early tomorrow morning, hope this posts as I do not want to write it 3 times. ::)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 01:10:18 AM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 05:42:02 AM »

I finally get back on the road and do make the Twin Cedars this time. Another chap is there sweeping in the rapids, I try fishing in the slick that has been created behind a number of large boulders but the river is not high enough to make the fishable run of water long enough to get a long enough a drift, so once again, on the road again.  ;D

As I start to turn around a little further up the road I see 3 people, two adults and a child trying to snag chum spawning in a small side stream. The water is so shallow their backs are sticking out of the water. One of the individuals as I slip out of the Leaf Mobile has a poor old buck hooked in its back. It trys valiantly to retain it balance in the shallows, other fish that have been trying to complete their life cycle in peace scatter in all directions, frighten by the nearly spawned out buck whose body is covered with fungus, its tail tattered by the constant battles of war in keeping competing males away from his chosen bride of only a few weeks or days. At this stage in their now short life span they should be left to complete it in peace, after all they are right on the spawning beds.

Another chum, a doe laying on a blood stained rock has been cleaned, its single eggs dripping down the side of the same stone. I think this is not right and I am upset as this is the type of activity that is way to prevalent on our precious rivers this days although taking the fish like this does not happen that much but I do seeit once and a while.

Maybe I should have explained to them more politely than I did what they were doing was not what one should be doing but darn I was mad. Maybe they did not know any better and if I had explained it would be better to be fishing?? elsewhere they would have received my suggestion more kindly. However I said in a unfriendly voice "you better stop this activity or I will call the FOC". They look at me in disdain but do finally pack up and leave, leaving the chum behind, I circle like a bird of prey in the area to make sure they do actually leave. Before they speed off they come back and retrieve the doe chum from the rock.

I feel sorry for the child to be learning to fish this way, he does not know any better I am sure. I feel sorry for the fish as well. The only saving grace to me at the moment is the 2 planned committees that have been struck to try and deal with this issue in the hope things can be changed.

As they leave another person takes the place of the three and starts doing the same thing. :'( I decide to snap a picture or two. While I am doing this the chap hooks into a chum too, in the side or back but breaks off float and all. He leaves to retie as do I too, time to go to church and pray for my behavior or maybe I should be praying for our fish or the people I had just seen instead.

After church then off to Gwyn for lunch before we head to the Chehalis and see what is happening there.

Part three of The Journal in a hour or so, after a large single single. ;D ;D and then more of a fishing report, finally.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 05:02:50 PM by chris gadsden »

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 09:03:54 AM »

Very good read Chris I to used to spend time in Cowichan Bay While in High School we lived in one of the old houses right on the water the third one in from where the boat ramp is today . I also have many fond memories of mooching Samson narrows  as the Bay itself has been closed to angling for years and there was also allot of smooching of girls going on during those days .

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 10:14:12 AM »

once again chris an awsome read!, Cant wait for part 3 :)
weeeeeeeeeow!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 11:42:43 AM »

I just finished reading chapter 3.... long night :). Very interesting, 2500 coho compared to 110,000 thats not that big of difference. ??? Where again is the twin ceaders, which road takes you there, I have a rough idea.
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 12:09:16 PM »

I just finished reading chapter 3.... long night :). Very interesting, 2500 coho compared to 110,000 thats not that big of difference. ??? Where again is the twin ceaders, which road takes you there, I have a rough idea.
Chilliwack Lake Road, across from Edwards Road need higher water for it to be good, Friday maybe after the heavy rains once on the way. ;D

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 12:27:16 PM »

Chris, my wife was reading your journal over my shoulder...She asked me "Who is this guy?" so I explained how while locked up in San Quentin for the multiple homicides, you took a writing course and here you are!!!   Of course she never believes anything I tell her and simply stated. "He seems like a pretty nice guy."
Oh kinder words from She who wishes she was obeyed, have never been spoken...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 01:11:14 PM »

Now for the final chapter of The Journal. Late getting to it as the Leaf Mobile was acting up, fuel filter and thermostat problems. She is good to go now and will climb any mountain, she is itching to tackle Jackass Mountain again in search of a Thompson River steelhead but thats another journal down the road. Thanks to her mechanic Chad for dropping everything to cure her ills. Chad and Ernie got to be the best mechanics you can ever find and they are fishermen also. ;D ;D

With the turkey dinner complete, out of the church clothes and into the fishing dudes although I have often thought of fishing with a tie on as some English gentlemen did or still do in an outfit of tweed, fishing some English stream. Does Ross fish that way Rod?  ;D Doing that I would get more strange glances than I do with my Leaf bonnet on, I guess. ;D

As we prepare to leave we are treated to the first snow flakes of the season as well a heavy wind blows in with her fury too, but that does not prevent us for heading Chehalis way.
In no time we are unloading at the Chehalis Bridge, Gwyn heads upstream I head down and settle into a sweet spot. ;D The water is down from Friday but still prime, the weather is now prime as well, the sun is shinning brightly on the golden maple leaves. ;D I snap a photo or two of Nature's Fall brilliance. I see chum passing just in front of me heading maybe to the Canyon to stage for a bit. The Master tells me coho do this a lot and then drop back later, to spawn or head into the hatchery when they are nearly ripe.

