Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Don't take your wife fishing  (Read 6027 times)

ColinB

Don't take your wife fishing
« on: March 11, 2007, 06:00:56 AM »

This might happen!!!

39lbs 08ozs Second largest pike caught by a woman in the British Isles!  Lyn Baker looks pretty happy don't you think?

Colin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Don't take your wife fishing
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 01:10:04 PM »

You won't ever hear the end of it. ;D

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 04:15:29 PM »

I think that pike must have been feeding on Sheep - it's huge.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 05:40:20 PM »

just tell her, "Honey, put your hand in his mouth and feel how soft his tongue is" that should help!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 07:00:39 PM »

Lucky fisherwoman indeed, I envy. Big northern pike in europe are not rare, but they sure are educated. :-\ Over the years I've gained respect on this species. Even though they are predatory, they do not just hammer on anything that swims in the water. Here is an attached photo that a friend of mine from Denmark sent me around this time last year (the person in the photo is not him, but someone who caught the fish in his area).

Hook Set

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 07:09:33 PM »

Huge fish, both of them. Don't want to be in a float tube with those swimming around.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 07:10:32 PM »

Getting them on the fly is also very popular there too. This is what a couple of my friends from Global Flyfisher caught on the fly last August.

http://globalflyfisher.com/blog/index.php?day=2006-08-09

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 07:29:37 PM »

Do they eat them ROd??? Did they bonk um??? Are they good???

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 07:37:33 PM »

Some eat them, some catch and release. They are made into fish cakes I think.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 09:48:37 PM »

Pike are good to eat.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Murkeywaters

• Life long angler, arrived in BC Nov 2005 from UK
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 12:21:15 AM »

In the UK they are ALL released, unhooked on padded unhooking mats, treated with 'kid gloves', no "Gags" forcing mouths open and damaging teeth. Weighed in special soft mesh 'slings' and held in the water for as long as it take for them to recover - no "dive bombing" them back. Well at least by 99% of anglers.

This fish came from Scotland.

The PACGB (Pike Anglers Club of Great Britain) www.pacgb.co.uk gets limited access to this water at times and it's a lottery for members to to get a ticket due to limited numbers.

The PACGB have been instumental in changing attitudes towards Pike in the UK for a long time and have done a fantistic job of highlighting really good handling techniques to the British angling public. Despite what many think they are an incredibly fragile fish and need to be handled with the up most care to survive C&R consistently.

No one would even consider eating such a wonderful fish over there! There isn't enough around to sustain taking fish for the pot, when you think about the population of the UK and size of the place you'll realise why. Although with the influx of East Europeans into the UK who have a differnet view/culture, UK angling is facing a big challenge, and it's causing plenty of friction between the differnet groups.

An awesome fish!!!!!!!!!

I don't know any details but here's another monster, not from the UK.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/General_Fishing_C2/Freshwater_Fishing_F2/Best_Pike_Catch_ever_P310227/

cheers,

Paul.

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 03:27:02 AM »

In the UK they are ALL released, unhooked on padded unhooking mats, treated with 'kid gloves', no "Gags" forcing mouths open and damaging teeth. Weighed in special soft mesh 'slings' and held in the water for as long as it take for them to recover - no "dive bombing" them back. Well at least by 99% of anglers.

This fish came from Scotland.

The PACGB (Pike Anglers Club of Great Britain) www.pacgb.co.uk gets limited access to this water at times and it's a lottery for members to to get a ticket due to limited numbers.

The PACGB have been instumental in changing attitudes towards Pike in the UK for a long time and have done a fantistic job of highlighting really good handling techniques to the British angling public. Despite what many think they are an incredibly fragile fish and need to be handled with the up most care to survive C&R consistently.

No one would even consider eating such a wonderful fish over there! There isn't enough around to sustain taking fish for the pot, when you think about the population of the UK and size of the place you'll realise why. Although with the influx of East Europeans into the UK who have a differnet view/culture, UK angling is facing a big challenge, and it's causing plenty of friction between the differnet groups.

An awesome fish!!!!!!!!!

I don't know any details but here's another monster, not from the UK.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/General_Fishing_C2/Freshwater_Fishing_F2/Best_Pike_Catch_ever_P310227/

cheers,

Paul.

yeah i saw john wilson safari fishing video when he was fishing pike on lakes
hardware == fish

ColinB

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 03:29:51 AM »

Murkeywaters raises an interesting point about populations.

The UK is a bit bigger than Vancouver Island but has an estimated population of 60 million.  Estimated as the government have no idea how many immigrants have arrived in the last 5 years. ???

Count yourselves lucky guys!! ;D

Re eating them, I can never understand why, when there are some many really good tasting fish around, anyone would want to kill and eat such a magnificent specimen that needs so much preparation to make it palatable?  The same applies to the smaller ones as well.

Colin

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 07:35:20 AM »

If you fish in Manitoba and Northern Ontario there are some pretty healthy populations of them. So eating one or two isn't hurting anyone but the fish. The Natives have long ago learned how to fillet pike and have passed that on to some people I went fishing with. It is a real skill to fillet them and get the bones out. Darn good eating from there. I caught them in southern Alberta irrragation sloughs and wouldn't think of eating them.

As for all those Scots you keep kicking out of the UK, they're all coming here. :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 08:01:17 AM »

regarding eating them.   :-X is all I have to say about pike. OK well also, yuck yuck yuck!