Sporting
- 20 (29%)
Harvest for any species of salmon
- 5 (7.2%)
Snagging
- 19 (27.5%)
Harvest but only for Sockeye
- 17 (24.6%)
Dont care I'll do what ever is in the regs that gives me the best chance to catch a fish regardless if it bites or not.
- 8 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: 2007 Fraser River selective fishing method request notice  (Read 61177 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: 2007 Fraser River selective fishing method request notice
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2007, 06:19:32 PM »

Select a legal method that you enjoy and go fishing. If a Sockeye is caught when they are closed - release it unharmed. Why is this so difficult?

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2007, 06:21:48 PM »

Right on, BS. People think bouncing for springs does not take skill because they probably have never done it before. In any given bar you will find some bouncers having much more hook ups than anybody else consistently. There is the secret but not many good rods are willing to talk about it because they don't want all the haters to jump on them.  >:(

nosey

« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2007, 06:46:08 PM »

Everyone is starting to miss the boat here what this is all about is the fisheries making a request that people voluntarily refrain from using methods that target sockeye, which as everyone should know is bottom bouncing, people do not target sockeye bar fishing it is just too ineffective a method to bother and it is also too ineffective to have any negative impact on the fishery, nobody targets sockeye bar fishing the is an indisputable fact. They have stated that if this directive is not adhered to they will close the river for everyone for salmon fishing. So if you people don't understand this it means if enough  of you keep bottom bouncing for in the river while the Stuarts are there you will be responsible for getting the whole river closed. How selfish can you be to think that you have the right to interfere with the whole salmon fishery just so you can get a few extra weeks of fishing by your method in. Do you people realize the amount of work and dedication that so many people have put in to get the river open to sports fishing and keep it that way. Lets not quibble over wording here when the fisheries says methods that target sockeye everyone knows what they are talking about, nobody is that stupid, the fisheries know what they are talking about, do they have to close the river for everyone before you believe them, please before you go out bouncing think of your fellow fishermen because I'm sure if the river gets closed they'll be thinking of you.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2007, 06:57:32 PM »

Don't use the line that you only do it in Sockeye season.  You can't have your cake and eat it to...  If you are so opposed to it, then why do you do it? 

Ummm, I do believe that you yourself have made comments on how flossing does not belong on rivers other than the fraser. SO, if you are opposed to Flossing on small rivers, then why do you do it on big rivers.

Don't take that comment personally, i'm just using you as an example. Everyone needs to step back and look at the situation and what they are saying from as objective and unbiased position they can. Really it does not matter whether your Flossing the fish or "Enticing them to bite". The truth is we all love to fish. And unless you realize that what you need to be fighting about is the protection of those so highly regarded fish, we will all be telling our grandchildren of days past when the rivers used to have salmon that migrated to them.

Stop the holier than thou crap and move on to the real issue.

(Edit) I'll also add: Everyone knows what the DFO notice is asking of the recreational sector. DO NOT BOTTOM BOUNCE. Yes the wording may be left to interpretation, so it is likely that you would not get ticketed if you were caught. However please realize that your actions will effect those who are abiding by the request.  Don't be selfish.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 07:06:44 PM by DionJL »

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2007, 07:40:24 PM »

Nicole, I am a bit surprised at you so loudly opposing Bouncing as you do it yourself.  Don't use the line that you only do it in Sockeye season.  You can't have your cake and eat it to...  If you are so opposed to it, then why do you do it? 

I'm opposed to using 20 feet of leader to do so... You don't need more than 2 feet to present the bait...

Cheers,
Nicole

Are we done yet?
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2007, 08:07:36 PM »

:-*
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 08:11:09 PM by Rodney »

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2007, 09:00:06 PM »

Hehe, this one never really changes year to year does it? It will come down to strict regulations and closures even though more and more are seeing this snaggery for what it is. Mark my words on that.

But it is interesting to discuss it. I might go out on a limb to say that an increased level of respect is being shown on both sides. Two years ago, I dont think we could have made it to page 3 without a lot of ugly words and hurt feelings being traded.  ;D

One last(?) thought.

