Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Don't take your wife fishing  (Read 6028 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Re: Don't take your wife fishing
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 01:46:36 PM »

Murkeywaters raises an interesting point about populations.

The UK is a bit bigger than Vancouver Island but has an estimated population of 60 million.  Estimated as the government have no idea how many immigrants have arrived in the last 5 years. ???

Count yourselves lucky guys!! ;D

Re eating them, I can never understand why, when there are some many really good tasting fish around, anyone would want to kill and eat such a magnificent specimen that needs so much preparation to make it palatable?  The same applies to the smaller ones as well.

I was asking as It looks like the one fish was bonked and I didn't think anyone ate pike..at least I haven't heard of it...OK, some guys love eating bass so I quess anything is possible...catfish???

Colin

ColinB

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 02:38:48 AM »

If you fish in Manitoba and Northern Ontario there are some pretty healthy populations of them. So eating one or two isn't hurting anyone but the fish. The Natives have long ago learned how to fillet pike and have passed that on to some people I went fishing with. It is a real skill to fillet them and get the bones out. Darn good eating from there. I caught them in southern Alberta irrragation sloughs and wouldn't think of eating them.

As for all those Scots you keep kicking out of the UK, they're all coming here. :-\
The pike stocks in the UK while not desperately low, are certainly under pressure.  If just a small proportion of the UK population start eating them it will be bad news for Pike and Pike anglers.

Sadly I'm a bit to old to move to Manitoba or Northern Ontario.

Sorry about all those Scots moving over there, I just wish Blair and Brown would go with them!! ;D

Colin

Murkeywaters

• Life long angler, arrived in BC Nov 2005 from UK
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 03:20:24 AM »

"Sorry about all those Scots moving over there, I just wish Blair and Brown would go with them!!"

Colin,

Scots are just fine but I didn't move all this way to have those two ****** come join me, it's one of the reasons I left!

They probably wouldn't get in anyway, Canada has real immigration laws that weed out the less desirables, you have a much higher standard of immigrant out here - if I don't say so myself ;)

That and the fact that you have to work for a living out here, not sit on your backside and bleed the country dry while constantly moaning about how your numerous human "rights" are not being upheld.

People just seem to get on with life much more and take responsibilty for themselves, I don't think many of the GB immigrants (and native dole bludgers) would like it much, what a shame they won't get to find out! Oh how I miss home - not!

Take care my friend, don't let 'em grind you down.

cheers,

Paul.