Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly fishing rod and reel  (Read 10934 times)

Piranha

Fly fishing rod and reel
« on: July 04, 2007, 11:59:43 PM »

What is the best brand fly fishing rod for around $100.
Also I'm looking to buy a reel and all I want to spend is around $50 for the reel. Anyone recommend a good brand?

One person already told me to  check out Dragonfly rods and reels. What do you guys recommend?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fly fishing rod and reel
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 12:05:23 AM »

Definitely look into Dragonfly, there are a couple of series that are affordable and they perform well as entry-level gear.

http://www.redlsports.com/dragonfly/

Piranha

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 12:17:43 AM »

What retiailer in lower mainland carries Dragonfly products?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 12:30:58 AM »

Take a look at the dealer list:

http://www.redlsports.com/dealers.html

They carry products by Redl Sports, Dragonfly is just one of the brands. It is best to phone them and check.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 08:02:28 AM »

What retiailer in lower mainland carries Dragonfly products?

Westcoast Tackle on Hastings (near Lakewood)

That's where I got my 5wt Dragonfly rod and reel.  I like 'em.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 10:04:25 AM »

Hi guys,
Should every fly reel have the ability to be converted for use for either left-handed or right-handed folks?
I am looking at getting a fly rod and reel and I've never fly fished before.
Wonder if it just reversing the way it's attached to the rod. Can it be that simple?
Thanks

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 10:20:57 AM »

Usually it is very easy, but not quite that easy ;) It would take flipping the little triangles on a click/Pawl, or flipping the bearing on a disc drag, now those are very general descriptions, and every reel has it's own little releases and tricks.

Keep in mind not all reels can be reversed

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 10:24:27 AM »

I was forgot to add, Dragonfly rods are fairly good, not my personal favourite. There is also TFO rods, no tube and stiffer. The one that I also like for around $150 is the echo series I rods. They have good action, come with a nice tube and are a 4 piece rod.

As for reels on trout rods, it not reel important to pend a ton as it mainly just stores the line, I end up stripping in most my fish. Just find one that has good tolerances and a smooth drag if equipped ;D

Piranha

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 07:27:24 AM »

so the reel # has to match the rod weight #? The setup i bought came with #7/8 reel and #5 rod. problem? Difficult casting?
Yesterday I bought Dragonfly "Cartridge" #5/6 so now it matches the rod #.  easier casting now that the number of the rod and reel match?

Also with the #5/6 reel and #5 rod can I use it to catch Coho in the Cap? The Coho are from 1-4 lbs so i thinking I should be fine with that setup?

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 08:00:16 AM »

The reel numbers are more for a guidline as to how much line they are meant to hold of what weight. Other than balancing the rod it doesn't change casting a whole lot. As far as Coho on a 5wt I would have said no, but if you are really targeting 4 lbs fish then it's more than enough, that number just seems really small ???

I use an 8wt for coho and steelhead out here.

slurpie

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 10:17:30 PM »

Any suggestions as to the best fly reel to match an 8wt sage xp for salmon/steelhead?  < $100, <$200, < $300?

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 07:45:31 AM »

Sage XP is pretty high end. One would expect you could afford an Islander reel to go with it  :D
For my 8 weight I bought a Pfleuger Trion 1910 for roughly $85 off ebay. It is considered a mid arbor reel, so you generally need to go one size larger to increase backing capacity. It is a machined aluminum reel with a tight feel and a decent drag. I haven't had a season hammering Chums so I can't say how it will hold up, but from others I've talked to it should be alright.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 12:22:43 PM »

Hey slurpie I have a dragonfly kamloops "MC" reel with 3 spools (yes, 3)  that I can part with.  Its brand new, got it on warranty. (2 spools are used).  If youre interested email me, I'll give you a smokin deal.  Its a decent reel too, the new ones are "harder" than the first gen ones. 

I'd stick with dragonfy for the cheaper stuff...my experience with them, warranty wise, was second to none!  Good product for the money.

My brother uses a Trion, no problems.  Last year I picked up a lamson for my 8.....I must say it was a welcome upgrade, they make a slick reel.

chironomidking

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 08:23:36 AM »

Slurpie.  I use Okuma Integrity series reels on all my Sage XP rods.  I have three 6 wts for stillwater and an 8 wt for salmon.  I love the reel and find it holds up well, smooth drag and stores the right amount of backing.  Good price at under $100.  Bought mine  through ebay for $40 USD a couple years ago and extra spools locally for around $40.

slurpie

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 10:28:43 PM »

I have an Islander but don't really want to use it for salt water surf casting.  I know that it is supposed to be a saltwater capable reel but I'm still looking for a cheaper alternative along with a saltwater line.   Hmm... I'll investigate the Okuma.  Any other opinions?  Perhaps something with a silent retrieve?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 10:30:19 PM by slurpie »