Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making your own Colorados  (Read 7032 times)

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
Making your own Colorados
« on: November 15, 2006, 11:56:42 AM »

Grabbed a bag of 100 Colorado #3. smooth nickel finish blades. Looks like I need two snap rings, two barrel swivels and a hook for each one. Does anyone make their own? Any tips, hints? Thanks !

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: Making your own Colorados
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 01:05:14 PM »

Hook spacing is critical!  If you use a shorter shanked hook (like an octopus hook) then the blade can cover the hook point.  To avoid this, I use a snap swivel.  To be exact, I have a barrel swivel on top, to that I attach a split ring.  On that split ring I add a blade and a snap swivel.  Adding (or switching) the hook then is just a simple process.

I often spin cast my blades and will use a slow retrieve under the float too...for these methods, I prefer french blades (like on a blue fox).  Due to the extra length of  a french blade, the extra separation of a snap swivel is very  important.

Conversely, if you don't want to use a swivel, then the longer shanks on siwash hooks are good.

I have not found a difference in hook ups between an octopus hook and a siwash so I go with what I have plenty of (gami octopus hooks).

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 01:21:32 PM »

Hey Gooey, somehow I knew you'd be the first one to reply :)  I'm going to head down to Army & Navy on my lunch shortly to get some split rings, Gami's and some snap / barrel swivels. #2 on the snap rings ? # 3 on the snap / barrel swivels and 1/0 or 2 Gami's? Whattya think ?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 01:32:37 PM »

I prefer size #10 swivels and #4 split rings. I like to add another split ring at the bottom swivel to ensure that the hook hang back from the blade.

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 01:51:01 PM »

Guys, thanks for the info. Looks like I may be spending my evenings building blades in front of the TV instead of watching the 'Nucks. Does anyone make their own jigs? That's something I'm interested in as well. Thanks.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 01:54:08 PM »

I tie my own jigs using marabous and rabbit fur. Works like a charm. Nice way of spending an evening instead of watching the crap on TV

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 02:04:42 PM »

Thanks FA. Do you pour your own lead as well or do you buy pre-made jigs in the weight / hook size you prefer? Can I get what I need from A &N or am I better off trying somewhere else?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 02:17:46 PM »

I buy my jig heads from Bob's Sporting and Berry's. You should be able to buy some jig heads from A& N but not the marabou or rabbit fur. You need to get those at your local flyfishing shop.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 02:19:41 PM »

Jig selection (blanks) are pretty poor in most cases around here...wrong sizes, wrong colors, cheap hooks...etc.

I pour my own jigs around gami jig hooks, powder coat them, and tie them up with all sorts of material...I don't think A&N will have much more than the blank jig heads.

Once you have found some heads you like, head to the fly shop for dressings.  I got a good deal on a bunch of rabbit and some feathers from that shop thats closing down...they still had some material left too, may be worth a visit.

In terms of jigs, I like 1/4 and 3/8, those are my most common sized jigs.  I pour them on hooks ranging from 2 - 2/0.  Good luck, jig tying is fun and with all the different materials and colors, endless possibilities exists!

Oh, I read that a good rule for marabou jigs is 3 plumes minimum with one contrasting color..

fishfinder

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 03:43:11 PM »

If you use split rings for your colorados, buy a split ring plier (a cheap one).  Makes things a lot easier.

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 04:11:03 PM »

Thanks for all the info thus far, appreciate it big time. So, last question of the day re: gear. I've been invited to go to Spences Bridge for Steelhead this weekend. Can I bring my drift gear or do I need a centre pin reel / rod combo? This is my first time out so any lure suggestions and what have you would be awesome.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 04:33:28 PM »

I personally would go with a drift rod. It's a big river and you want to cover alot of water in the least amount of time.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 07:58:26 PM »

Most of my steelhead on the thompson have been on 65 kitimat and coho spoons...much easier with a caster vs cp

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 08:24:37 PM »

I use larger swivels for the body to get some extra weight on some of the colorado's I make. Also lets you use shorter shafted hooks if you don't have some Siwash's around

DennisK: that lure looks ridiculous. I believe that it was made from back alley pickens. If that's your bag then visit this site:
http://www.bottlecaplure.com/
My friend made up a bunch after seeing some show on them (he's from Saskatchewan). I told him they wouldn't work, but hey each to his own. You want to chuck bottle caps at fish go ahead.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 09:18:40 PM »

verry creative of the guy! Used what he had and it worked out, i use 2 # 10 barrel swivels and brass or silver blade size 4 or 5, 2 large slip rings, for extra length and a 1/0 silver or black gammy! Caught many a coho on these rigs, just not any this year, mabey the cap will produce saturday?!
Fish killer 101