Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Stamp River February 4th, 2007  (Read 2833 times)

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
The Stamp River February 4th, 2007
« on: February 05, 2007, 01:36:08 PM »

We went out with Nick from West Coast River Charters in Port Alberni on Sunday. The day was pretty wet and cold to begin with and I was glad of the propane heater in the boat. Second cast, wham ! Steelie, on and gone. The day was awesome, the water was low and clear and the other traffic on the river was minimal. The fishing dropped off in the afternoon but I had already caught my limit so I proceeded to smoke a cigar and pray to the fish Gods that my buddy would get another one.

9 for the day, I hooked 8, landed 3, kept 2 nice does, my buddy hooked and landed his first Steelhead but she was wild and was released. Oh yeah, my first Steelhead as well.  ;D

Nick was awesome as always. Check out West Coast River Charters if you're thinking of heading over.

Added a video clip as well below.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/video/3071298990038215278

« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 01:58:34 PM by Kelso »

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
Re: The Stamp River February 4th, 2007
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 02:15:18 PM »

Thanks Nuggy,

Let's arrange the next trip. Let me know. ;D

darmin

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 06:23:18 AM »

thanks Cammer I was going to comment on that release thats gotta be hard on that fish thats all i will say on that topic ::)

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 07:24:39 AM »

Kelly, glad you had a good trip.  Time to hit the Vedder and get some big ones.  Rod

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 08:23:53 AM »

Nice fish and good job :)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

allwaysfishin

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 08:57:20 AM »

Sounds like a pretty good trip Kelso. Nick is a first class guide all the way. Was most of your action in the upper I guess? Was thinkin of maybe headin over one more time this year but...... we'll see. That stamp steel fishing is kinda like crack hehehe.... just one more hit please ;D

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 11:12:45 AM »

allwaysfishin,

Hey thanks, the trip was great. My first hit was just down from where Nick keeps his boat and then we got two more in there before we started moving around. Went to just under the bucket and then made our way back and went into some pretty crazy spots. We both got our first Steelheads ever, very cool indeed.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 03:16:23 PM »

Sounds like you had an awsome trip! Cant wait..Only 14 more days till my trip!
weeeeeeeeeow!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 06:13:52 PM »

roe kid... are you guys drifting the upper above the falls? Or do you know yet? I'll have to try that water next year.

J.G.

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 06:41:12 PM »

thanks Cammer I was going to comment on that release thats gotta be hard on that fish thats all i will say on that topic ::)

agreed

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 07:29:06 PM »

They use really expensive proper catch and release nets. Like the ones people use for interior bows. There isn't a difference.

Sorry birdman, some people are just out of the loop. They don't realize that these new nets allow fish to breath out of water.  ;)

On a more serious note: The handling of that fish would not be considered acceptable, given how long it was held out of water. So far the people who have realized this have been pretty good about not making a scene. I'm sure Kelso appreciates people pointing this out in a constructive manner rather than flamming him.
Actions speak louder than words.

sassygrams

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 07:47:42 PM »

;D Congrats on your first steelie Kelso!  Nice to hear you had a good trip and thanks for sharing the pics. 
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 11:10:32 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback, both positive and critical. You can clearly see in the video that we discovered another hook in the Steelheads mouth in addition to my buddies and that is the reason she was out of the water longer than we would have liked. If you listen, you can even hear me say something like "that's probably mine". I don't think it was unreasonable to remove the hook and line before gently releasing her.