Sporting
- 20 (29%)
Harvest for any species of salmon
- 5 (7.2%)
Snagging
- 19 (27.5%)
Harvest but only for Sockeye
- 17 (24.6%)
Dont care I'll do what ever is in the regs that gives me the best chance to catch a fish regardless if it bites or not.
- 8 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: 2007 Fraser River selective fishing method request notice  (Read 61094 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: 2007 Fraser River selective fishing method request notice
« Reply #150 on: July 02, 2007, 08:09:29 PM »

Here is a page from wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flosser

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #151 on: July 02, 2007, 08:24:39 PM »

Whoo hoo! I am ethical and a sport-fisherman. Thanks for the link fly guy!

Mike D.

« Reply #152 on: July 02, 2007, 10:15:11 PM »

I think Wikipedia needs a kick in the arse, and they need to stop getting amateurs writing their info on there....

Flossing is sportfishing lol, give me a break..... ;D

Mike <"))))><

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #153 on: July 03, 2007, 12:44:14 AM »

Nothing is good enough for people who is brain-washed against something. They will discredit anything you throw at them  without providing an sound reason and go back to chant their anti slogans. We see that happening all over the world and there is no difference here.  Even if you can prove that sockeye bites when presented properly in clearer water, it will not make any difference to the 'holier' gang. The mind is already locked in and programmed that bb for sockeye is taboo, and anyone doing it is enemy #1...  Further debates with people like that is pointless. To each his own. Respect and fish in peace.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #154 on: July 03, 2007, 01:19:09 AM »

Brainwashed?Clear water?Biting Sockeye?

Thats not at all what im talking about.
Im talking about willfully snagging fish with long leaders,including Chinook that are being targeted right now.
Disgracefull and certainly not fishing in my eyes.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #155 on: July 03, 2007, 01:12:52 PM »

In law and court judgment, the INTENT of an action is everything. It can mean the difference of staying in prison for life or being set free.  If DFO sets the legal codes governing what they consider is snagging and yet does not prosecute anyone flossing, then (I guess, as I am not their spokesman  ;D) they must intend to define snagging as AN INTENT to hook fish in any part of the body other than the mouth. In which case, flossing does not qualify, because the intent of flossing is to target the mouth of a fish.

In fact in any sockeye bars, the incident of hooking a fish by other body parts is a rare thing. Flossing does not foul hook fish as much as float fishing or flyfishing in places of high fish concentration. During the pink season, floaters and flyfishers can snag into a fish almost every other pass. You don't see that in flossing with that kind of frequency. So in term of causing harm to a fish by accidental snagging into a fish, flossing is less than other methods. Does this mean we should ban floating & flyfishing during pink season?  ;)

Considering fish are caught in many other ways all over the world including Canada (Oolichans & smelts are netted or scooped, eels & lobsters in the Eastern shore are trapped, etc), the fanatic insistence that fish has to be biting in order to be harvested is a narrow point of view. It is a product of a well-fed society of the West. The starving people of the world can look at the affluent & well fed Canadians who turn their back on this God given (or nature, if you are atheist) bounty of the sea, because of a narrow vision about fishing, and weep. They will probably ask Heaven why so unfair. Why shouldn't they? You want to trade places with them? Count your blessings men. If the bears, the eagles, the natives and what have u are benefiting from this bounty, why not the average joes? Should the bears claw, bite or crush the fish with their body? Should the eagles claw, beak or plunge to catch a fish? Which way is more acceptable? The average joes are already down to one rod, one barbless hook, and limited days or time to catch a fish, what else you need to strip of him to make him fishless?

This bounty should be regulated and preserved by careful stock management. But when DFO gives the legal opening after stock conservation quota is met, why abstain?  I would rather catch the fish & give it to needy person, such as a widow or senior.  :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 02:54:48 PM by liketofish »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #156 on: July 03, 2007, 01:48:44 PM »

Where did you come up with that liketofish? Did you do a survey on how many fish are snagged by the various methods? I am just curious as how you concluded that flossing actually snags fish ( on the body ) less often than other methods. I have never snagged a fish floatfishing or fly fishing. I have snagged a few chums with spoons by accident where they were so thick it was hard not too. Other than that I have never snagged a fish.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #157 on: July 03, 2007, 02:19:58 PM »

Just got a note from FOC this afternoon compliance with the selective fishing method (NO BB) not too bad in most area's but the Scale Bar is causing concern. The note adds spot closure or complete salmon closure is a possibility so lets not let this happen.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #158 on: July 03, 2007, 02:37:05 PM »

A question...

For those of you who think stationary bar fishing is boring, why don't you float fish for springs?

I bet that would be fun, they'd really rip that float down!

