Sporting
- 20 (29%)
Harvest for any species of salmon
- 5 (7.2%)
Snagging
- 19 (27.5%)
Harvest but only for Sockeye
- 17 (24.6%)
Dont care I'll do what ever is in the regs that gives me the best chance to catch a fish regardless if it bites or not.
- 8 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: 2007 Fraser River selective fishing method request notice  (Read 61135 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: 2007 Fraser River selective fishing method request notice
« Reply #135 on: July 02, 2007, 09:41:03 AM »

Their is allot of disrespect going on around here. Allot of people who have been involved in this sport for many years are being disrespected and I find it a shame. All because they think they know whats right. Sometimes you just need to open your eyes for the greater good.

I am sorry Brian but could you show us where the disrespect is. I have been following this debate from the beginning and I thought that it has been rather civil. I also have not seen any name calling ( except snagger at least it was not poacher) or people being called out except where they make baseless comments without the proof to back it up.

I think that Rod has done an excellent job in moderating this as we all know how passionate people get when defended their methods of fishing.

We should thank him for allowing this debate to go on so that people that want to go and fish can make an informed decision on which method they want to use. So thank you Rod.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #136 on: July 02, 2007, 09:43:57 AM »

Their is allot of disrespect going on around here. Allot of people who have been involved in this sport for many years are being disrespected and I find it a shame. All because they think they know whats right. Sometimes you just need to open your eyes for the greater good.

SO many poeple, SO many opinions

Not really. People like Chris have seen allot during their life. They have seen the stocks go from what was a great resource to what it is now. Sure the netting is a problem but its only a problem when they take it and sell the fish illegally. Taking the fish to use for their families and for ceremonial purposes is not the problem, as it is what they have been doing for generations. I look up to my elders, people who have been around for allot longer than I have. They have more experience and have seen allot more than I have. Instead of brushing off their comments its better to think about what they said and why they say it. They are not just trying to preach they are obviously doing it for good reason.

We as sportsfishermen have to be responsible for what we do. If we can all do what is for the greater good maybe we can than all try and change things on a bigger scale together. I know this well probably never happen but its what should happen.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Mike D.

« Reply #137 on: July 02, 2007, 09:45:51 AM »

CLOSE IT DOWN! I would reely like to see this, if people keep flossing. Just close it down, and than all of you spring flossers can have time to think about your actions. Or why doesn't DFO just say, no flossing permitted, use of tactical chinook techniques only.... ???

Bottom Line

Mike <"))))><

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #138 on: July 02, 2007, 10:27:21 AM »

Unfortunately, with the flossing technique making it's way into the Vedder for everything from Springs to Steelhead, I would rather see them shut-it down. Just another case of give someone and inch and they take a mile.

As far as BB comment on dis-respect, I would say there has been a fair bit towards the native bands. Before they get blamed for the all the problems you really have to step back and look at everyone involved, and the history of the country. Trust me they are not to blame, and there are some underlying rights deserved. Most of what I hear against the native nets sounds more like whining.

the bottom line is DFO has made a request, if you ethically bottom bounce, not floss. Then go ahead, if you floss and I happen by expect me to come to shore to have a chat, give bar fishing a shot it's more relaxing anyways.  ;)

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #139 on: July 02, 2007, 11:34:51 AM »

I would definately say it isn't unproductive. Last year, after the sockeye closure, I got over a dozen guy to stop BB once I talked to them, I handed out fisheries requests to probably 30 more. I would say that over half of them didn't know the request existed, several of them didn't even know that the fish weren't biting the hook. If you sit back and do nothing then you have no one to blame but yourself for the results. The only way thing that is having any impact on slowing the spread of Flossing is some self policing that is going on. Until fisheries does something more, than this is the only thing that can be done. That and setting up a sturgeon rod below the Flossers.

Unforetunately there is a whole group and generation of fisherman that are being brought u8p with the idea that it's ok to SNAG fish, because hey it got them in the mouth. There are more and more folks on the river with no fishing etiquette, they jump in on any spot they open, fish below you, have no manners, and floss fish. Although geared to more to flyfishing "The gillie" is a good book to learn some of the base rules of fishing etiquette.

When the sockeye fishery really strted going crazy a few years back I didn't see a problem with harvesting them with flossing, unfortunately the monster that this created is spilling into other fisheries and that is the problem. If it could be contained to just the sockeyes and if folks were carefull with the release of by-catch then I don't know if it would bother me that much. But folks insist on dragging anything on the end of their line up the beach over the rocks only to be tossed back in, or occasionally kept beacuse of poor ID. I've seen guys keep Coho as sockeye, Kick Chum back down the beach, and stare blindly at a summer run steel tryuing to figure out if it's ok to keep while it lays on the rocks.

