Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stamp River - December 23rd  (Read 3813 times)

JustinG

Stamp River - December 23rd
« on: December 27, 2006, 09:21:01 AM »

We set up a guided trip with a local that came highly recomended, Ken Meyers. This guy knew every little hole in the river. We had 10 hookups we could count and landed 7. I had 2 winters and 2 summers. My father in law landed 2 winters and a summer. The father in law landed the winner, after measuring we estimate the winter buck was around 15lbs, VERY nice fish (we cursed not having a camera at that point). It was his first steelhead since 1972, not bad way to get back into it! All our fish were caught on steelhead roe. We fished above the bait boundary with gooey bobs for ~1hr with no real success. The water was in excellent condition, with just a little colour. Ken said it was busy on the river...we saw 2 other guide boats and 7 shore fishermen all day. I've already booked another trip for January. The fish are in in Pt Alberni.
Cheers,
Justin.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
Re: Stamp River - December 23rd
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 09:28:52 AM »

sounds like a great trip, sucks you didn't bring a camera
one day I would love to take a guided trip ike that
TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

JustinG

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 09:57:48 AM »

Not only was the fishing great, but the tips on technique helped quite a bit.

JustinG

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 10:08:40 AM »

Well...
- my hook set was not hard enough
- my drag was being set a little too tight
- my reel "definitely" needs a tune-up (I though it was ok)
- placement of my gooey bobs was not to his liking ( I was placing it just above the hook, he put it on the lower part of the hook )

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 01:29:29 PM »

Good Report Justin, and right fits well with what we've been seeing on the local flow this year! Congrats on an excellent day!!

Kenny is indeed amongst the Finest here! Not only a super hot saltwater guide, he really does shine on the local rivers! Deadly in fact!! It is likely that I saw you folks (if this is a report from the 23rd). I was the fella with an Islander playing a fish when you Ladz came downstream from the Bucket (Remember telling Ken, "They're tinies! Where's all the Big Guys"... LOL!) We did bonk that one, ~ 8 lb hatch buck that was fanatastic on the BarBee that eve. Number 28 winter to hand for me this season, the best I recall for this early in a rather long time!! Haven't managed to get out since then (strange for me, but duties were calling) to be rectified in the morning! Going stircrazy here, and NEED to get back out there!

Thanks indeed for the report! At least I can get there vicariously through your expriences! Appreciated!!!  ;D

Cheers,
Nog

JustinG

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 04:06:01 PM »

That was you playing that fish? I recall that. I was wondering how you guys made it to that particular spot. I know how to get to the Bucket from the Gun Club side, but not the opposite. I tried to last year and ended up on a backroad near the airport.

You are quite lucky to have such a scenic and healthy river in your backyard, can't deny I'm a little jealous!

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 06:09:43 PM »

I booked a trip with Ken on Dec 30th.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 07:17:36 PM »

- placement of my gooey bobs was not to his liking ( I was placing it just above the hook, he put it on the lower part of the hook )

On the shank ? Most people I know place the gooey bobs above the hook.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 10:02:01 PM »

I like to place my gooey bobs just above the hook with a bead. But the most important part is choosing the right size hook. Most ppl use too small of a hook when fishing with the bob, the hook should be big enough to let the bob passes though... goodluck
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 10:06:55 PM by Steelhead King »

JustinG

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 08:48:59 AM »

Steelhead King, enjoy it.

Also, I have one of your balsa floats. I'm on the Vedder every few weekends, let me know if you want it back and we'll set something up. From the text on it, it looks like one of your buddy's made it for you.

fishfryer

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 11:07:31 AM »

i fished with kenny week before last, and landed 15, and missed 6 or 7. wasn't sure if i missed because my gear was too heavy, or... i was just too slow that  morning. i too wondered about placing a small gooey on the hook itself, especially on a #1 hook, but i only lost one or two of 10 or 12 fish above the bucket. after 4 trips with kenny, and over 50 steelhead landed in my first year of fishing, i can tell you that i'm not going to question anything that he says, or does. that's the other thing about paying the money for a guide, the tips and techniques. it's great though, to fish with a couple of guys, and take bits and piece from each, to develop your own methods.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 02:21:01 PM »

sounds like a great trip!
weeeeeeeeeow!

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 08:05:02 PM »

I booked a trip with Ken on Dec 30th.

whats his contact number/company number and about how much does he charge for these steelhead trips?

always wanted to fish the island.

I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 11:45:58 PM »

was there today and saw a member of the forum out on a jet. thought i saw rod with him but i think im wrong. Anyways saw him catch one hatch fish as he drifted by

fishfryer

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006, 08:04:43 AM »

kenny meyers, 1-250-720-5118
you'll have to ask re: cost, I get the volume discount ;D ;D ;D