Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two wonderful days on the Squish  (Read 2377 times)

nigglesworth

Two wonderful days on the Squish
« on: April 09, 2007, 05:05:56 PM »

Spent Friday and Saturday in the upper Squish and had a wonderful time.  The water was probably the clearest I have seen it.  I brought the canoe up just in case we decided to hit a lake later, but with the water levels the way they were, we decided to drop it in the river and cruise down.  What an amazing way to explore this ever changing river!  Found many beautiful side channels, fished all those pockets that were always out of reach and had large stretches of the river all to our selves.  we had such a blast, we had to do it again on Saturday!  All told, 7 dollies were caught and two lost.  Not a bad day for two people over two days.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Two wonderful days on the Squish
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 05:31:40 PM »

It sounds like a good time, we should have gone up on those two days too... :-\

FYI, water clarity on the Squamish is way down now, big contrast to when you were there. The spike of temperature must have started the snow melt faster. Unless we get some more cool days, this season is done. The Cheakamus River will remain clear unless we get some rainy days.

oldtimehockey

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 09:28:03 PM »

A little bird told me that whoever it was that you went fishing with caught all 7.  Is this true?  How did you fare?
"I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father"
-Greg Norman

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 10:07:17 AM »

What type of water did you find the fish in, they've moved out of the water I had fished successfully in late winter and I'm having trouble locating the fish.  As far as I can tell, they like deep and slow water in the winter and don't mind being over sand, although they don't mind being in shallow water if there is cover and the current is moving a little faster.

Thanks

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 10:19:28 AM »

matt
i have most of my success for them in knee dee water that has a good flow to it. a decent riffle on the top of the water is a tell tale sign of where they are usually (for me anyway. im not an expert by any stretch), not rapids where it seems youd find bows but a good riffle on the top with some calmer water beside it. fish the seam between the riffle and the calm and you should have success..

tight lines..
derek
always a student