Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder feb 24  (Read 3694 times)

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
vedder feb 24
« on: February 24, 2007, 06:05:48 PM »

Hit the river with winter steel today. Big surprise was there was hardly anyone on the river!  The conditions were great from top to bottom and the rain held off, just had some light snow.

we didn't find any fish in the spots we tryed out, -very surpriseing considering the water. We met coho kid at one spot and he and some friends were still searching for those elusive fish as well. 

At 2:00pm I got a call from Gooey, he had killed a hatchery fish in the upper river and connected with one that he lost earlier on. I'm sure we'll hear a report from him.   BP
Fish on!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: vedder feb 24
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 06:10:43 PM »

I spent a good amount of time out on the river today was well, actually it close to 10 hours. I fished the lower river the enitire time with only a small dollie to show for my efforts. Saw one hatchery fish bonked and didn't see or hear of any other fish touched by anyone. So good work Gooey on finding the needle in the haystack.
Actions speak louder than words.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 06:54:48 PM »

nice to meet you BP, i saw gooey out at that spot too, but i was on the other side of the river at the time. we eneded up with nadda, tommrow is another day.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 07:38:02 PM »

Ditto here, Me T.O. Merc and P.B.'s Rick started mid, saw jetboatjim and his buddy, fished an hour or so in snow and wind..(around first light)...Moved up higher, fished pocket water with lots of lost gear... :P Had to get something to eat so headed down, after that was taken care of came in around brown rd. ran into Milo and Tadpol ??? beautiful ridge back dog tad. I think he said he had one on but lost it...saw only one taken on the lower...we walked and fished all the way down to the train bridge with no love...Then headed back up, hit the mid and no sooner then the gear goes out the wind and rain started hard seriously sucked large...Ended upper river and nothing there either...

I will say this, I'm amazed at how many guys will tell you how they are into fish all day...and then we watched this one guy who told us what a great fisherman he is....he breaks off on a snag that Rick lost gear on twice...I came up and hooked into twice as well... ::) I tried to pretend it was a fish but Rick and Merc just sat frozen on the beach shaking their heads at me....This guy is in my pocket even though the whole run is open....He fishes the same spot and hits the snag...were watching him and laughing cause I told him it was there...He starts just yanking on his rod and finally busts his leader, His partner comes up and the guy tells him.."I just rolled one right there. It was a small one though but still broke my leader"  Makes you wonder what guys THINK are fish...So from now on, every snag I hang up is going to be a rolled fish...So I had around 10 today..
Damn it was brutal with that wind...I'm still cold!!!

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 08:16:17 PM »

I lost one in that fast water where I last seen you guys golfey x ;), but I caught it in one of those spots that you just know if ya hook one its going to take you for a walk half way to squamish then spit the hook.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 08:26:13 PM »

Ditto here, Me T.O. Merc and P.B.'s Rick started mid, saw jetboatjim and his buddy, fished an hour or so in snow and wind..(around first light)...Moved up higher, fished pocket water with lots of lost gear... :P Had to get something to eat so headed down, after that was taken care of came in around brown rd. ran into Milo and Tadpol ??? beautiful ridge back dog tad. I think he said he had one on but lost it...saw only one taken on the lower...we walked and fished all the way down to the train bridge with no love...Then headed back up, hit the mid and no sooner then the gear goes out the wind and rain started hard seriously sucked large...Ended upper river and nothing there either...

I will say this, I'm amazed at how many guys will tell you how they are into fish all day...and then we watched this one guy who told us what a great fisherman he is....he breaks off on a snag that Rick lost gear on twice...I came up and hooked into twice as well... ::) I tried to pretend it was a fish but Rick and Merc just sat frozen on the beach shaking their heads at me....This guy is in my pocket even though the whole run is open....He fishes the same spot and hits the snag...were watching him and laughing cause I told him it was there...He starts just yanking on his rod and finally busts his leader, His partner comes up and the guy tells him.."I just rolled one right there. It was a small one though but still broke my leader"  Makes you wonder what guys THINK are fish...So from now on, every snag I hang up is going to be a rolled fish...So I had around 10 today..
Damn it was brutal with that wind...I'm still cold!!!

