Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to fish for steel head questions  (Read 6797 times)

Piranha

How to fish for steel head questions
« on: February 01, 2007, 04:00:42 PM »

Hi guys, I'm such a beginner to thiis. I try to read as much I can on this forum and else where but some questions remain unanswered.

When fishing for steelhead do you make your way up the river or do you start at the top and work your way down river?

Also as I understand this,  head is where the fast water flows into calmer waters and tail is where calm water turns to faster flowing water? Do i got this right?

And what water do steelhead hang out in the most? I know I have to search for them but what water is best to cover?

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: How to fish for steel head questions
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 04:09:31 PM »

top to bottom is best. U got the second one right! Riffles, runs, slots, pocket water, somtimes pools, behind boulders, along current seams, beside/behind logs, tailout, head of the run. Water between 1-8 feet deep. Gravel or rock bottom, sand and gills dont mix. Anywhere where the steely either doesn't need to exert as much energy or where he/she can get the most oxygen, or feels safe. Choppy water, shade, overhanging trees/banks. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 07:00:06 PM by younggun »
Fish killer 101

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 04:11:42 PM »

And what water do steelhead hang out in the most? I know I have to search for them but what water is best to cover?

Depends on water clarity.

shadowcaster

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 06:35:41 PM »

If the water is low and clear the fish will seek cover. Fish the deeper water at the head of the runs. Fish hold were its safe. If the water is high and dirty they will be closer to shore. The river level is also very important. In high water don,t over look the side channels everybody is wading through. Steelhead will lay in a foot of water in the right water conditions. With that said the most important thing is presentation. Clear water,long light leader, small bait. Dirty water, short heavy leader, big bait. That's just my opinion. I hope that helps you. Cheers.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 07:29:01 PM »

I've got that book, also look for west coast steelheader, with pieces done by Steve kaye, David murphy, Art Lingren, Barry M. Thorton, MAtt Guiguet and compiled my Makr Pendlington! All great steelheaders!
Fish killer 101

allwaysfishin

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 09:51:04 AM »

one thing i've found is that even in clear conditions, most steelhead ARE NOT leader shy. Every fish i have caught this year and most of the ones last year were caught on 18 inches of leader (or less) and i use nothing but 12# leader now (pline cfx flourocarbon), in ALL conditions. Also, a great many of the fish i have caught over the years have been in 2 to 3 feet of water within 10 to 15 feet of shore. When you are just starting out, look for water that is 3 to 5 ft deep and a moderately fast walking speed to the flow. Avoid spending much time fishing deep(6 ft plus) very slow water. Also fish behind structure... fallen logs, boulders mid river or along the edges... anything that breaks or slows the current. fish these types of water hard. Also, start by fishing close in and gradually make your casts farther out from shore, covering all the water. Starting at the head of a run and working your way down to the tailout is always a good idea BUT certain water conditions and certain times of day will find me fishing the tailouts first as long as i'm not going in front of another steelheader working his way down the run.

Piranha

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 05:57:14 PM »

Another question.

I only have 12lb  fluorocarbon line. I guess that's good for some steelhead? And as for the leader I only have some left over maxiima 12llb, maxima 8lb and fluorocarbon 6lb line. If my main line is 12lbs fluocarbon should i still use a leader? wht weight would you guys recommend?

allwaysfishin

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 06:01:19 PM »

get some 15lbs or 20lbs maxima mainline and keep your 12# for leader

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 06:14:02 PM »

Birdman hit the nail on the head. If you want to learn and learn fast take one of those courses. Many of the people here who are catching fish didnt get that good from one year of steelheading. Many have put in allot of years. Lots of people that start out dont catch a fish in their first couple years.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 07:53:01 PM »

Who are STS? Do they still offer a course?
The Bigger The Better!

cohoslayer1

• Bring on the steelhead
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 08:19:32 PM »

or you can take an guide for the first time (cough birdman)beek
or you can learn the hard way by going out and making friends on the rivers. they will eventually break down and tell you some tricks of the trade.
but the best thing you can do is put your time in and have fun at doing it ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 08:58:23 PM »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 10:29:01 PM »

Hey CohoSlayer1 I think I was fishing near you on Thursday, were you with a bait caster, and your buddy a ceneter pin?
The Bigger The Better!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 09:25:36 AM »

steveston marine also offers a full day steelhead course.... run by myself, on the chilliwack river. I also ran this class when i worked for Berry's. Was quite popular and most folks seemed to get quite a bit from it. You may want to pm or contact scruffy as he was trying to put a couple guys together to book a class.

Walter Q

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 09:34:05 AM »

Read as much as you can at night,,,,,fish as much as you can during the day. Nothing, I mean nothing will teach you more than time on the water. And when on the water, be aware,,,,of water clarity, where others catch their fish,river levels, etc, etc. Again, nothing beats time on the flow.