Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Report 2/8/2007  (Read 3875 times)

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
Fishing Report 2/8/2007
« on: February 08, 2007, 04:28:44 PM »

Greetings to all....

With the bit of rain that we got, I thought that the river would still be in nice shape. So with that in mind, I went looking for some chromeness on Wednesday . Sure enough, the water had a tinge of green to it and the visibility was around 3 feet. I tried roebags, worms, blades and shrimp..NADA...NADA. Fished for a total of 3 hours before calling it quits.

Today, I took the wife with me for luck. She settled into a book and just in case she got bored, she can watch a DVD in the car.

Fished somewhere around the canal with not a single person in sight. Fished for about 1 hour without any action.

Second hour, my wife had her binocular on me when she noticed me pulling back my rod and the sight of a fish jumping up and screaming down river. Well, I only managed to hang on to it for about 30 seconds. This was the first time I've lost a fish after making a really good contact with it.

Third hour, I managed to hand shake with another fish but only for a brief seconds before it popped off again.

Had to go home to pick up my kid from school after that. Well, I guess I cannot be lucky all the time. Maybe next time... :D

« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 04:30:58 PM by steelieman »

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing Report 2/8/2007
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 04:50:03 PM »

Good to hear. I guess you'll be bringing the wife more often? LOL.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 05:00:01 PM »

Great report.. too bad they got away , but you have to love even shaking hands withe for just a moment !!
sounds like a great woman you got there... not too many will come to the river with you
TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 05:29:38 PM »

steelieman, I'm going to report you for spousal cruelty. ;) DVD in a car on a rainy day??? :o

Sounds like you have had a pretty good steelhead season so far. :)

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 05:48:32 PM »

Has been one of my better years. I remembered 4 years ago, I hooked into 13 fish before landing my first.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 06:11:15 PM »

whao Im looking for my first this saturday! Got my fingers crossed :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 11:02:13 AM by THE_ROE_KID »
weeeeeeeeeow!

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 06:34:42 PM »

whao Im looking for my first this saturday! Got my fingers crosses :)

good luck danny hope you will get your first steelhead

steelieman : thanks for the report too bad for today
hardware == fish

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 06:45:08 PM »

That sounds like a good day to me. Anytime you hook into a steelhead is a good day. I have only been out 4 times this year, 3 of which were on the Vedder and one smaller flow and I only hooked into one fish so far ( lost it at my feet  :-[ )

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 07:32:25 PM »

I can pretty much sum up my day today fishing as the song by L.B. I believe? "One of those days"

I got almost no sleep...One of my daughters went to Japan yesterday with her H.S. wind ensemble for ten days...They will be the lead band at Disneyland over there..They the Sheeits..Anyways..I was thinking about her and the flight over and of course tossed and turned all night...

Guy I was going to fish with couldn't after all so I ended up solo...woke up and had a little misunderstanding first thing, so all my way out I was pissed off...checked in at Reaction and got some bugs...Haven't tried them yet...and just so you know...they are some nasty little buggers and stained my hands bad...

Started on the canal between KWB and train bridge...saw only one other guy...maybe that was you steelie man....Went out and the water was pretty murky...waded out and tossed a few...water where I was wasn't that good so decided to head up toward train bridge more...walking out, I slip in the mud and nearly bury my kingfisher in the mud..takes me awhile to clean it out enough that it doesn't make any grinding noise.. :o 

I start out on a run all by myself but you have to wade out to mid river..water clarity wasn't good so it was all by feel...which isn't the brightest thing I've done..but...it got worse...I fished the run to the tailout which is by an Island...I'm trying to come back that way and can't as it's to murky to see...then a guy comes down, stops...sees me and heads back up .... I'm thinking that's strange.. and then I get all paranoid that he's going to go after my truck... ???...things you think about when your having "one of those days"....I have to go back up river about 500 yards, step by stepping it in murky water till I can find a way to cross...then I high tale it up to my truck and it's fine..just paranoia setting in....

Head up to lickman...fish it a ways down..am gabbing cross river with another guy..we fish the run top to bottom and back up....I'm enjoying a nice Montecristo cigar, dark wrap and much stronger then my usual ones....The guy across from me shakes his head and heads for another spot...I see another guy walk down, pin fisher man too....he casts in where the other guy has just left and "bam" fish on....The only really cool part was he played it really cool so no one else on the river but me knew he had one on....got it close enough to see it was about an 8 pound wild...kind of looks left and right....reaches down with his pliers and pops it off gently and it's back to fishing without the usual run of guys down to us....I'm laughing and talking to him..and I swallow a big puff of cigar smoke....Well let me tell you....I turned green and had to walk off and gag a bit... :-[ man, nasty...

Headed up to peach after that...needed a good walk to clear my head...went to the right to see what it's like up by Woody's...wow...it's all gone up there...just wild..first time I've seen it up close up there...fished a small run with another pin guy and a guy who looked like CAPT. BONK....Bonk, you out fishing with your dog today???

Well, that was about it...wife called and said I had to get back as she was having problems loading a guys pallet as It was a super heavy one and partially broken...So, had to cut it short and get back....Just wasn't that fun today for some reason...Started pissed, ended pissed that I had to leave..and I decided to stay on the lower and really try and bust the streak..and I just don't like fishing down there...like two rivers and the lower just doesn't do it for me...OK, whine is over... :'(

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 10:15:54 PM »

I'm looking for my First 2007 fish on saturday too, wish me luck!
Fish killer 101

Tee

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 01:01:11 AM »

sounds like fun   :). Too bad they got away. I really want to get out for steelhead but will not be able to fish util the end of this month.

Cheers,
I only fish on days that end with "y".

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 02:04:42 PM »

Steelieman. You are sure one of our top rods for steelhead. You can't be lucky so many times.  ;) Congrats to your success,

got fish

• 7-11 steelhead
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 06:45:53 PM »

here is my report from today....got out after school for a couple hours and only heard of one really big wild fish lost by some guy.... ended up fishing alot of places and near the end of the day i did one of those cast and walk things....letting it drift while walking downriver... i look down watching where i step and i am free spooling.. suddenly i feel head shakes and i guess i am into a steel ::) ::) i barely  have time to click back in the spool and it is going down river... and i then loose it... oh well  i guess that i was lucky enough to even hook that one. about 15min later i am feeling ready to head in "last cast" i say to myself and put a cast perfectly into a run. near the end of the drift float down fish on  i feel head shakes and see flashes in the water... few seconds later i loose it again!!! agggg  ??? another one lost... well i guess it ended up being a good day.. :D going to hit up that section tommorow hopefully to get one out of there ;D ;D