Ya Xgolfman, I know what you mean about guys telling you how great they are, esp when you didn't ask them.
Fish on!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 08:51:58 PM »

I lost one in that fast water where I last seen you guys golfey x ;), but I caught it in one of those spots that you just know if ya hook one its going to take you for a walk half way to squamish then spit the hook.

That water kicked my a$$, I lost three rigs in three casts...the last one only my float was left, so I took it off and threw it in after the others..Merc and Rick are like.."What the hell are you doing?"...I donated it so Chris would have something to do....

Yeah I hear you, bugpumper...nothing like a ten minute discussion on how great though art..when no one asked and just watched you and your ten foot leader rip through another snag...errr rolled fish again.. ;)

ever_hopefull

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 08:59:24 PM »

After reading the reports, I don't feel so bad.  Got out late (~1:30) and stayed in the upper river till dark, without even a sniff.  >:(  The water was great, I got to try out some new spots, and was convinced today was going to be a great day.  I only heard of 1 being taken around the 14lb mark.  I will probably head out again in the morning, because they are in there somewhere.  I guess my handle is indicative of my attitude.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 10:08:43 PM »

As BP mentioned, I had pretty good luck today...I hooked into 2 fish both in pocket water.  I like to cover the river when I fish and today it paid off as I connected with fish up high and in the mid river.  One was lost as it snapped 10lb leader like nothing, I was fishing a really tight area and had no choice but to hold back on this fish.  When it hit, it immidiatedly came to the surface and I could see it was a good 12-14lbs and once it shot back down to the bottom and turned in the current, it was game over.  Luckily I got another one later on in the day. 

one was in clear water, the other was in colored but it was the same presentation: dime sized corky over a #2 gammi with a roe sack (chartruese mesh containing big old double red spring eggs).  It was good to have a multiple fish day, I dont get many.  Best thing was that not a sole was in sight at either of the spots I hooked my fish...whata day!

I am realatively new to fishing roe sack but after today they have moved way up my favourite list!  I have a pic but I need to crop it before I post it here  ;)

So CK was that you I saw above the crossing?

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 10:21:40 PM »

Hi gooey,havent heard from you for a long time,congrat to you and thanks for the report.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 10:28:43 PM »

Ya, this is only my 4rth or 5th trip the season...wife was outta town on business for a week and our 3 and 4 year olds keep us very busy so I havent got out much.  the trip out with my dad today (including a couple of fish) was a long time coming.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 10:32:45 PM »

Ya, this is only my 4rth or 5th trip the season...wife was outta town on business for a week and our 3 and 4 year olds keep us very busy so I havent got out much.  the trip out with my dad today (including a couple of fish) was a long time coming.

Wait till their teenagers and you have to wait up for them...Now I know why the English sent them away to school.. :-\

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 12:36:37 PM »

I went out to the wack to pick up my boat yesterday, which now has an awesome casting platform with locked storage, and room to run my electric and jet at the same time... Looks soooo good! Fry season watch out, it's going to be great this year.

I had a bit of time before meeting up back in Vancouver for a dinner party, so I headed up to the upper to fish the braids at the first clay slide... The water was pretty low, and there were zero people through the entire 500 yard stretch. It was like I was on some other river, it was awesome!

Anyhow, after 1.5 hours I had to go, and left all steelhead in tact, no one wanted to play... Oh well, it was still a nice day...

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 01:08:52 PM »

Wait till their teenagers and you have to wait up for them...Now I know why the English sent them away to school.. :-\

Some days I wish I could send my 12 year old daughter away  ;D ;D . OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH the attitude.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 02:07:35 PM »

my 11yr. old sister has had major attitude lately! fly guy i know what you mean ::)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 03:28:19 PM by Coho Cody »