If we as fellow fisherman aren't willling to take steps are self to try and educate and inform people then do we just sit back and hope someone else can do it for us?

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #140 on: July 02, 2007, 11:56:54 AM »

Just cause some hit the mouth it's still snagging.

Mike D.

« Reply #141 on: July 02, 2007, 12:03:52 PM »

Just cause some hit the mouth it's still snagging.

according to you, not according to the synopsis

Its worded , word for word in the rule book, what more is there to say

Maybe its time for a new book?

New generation of fisherman = new book (in my mind)....anyone else?

Mike <"))))><

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2007, 12:09:57 PM »

I should have noted that the SFAC notice was put together with input from FOC, MOE staff as well as angler and guide representatives at a series of meetings and corresponding.
Apologies for not posting that. :-[

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #143 on: July 02, 2007, 02:32:49 PM »

FishFreak, so I know if you're just bored and stirring the pot, or if you are becoming the advocate for snaggers, do you floss fish? If so just for sockeye during openings? Or whenever you feel like it?

Run through and use the Loophole all you want, snagging is snagging, no matter where the hook sinks in.

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #144 on: July 02, 2007, 02:45:17 PM »

Ok, first read the email I sent you. Second, if you knew it was me why didn't you come say Hi. And why when I asked BigSteel did he say that only one of you was flossing. I didn't hit the river this morning, I will be flyfishing up top when they get there, you feel free to come by and see how the fly is presented then make your argument.

And as far as the other methods conversation went, it was beacuse my buddy prefers to fish staright out the back of the boat in slow moving water with bar rigs, where as I prefer faster water fished from shore while bar fishing. Get your facts straight, and smarten up, you should be old enough to know right from wrong.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #145 on: July 02, 2007, 02:57:51 PM »

:-*
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 08:12:45 PM by Rodney »

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2007, 03:10:41 PM »

If they ban bb'ing then I am switching to fly-fishing with the biggest and and heaviest hook I can find for the current water conditions. This way I can get into the 'target zone'. Fly-fishing is ethical, right?

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #147 on: July 02, 2007, 04:48:10 PM »

Can't say that I am surprised with the numbers from the poll so far.  24 to 9 in favor of people that don't have a real problem with flossing/ BB'ing or whatever you want to label it as.
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

MADFISH

« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2007, 06:36:26 PM »

Hi Chris and other antibbers,
let's face it. This salmon fishery(probebly the last one on earth) is going to disappear no matter what you do.
Have you not heard last year three natives illegally killed 300,000 salmon in a single year? How many did the commercial fleet get?
Have you seen people in other parts of the world using explosives and electricity to kill fish? Bottom Bouncing is noting compare to those methods.
Plus The best bbers are the fishing guides. And they are teaching people bbing everyday. I was taught by "the Master" three years ago.
For the past 3 years, I've seen thousands of bbers. But how many bar fisher? This highly effective method speaks for itself, people will just use it.
I love bbing!!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2007, 06:58:25 PM »

Hi Chris and other antibbers,
let's face it. This salmon fishery(probebly the last one on earth) is going to disappear no matter what you do.
Have you not heard last year three natives illegally killed 300,000 salmon in a single year? How many did the commercial fleet get?
Have you seen people in other parts of the world using explosives and electricity to kill fish? Bottom Bouncing is noting compare to those methods.
Plus The best bbers are the fishing guides. And they are teaching people bbing everyday. I was taught by "the Master" three years ago.
For the past 3 years, I've seen thousands of bbers. But how many bar fisher? This highly effective method speaks for itself, people will just use it.
I love bbing!!!
I believe he is changing just like I did and many others did, have and will. Many are seeing what it is doing to our recreational fishery. One must remind themselves most of usll did it at one time or another and we did not do it as a method to catch chinook.

I will not comment on your other points as I believe I have addressed them many times before in one form or another. I will continue to work at saving our salmon and the environment the best I can. Many other will as well. I am moving close to hijacking this thread with the next two sentences.

Read the article by Mark Hume in today's Globe and Mail for some interesting statements on our salmon. I imagine some of our computer experts will find it and start a new thread with its posting.

O, I am glad I beat you at badminton, ;D ;D ;D you should come out when you have your new business up and running, glad to see you posting. ;D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 05:06:02 AM by chris gadsden »