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #159 on: July 03, 2007, 02:46:12 PM »

It does not take a rocket scientist to observe that during the pink run in the Vedder. Flyfishermen targeting coho repeatedly snag into pinks in the body parts. Float fishing not snagging fish? Common, go over Tamahi during Oct/Nov. Poor fish snagged on fins, belly, eyes what have u and have to fight heavy currents. Those scenes make PETA a viable org. Congrats. You obviously have achieved sainthood in fishing by never snagging into a fish unintentionally.  ;D

Even short floating snags fish in places of high concentration. Try to short float for a coho among the chum schools in Chehalis. So should we shut all these methods down? Cheer.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 02:48:12 PM by liketofish »

liketofish

• Old Timer
Guess why DFO does not ticket flossers?
« Reply #160 on: July 03, 2007, 02:59:08 PM »

In law and court judgment, the INTENT of an action is everything. It can mean the difference of staying in prison for life or being set free.  If DFO sets the legal codes governing what they consider is snagging and yet does not prosecute anyone flossing, then (I guess, as I am not their spokesman  ) they must intend to define snagging as AN INTENT to hook fish in any part of the body other than the mouth. In which case, flossing does not qualify, because the intent of flossing is to target the mouth of a fish.

In fact in any sockeye bars, the incident of hooking a fish by other body parts is a rare thing. Flossing does not foul hook fish as much as float fishing or flyfishing in places of high fish concentration. During the pink season, floaters and flyfishers can snag into a fish almost every other pass. You don't see that in flossing with that kind of frequency. So in term of causing harm to a fish by accidental snagging into a fish, flossing is less than other methods. Does this mean we should ban floating & flyfishing during pink season? 

Considering fish are caught in many other ways all over the world including Canada (Oolichans & smelts are netted or scooped, eels & lobsters in the Eastern shore are trapped, etc), the fanatic insistence that fish has to be biting in order to be harvested is a narrow point of view. It is a product of a well-fed society of the West. The starving people of the world can look at the affluent & well fed Canadians who turn their back on this God given (or nature, if you are atheist) bounty of the sea, because of a narrow vision about fishing, and weep. They will probably ask Heaven why so unfair. Why shouldn't they? You want to trade places with them? Count your blessings men. If the bears, the eagles, the natives and what have u are benefiting from this bounty, why not the average joes? Should the bears claw, bite or crush the fish with their body? Should the eagles claw, beak or plunge to catch a fish? Which way is more acceptable? The average joes are already down to one rod, one barbless hook, and limited days or time to catch a fish, what else you need to strip of him to make him fishless?

This bounty should be regulated and preserved by careful stock management. But when DFO gives the legal opening after stock conservation quota is met, why abstain if DFO does not consider flossing as snagging which they sure prosecute?  I would rather catch the fish & give it to needy person, such as a widow or senior.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #161 on: July 03, 2007, 03:20:29 PM »

The reason those guys are snagging salmon on hte Vedder is because their leaders are 9 feet long and they are RIPPING. If they were to actually "short float" with a 1-2 foot leader they would not be snagging fish. Also the ripping is a big factor on the Vedder, they feel anything out of the ordinary and they RIP RIP RIP!! Thats not short floating.

As far as fly fishing the rivers for salmon I use about a 2-3 foot leader. Thats all that is needed.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #162 on: July 03, 2007, 03:20:41 PM »

It does not take a rocket scientist to observe that during the pink run in the Vedder. Flyfishermen targeting coho repeatedly snag into pinks in the body parts. Float fishing not snagging fish? Common, go over Tamahi during Oct/Nov. Poor fish snagged on fins, belly, eyes what have u and have to fight heavy currents. Those scenes make PETA a viable org. Congrats. You obviously have achieved sainthood in fishing by never snagging into a fish unintentionally.  ;D

Even short floating snags fish in places of high concentration. Try to short float for a coho among the chum schools in Chehalis. So should we shut all these methods down? Cheer.  ;D

Many of the so called float fishers are simply lining the fish in Tamihi Rapids, I've seen it. Lining is another more polite term for flossing.

And there is not one single method that could be used to get through the carpet of chums late season on the chehalis below the hatchery without snagging chum...

That was a poor example in my opinion, it's not possible to even fish for the one coho that may exist... Trust me I've tried.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #163 on: July 03, 2007, 03:21:33 PM »

The reason those guys are snagging salmon on hte Vedder is because their leaders are 9 feet long and they are RIPPING. If they were to actually "short float" with a 1-2 foot leader they would not be snagging fish. Also the ripping is a big factor on the Vedder, they feel anything out of the ordinary and they RIP RIP RIP!! Thats not short floating.

Yup, that is ripping is snagging.... 100%!

Short floating should be done with no resistance on the float, it should dead drift with the current, with the odd repositioning of the float to keep it trucking in the current...

:)
Nicole

-Garrett Hardin

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #164 on: July 03, 2007, 03:26:53 PM »

It does not take a rocket scientist to observe that during the pink run in the Vedder. Flyfishermen targeting coho repeatedly snag into pinks in the body parts.

It's fairly easy to avoid the pinks while fishing coho, I didn't snag one single pink last opening...

But I know how to avoid the foul hooking by fishing certain water types, others don't.

Cheers,
Nicole

-Garrett Hardin