Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Diary - Keeping track of my fishing effort  (Read 5240 times)

CustomRetrieval

Fishing Diary - Keeping track of my fishing effort
« on: May 26, 2007, 07:35:40 PM »

I am entering my second year of true fishing and I am already having trouble recalling the specifics of past efforts. I know many people use some sort of fishing diary to keep track of their efforts and I can only imagine the wealth of information that they hold.
I have come to the conclusion that I need to fully record my efforts in order to build my own fishing database. I am just unsure of exactly what I should be recording, sohere I am.

I have come up with this template:

for better quality viewing:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/CustomRetrieval/FishingReportTemplateV1.png

So, What is missing?

Sorry about the quality, going from excel to an image kinda butchered the resolution

Thanks for the help

CR

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing Diary - Keeping track of my fishing effort
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 07:49:26 PM »

I've been keeping a log for the past 10 years or so and it has paid big dividends. Other factors you may wish to record include barometric pressure, best times, type of bait including flies, lures, number of strikes, number of fish killed, released, size.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 08:39:41 PM »

can u buy fishing logs and do u have to make them....(not that i'm lazy ;))

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 08:42:09 PM »

Berry's Tackle carry a fishing diary but I think it's geared toward flyfisherman. You can easily custom make one for your fishing.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 06:58:00 AM »

These are such a great idea, I started doing them in 1958 and to this day still enjoy reading them.

I have slackened off badly the last few years but I guess I can now read "The Journal". ;D ;D

Zpg

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 11:09:04 AM »

Looks pretty thorough! Although I don't use this as a factor, you might want to track the moon phase. Maybe it is a big thing and I just don't know it :)
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 11:11:13 AM »

I've been keeping one over the last year as well. You'd be amazed the sorts of things that you can learn from long term trends that you would never even think to consider after a single days fishing.
Actions speak louder than words.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 11:23:03 AM »

I have been keeping one for years, although, with the lack of fish I have been catching lately, I have kinda slacked off on it.   :-[  But it does really help, at least I think it does.... ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 06:43:34 PM »

I still have a box of the ones I was helping market back in 2000. Send me your address on the message bord and I'll send you one.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 07:28:04 PM »

Mine has a spot to name the location where you went fishing but one thing that I wish my journal had was a chart for specific location on the particular lake, river, or the ocean where you actually fished and how you did in that spot as opposed to writing it in the additional comments spot.  Mine also has a spot where you name fishing partners for that day, the type of fish you were targeting, and the method of fishing.  I'd like to see your finished product when it's all said and done.

johnny

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 11:25:30 AM »

Here's an online one I've used.

http://www.fishingworks.com
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

CustomRetrieval

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 08:47:38 PM »

Thanks for the input everyone.

I've been keeping a log for the past 10 years or so and it has paid big dividends. Other factors you may wish to record include barometric pressure, best times, type of bait including flies, lures, number of strikes, number of fish killed, released, size.
Barometric pressure for sure. Best times as in experienced, or as given by various guides? The rest I think I'll lump into comments, we'll see how it ends up.

Looks pretty thorough! Although I don't use this as a factor, you might want to track the moon phase. Maybe it is a big thing and I just don't know it :)
Moon phase is a good one. Maybe it affects the time of the bite, early morning or later-on etc. Also, it has to look good even if it contains crap, right?

I have been keeping one for years, although, with the lack of fish I have been catching lately, I have kinda slacked off on it.   :-[  But it does really help, at least I think it does.... ;D
Maybe it could tell you where not to fish.......

These are such a great idea, I started doing them in 1958 and to this day still enjoy reading them.

I have slackened off badly the last few years but I guess I can now read "The Journal". ;D ;D
"The Journal" entries in the fishing reports forum are always a great read.

Mine has a spot to name the location where you went fishing but one thing that I wish my journal had was a chart for specific location on the particular lake, river, or the ocean where you actually fished and how you did in that spot as opposed to writing it in the additional comments spot.  Mine also has a spot where you name fishing partners for that day, the type of fish you were targeting, and the method of fishing.  I'd like to see your finished product when it's all said and done.
I was thinking of using a separate bathymetric map for that. The other stuff mentioned either goes in rods(partners) or comments.

Here's an online one I've used.

http://www.fishingworks.com
Maybe I'll register later, I'm curious though.

Other things I intend to add for completeness: River Height, Tides, and maybe recent stocking info (although this can be found easily).
I'll post an updated version soon. And maybe a .pdf if anyone is interested.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 09:54:48 PM »

Barometric pressure for sure. Best times as in experienced, or as given by various guides? The rest I think I'll lump into comments, we'll see how it ends up.

Both

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 04:04:21 PM »

I am entering my second year of true fishing and I am already having trouble recalling the specifics of past efforts. I know many people use some sort of fishing diary to keep track of their efforts and I can only imagine the wealth of information that they hold.
I have come to the conclusion that I need to fully record my efforts in order to build my own fishing database. I am just unsure of exactly what I should be recording, sohere I am.

I have come up with this template:

How do u make your own template? 

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 04:39:19 PM »

?