Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sage 3106L  (Read 19842 times)

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Sage 3106L
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 07:35:52 PM »

MB=MEDIUM BLANK

LB=LIGHT BLANK
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

mikeNW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 07:52:36 PM »

If you have a 3106MB Kingpin then it would not be a Sage factory rod."B" means it was sold as a blank.If you were to break it Sage would only replace the blank not finished rod.I would check with the vendor to make sure you got what you paid for.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 07:59:03 PM »

it says 3113M i just call it a mb as thats what all the other ones ive ever used are,
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 09:01:56 PM »

While we are on the subject.
I have a 3106mb trigger and would trade it for the 3106lb if anyone is interested.
I very rarely fish the bigger flows so the extra power isnt necessary.

It is the brown blank and built by Babcocks and in good used condition.
Would be a great rod for the Vedder.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 09:03:30 PM by firstlight »

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 10:23:43 PM »

What the difference between a 3106L and the 3113LB(in action wise or line rated).    Thanks
Anybody???????

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2007, 10:54:44 PM »

The new sage and the "brown" blank is very much so the same, share the same action, same line rating. Both the new and old blanks build with  the same material, same spec, except different color... The only way to find the differents between the two or looks differents is because the way the rod was build.. All new factory sage had the same guide placement, same reel seat, same length of handle.. etc.. But when it comes to Custom build rods.. Some rod have an extra guide, or space more/less between each one.. length of handle.. all can affact the action of the rod.. so you can't really compare the two.. Unless you can test them in just the blank with no components.. or elses you can't really conduct the test...

goblin59

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2007, 11:10:16 PM »

3106 designates 10'6"
3113 designates 11'3"

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2007, 11:13:25 PM »

Like Marco said, the only way you could do a fair test is if you took a green blank and a brown blank and built them exactly the same.

I've used both custom built brown gear rods and the factory greens and I have no problem fishing with either one. 

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2007, 11:16:03 PM »

3106 designates 10'6"
3113 designates 11'3"
Hi goblin59,thanks for the reply,i knew about the length difference already,but i want to know is there any diffference  in action or line rated between those 2 rods
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 11:17:41 PM by BIG T »

mikeNW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2007, 07:13:17 AM »

For the record the original brown blanks were never built as fasctory rods and were only available as blanks.BigT I can't tell you the exact line ratings for those two rods but Brian @ westcoast fishing Tackle could or any other Sage dealer for that matter.My personal opinion is that the 3113L is a bit whippy and I prefer the 3113m as a centerpin rod.I use both a 3106L and a 3113m for pinning and think they're both tops.I fish some smaller systems where the 3113m is a little long and usually opt for the 3106 for those flows.As for moochers I think Brian sells more 3113m's and 4112's than anything else.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2007, 07:32:18 AM »

Like Marco said, the only way you could do a fair test is if you took a green blank and a brown blank and built them exactly the same.

I've used both custom built brown gear rods and the factory greens and I have no problem fishing with either one. 
I have both as well. the Brown 3113 and the green 2106.  I would have to say that they are a bit different in feel, but the green 2106 is faster action, and I really like the feel, much more than the brown 2106 that Searun let me try out!!  The Brown seemed a bit noodly for me, I like the Green blank better hands down.  Mind you for the 3113, the Brown blank is awesome and has the perfect feel FOR ME!!  Most if it comes down to personal preference, who the hell cares if someone was so stuck up about a rod that they had to set up a big test just so they could see that they we almost the same.  If you have used the rod on the river enough, and you like the feel of it, then great.  If you haven't used the rod anywhere but a tackle shop, then you really shouldn't be knocking it until you do.    ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2007, 03:24:27 PM »

last summer i won a 3113 factory with an islander mr3 in a derby on the west coast. I sold the rod to a friend as i have 4 talon boat rods already. His buddy wanted 2 sage rods built exactly to spec with the factory rod and provided me with two brown blanks to wrap up for him. The spacing, seat and spine locations for the finished rods matched the factory specs to the T. He noticed the difference in feel and set up his own little test to see if the parobolic curves were the same from factory to original series. I happened to be there for this experiment.

Anyhow, having fished the green 3113 factory from my boat for 5 or 6 trips in nootka, landing maybe 30 springs and 20 coho on it, and one very ugly monster ling, it was a pleasure to use. I prefer Talon rods, most folks know that round here. But I am still one of those that believes there is a subtle difference between the old and the new sage blanks. For a chuck rod... it prolly doesn't matter, but for a discerning centerpin fisher.... seems a few guys are still yearnin for the oldies and wether it's all in our heads or not... the new just ain't like the old.

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2007, 03:59:21 PM »

YEAH !  ;D

Brian Babcock

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2007, 05:50:12 PM »

Hi folks. I thought I had better jump in here and clarify a few things. First off, so everyone understands where I'm coming from, I have run the Sage Gear program for the past two years. Any and all changes are my responsibility. I initiated the factory rods and was responsible for the colour change. I develop all of the new models and decide which old ones stay.

For the record, the new green blanks are exactly the same as the old brown blanks. Colour change only. Now before everyone starts giving me anecdotal stories about differences in action, let me explain a few things. Some of those blanks have been around for almost 20 years. In that time, there has been changes in basic raw materials - graphite, resin, etc. Sage has always attempted to maintain the exact actions as the originals, but I'm not going to say that it's impossible, over the span of 20 years, to not find some subtle differences within specific models. I will tell you, however, that the new green blanks are manufactured exactly the same as any brown blanks manufactured in the 3 or 4 years prior to my involvement. Rest assured that each and every Sage Gear rod is still being manufactured at our plant on Bainbridge Island WA. We have developed some new models - currently CT296F, CT396F, SP196. These can all be viewed at www.sagegearrods.com I am currently working on some new designs for down the road which are very exciting - Stay tuned!

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Brian Babcock

allwaysfishin

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2007, 06:01:26 PM »

there ya go from the horses mouth.... thx Brian
this topic has come up evrywhere from the internet, the poker table and on the river. You, I will take your word because I am familiar with your position with Sage. They are and always will be great rods. I'm sure there will always be those of us that wish for the brown blank so bad that the green will never quite measure up :D . Regardless, I love fishing my sage rpl's , and my 3113, 3106 and 2106 rods, as much as i enjoy fishing my Talon rods, but, it don't really matter. I guess a sage is a sage is a sage, which for the modern angler equates to quality regardless of colour.