Why is snagging, as defined in the regulations, illegal? Ask yourself that.

This 'bottom bouncing' or 'flossing' is clearly a snagging act. The intention for snagging is there or efforts to increase the chance to 'hook/snag' a fish wouldnt be made (ie leaders growing in length on a yearly basis, when I did it, 6' was considered LONG)

So why is there surprise that something that was once illegal for good reason but is now 'legal' is causing all the problems and concerns that are being shared here? Just because someone has figured out a way to snag but not get in trouble for doing it, does it change the fact that you are STILL snagging? Not at all.

Kudo's to big steel for his efforts to clean the river. While no one can take that away from him, it makes no difference to the issue at hand here. If I used a big treble hook to snag steelhead, but took a bag of garbage out with me, would that make everything ok in the end?

Also, in my opinion, it makes no difference what goes on in the US or across the world in regards to 'fishing'. That's apples to oranges.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2007, 09:19:57 PM »

Kudo's to big steel for his efforts to clean the river. While no one can take that away from him, it makes no difference to the issue at hand here. If I used a big treble hook to snag steelhead, but took a bag of garbage out with me, would that make everything ok in the end?

It is a huge difference as a treble hook is defined as illegal and bouncing is not. Maybe read the regs.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2007, 09:42:34 PM »

All the sockeye you got last year, were on a 2ft leader ??

All two of them were flossed on 10 feet of leader...

That is the sockeye flossery though, and nothing to be proud of that's for sure.

Sockeye don't bite. But springs do, they can be caught sportingly, and they should be.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2007, 09:46:50 PM »

If you guys and gals could bottom bounce and there was a leader restriction of 24 inches, would you be okay with that? Its still not selective, but at least less area can be covered without intercepting fish.

How does the anti camp think, and is there any sense about what lawmakers think about it?

Cheers,
Nicole
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 09:49:13 PM by Nicole »

-Garrett Hardin

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2007, 10:26:23 PM »

One of the biggest achievements in all this could be to see that snagging with a treble hook or a hook on the end of a 20' leader is the exact same thing. Both are snagging and both carry the same burdens and dangers that accompany one of the biggest no-no's in sport angling. This is regardless if regulations have the ability to cover all ways to perform the same activity. I, personally, think it's pretty silly to rely ONLY on the "oh, but it's legal" without thinking for one's self (or telling me WHY snagging is defined as illegal in the regulations) ;D.

Fishfreak, ever heard of the "if someone jumped off a cliff..." saying?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2007, 10:34:56 PM »

Quit preaching. Put your efforts to something more useful. No one is going to be convinced to stop flossing because of your OPINION. They will make the decision themselves. These debates are repeated nearly word for word every year. Why don't we all just put our opinions on the topic in our signature, that way everyone gets their words in, and we all know where everyone stands on the topic at all times. Then we can stop these pointless debates and focus our energy on something more productive. But as with my last post, this one will likely fall on deaf ears.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2007, 11:10:05 PM »

I believe when the 40 page document Sports Angling behavior on the Chilliwack Vedder River that a number of people have been working on for a few months with input from FOC and MOE and is made public in a few days you will see changes are comming.

Also the SFAC sub committee made up of anglers from all sides of the debate with more participation once again from FOC and MOE staff is working on another document. This group is charged with looking at fishing ethics on the Fraser River and will complete their work in a few months.

This forum as well as others will then see that what has been posted here was not a lot of people blowing smoke but dealing fairly and proactively with this topic. Many hours of work has gone into these two separate groups and I feel their time has not been wasted. It will be for you all to judge of course but more than just talk has been taking place I can assure you.

I am pleased with that fact.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2007, 11:35:07 PM »

Looking forward to seeing these proposals.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2007, 11:56:06 PM »

Looking forward to seeing these proposals.
Yes I am sure it will quelle this debate somewhat. How long until we start rolling, rolling, rolling right along  ;D ;D ;D once again.

Please do not say 2067. ;D ;D ;D
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13