I hope some coho are in this passing lane as well. It is not long until I am into some of the more abundant chum, all bucks. Just then it is The Master on the cell wanting a update. I tell him things are prime but only chum so far. He says even though he will have only 90 minutes of fishing time he is on his way. One can do that when you are only 30 minutes away. ;D On the first cast after I had hung up the cell phone the Maple Leaf Stealth disappears and for a minute it feels a bit like a coho but it frees itself from the hook, I will never know if it could have been my first coho of the season.

In no time The Master arrives, Gwyn is now with him.

Gwyn decides to head to the Easter Seal to see what is happening there, Nick slips in beside me. Nothing is better than fishing and talking with The Master, one can always learn from him. ;D

We miss the odd fish and I land another chum. Nick moves down below me a little. It was on a long drift, right in front of him that the Stealth is down, hook is set, a fish flashes, "It a coho" says the Master. He has  just uttered these magic words and the line goes slack. :'( Gone. "A nice one, small but silver, about 4 to 5 pounds" The Master tells me. Close but no cigar I think.

Nick then moves up beside me again, into the now hot spot. ;D Suddenly his float is down too but what ever it was comes free of the hook with the terminal gear flying back towards us. "Look out" I hear as I duck but The Master's  hook, line, sinker and float find my rod and wrap us up good, protecting me from a piece of lead finding the mark, my face. ???

Just a little later just as dark begins to close in around us I am into another chum as it fights to free itself from the irritation of the hook my precious Maple Leaf Stealth comes free, as the surgical tubing comes off the Stealth's stems leaving the float to float away. Unhappily it did not get to land its first coho but it had come close on its final day of life but I am sure someone will rescue it. Was nice to know you I think as it bobs away in the now coming darkness.

Shortly after Gwyn appears, "nothing below" he says. That statement is enough to make us pack up and head down the gravel road once again. It was certainly a pleasure to fish next to Nick again, I hope there will be many more opportunities to do so. Out of all the events of the day fishing with Gwyn and The Master may have been the most rewarding, one event certainly was not.

As we part I decide to return the next day once again to the Chehalis, the river of the hound dogs it seems, however there must be a coho lurking there somewhere, with my name on it.

That it another adventure, another journal on one of our beautiful riversin British Columbia that we must always remember to work at, to serve and protect it along with the fish that live there, not everyone does or will sad as it is.

Monday's journal later, thanks for reading this Journal.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 01:27:54 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 01:12:27 PM »

Chris  i need to get out for some quacks myself,  i was waiting for the fields to fill with water BUT??? that may not happen, so im thinking creeks instead,  i should hook up with you and Nick and you guys can guide me out the wack way
Lets do it when the Northerns come down, a trip on the Fraser would be good. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 01:14:56 PM »

Chris, my wife was reading your journal over my shoulder...She asked me "Who is this guy?" so I explained how while locked up in San Quentin for the multiple homicides, you took a writing course and here you are!!!   Of course she never believes anything I tell her and simply stated. "He seems like a pretty nice guy."
Oh kinder words from She who wishes she was obeyed, have never been spoken...
She sound pretty good also but tell her that I have never taken a writing course but that San Quentin thing.............. but I donot think they take Canadians in do they. ;D ;D ;D

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 01:18:05 PM »

Great read as usual Chris. I am planning to hit the chehalis tomorrow in the am before work. Was planning to hit it this morning but the wife got called into work so tomorrow it is.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 01:20:49 PM »

Great read Chris. I'm having difficulty this Coho season too. Its been horrible to any other season in the past for almost every system I fish on. I hit the Harrison with a buddy on Sunday. We tried Coho at a couple spots till mid morning then it was the hunt for a couple mallards. My first time out ever hunting. ;D Acquired my FAC and CORE just last Tuesday. We peered over 1 embankment from where we anchored the sled. They spot us, take flight and bang bang bang, My buddy blows off 2 rounds and I blow off my first ever shot. I was using a Remington 870 Mag 3". The birds were about 60 yards away. I can't believe it first ever shot down goes a bird and Paul takes one down too. Quickly go to retrieve them as none of the ducks decide to give us another chance until we go hiking in the marsh for them. Ended up taking down a couple others throughout the day too. Now I think I have found somthing just as enjoyable as fishing and will be especially good if the fishing is slow. ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 01:31:48 PM »

Glad you have discovered duck hunting and good shooting too. One thing, if hunting the Harrison area the mallards are dinning on dead chum now so can become very fishy at times. Nothing worse than fish and duck at the same time. ;D If you have one cooking in the oven you will know as the house will empty in a hurry. ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 01:37:19 PM »

Another gun head. ::) I can bring the video camera out and do a comedy on the two of you and steelhead king. ;)

I don't want to kill quacks, but I would be happy to accept any donated ones. ;D