Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: 2007 Fraser River selective fishing method request 2 - No Bottom Bouncing  (Read 44621 times)

Nuggy

Ok Rick, so you didn`t specify First Nations nets, but thanks for NOT clarifying what you meant when you replied to me. You really seem to be pi$$ed or you are just having fun arguing.

This thread was started to inform people of the number of flosser/snaggers that were not complying with the DFO special request. These people not complying have know jeopardized the rest of us who want an opportunity at fishing this portion of the Fraser River at this time of the year.

If I am poor and hungry I will use any means I can to catch a fish and feed my family. I am not poor and hungry and I can buy fish at my supermarket for a cheap price. If you want to harvest fish why not just go get a set net our some dynamite. Why would you be so inefficient as to waste a whole day of your time, gas and fishing equipment cost to harvest your fish slowly one at a time throughout the day and season?

Cheers

Nuggy

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!

Just stating a view of what I have noticed Gord.  No reason to start flingin.....

And I shared the same (different view, same generous sharing tho).  ;)

I see we're stuck on the pointing fingers game and ignoring my clear statement that I also share a deep concern with net overfishing but dont think it should be used to justify snagging.

I wouldnt continue to hide behind the nets and poachers guys. Carpet's going to get yanked right out from underneath you! The nets will remain but sport angling...who knows. They wouldnt be considering angling closure in the Fraser if it wasnt for the snagging and that's just going to be the beginning. Sure, there's logic in the net's abuse of the river; I dont argue with that statement at all. But it does not tie in AT ALL with sport anglers snagging fish unless you're looking for a scapegoat which logically, seems to be pretty much the case to me.  ;)
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

• Old Timer

Why would you be so inefficient as to waste a whole day of your time, gas and fishing equipment cost to harvest your fish slowly one at a time throughout the day and season?

Cheers

Nuggy

Because its 'legal' and the easiest way to catch a fish. Dynamite and nets are not legal. Im not saying anyone here would do this, with exception to like to fish perhaps ;D , but if there was a way to expolit a law which would allow the use of dynamite or a net to get fish, MANY would do it. And, we'd see the same arguement...

"My 5 sticks of dynamite do NOTHING compared to big drift nets who take up 38% of the total run when I only take 5%...and Im using 6 inch sticks that when tossed in certain water, I only get springs..."  ;D :D ;D

Can you see it? I sure can!

Oh, around and around we go. Where does it stop? Nobody knows!  :D :D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 09:13:20 AM by 2:40 »

Athezone

• Old Timer

Have fun everyone with your petty arguing back and forth, I'm off to have a fabulously fun time bbing for some springs and enjoying the company of my friends. Don't bother asking for pics as they'll go up on the wall where all the other beautiful fish pics are. Any one with a brain can see where the real problem lies and its not with a small group of bbers. Shutting down one group to suit your own purpose will not solve the solution but alas,  I am sure you know whats best. I'll not argue and will be on my Merry way and leave the bickering to those who know everything. One reason why I rarely post on this site. Have a great day everyone, I know we will. :D

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics

Ok Rick, so you didn`t specify First Nations nets, but thanks for NOT clarifying what you meant when you replied to me. You really seem to be pi$$ed or you are just having fun arguing.

This thread was started to inform people of the number of flosser/snaggers that were not complying with the DFO special request. These people not complying have know jeopardized the rest of us who want an opportunity at fishing this portion of the Fraser River at this time of the year.

If I am poor and hungry I will use any means I can to catch a fish and feed my family. I am not poor and hungry and I can buy fish at my supermarket for a cheap price. If you want to harvest fish why not just go get a set net our some dynamite. Why would you be so inefficient as to waste a whole day of your time, gas and fishing equipment cost to harvest your fish slowly one at a time throughout the day and season?

Cheers

Nuggy

I was a lil po'd because the way you wrote you're reply made me sound like I am racist towards First Nations... this is not the case and I wanted to clarify that....

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding

I'm off to have a fabulously fun time bbing for some springs and enjoying the company of my friends. Don't bother asking for pics as they'll go up on the wall where all the other beautiful fish pics are. Any one with a brain can see where the real problem lies and its not with a small group of bbers. Shutting down one group to suit your own purpose will not solve the solution but alas,  I am sure you know whats best. I'll not argue and will be on my Merry way and leave the bickering to those who know everything. One reason why I rarely post on this site. Have a great day everyone, I know we will. :D

A perfect example of the problem ::)

Nuggy

Cheers

Nuggy

I was a lil po'd because the way you wrote you're reply made me sound like I am racist towards First Nations... this is not the case and I wanted to clarify that....

My apologies to you Rick, it wasn`t my intention to portray you as a racist towards First Nations in any way shape or form.

On that note I think I`m gonna have to bow out of some threads here.

Cheers
Dave

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

After reading so many posts from the anti gang, it is begining to dawn on me their tactics - ignore all the points  from the bbers because they don't have good enough countering points except repeating the offensive term 'snagging' or 'snaggers' a million time. This is the same strategy used by PETA to shame people who fish, and do it enough time that it is beginning to have a brain-washing effect. They are now targeting kids, the young & uninformed about the cruelty of fishing by shaming them. No difference here in strategy. All these extreme idealogy views is really about the stonger minds imposing their views on the weaker, less-informed, or less-educated masses by repeated propaganda from influential authoratative honchos. Why not let people choose their methods of fishing allowed by DFO and every one fish in peace?  After you push your points of argument, people can make their own decision to follow or not. But to add more pressure by the use of shaming, labelling or name-calling strategy repeatedly is totally uncalled for in a free society. Their relentless lobby for exclusion of the majority of fishers unless you bend to their way is totally undemocratic. That bar-fishing requires a boat in order to have a meaningful spot to fish amounts to further exclusion even for their converts. All that hazzle & disputes for the 2%?.

Their narrow definition of snagging is not even supported by DFO's own action.  Liketofish's earlier post stating that the intent of flossing, by targeting the mouth, makes it clear that flossing is not snagging according to DFO's rule and that is why no one is ticketed. When they fail to explain DFO's acceptance of flossing, they summarily brush it off as 'us hiding behind DFO or legality'. I think perpetuating this thread only serve their purpose of repetition of their shaming strategy. They are not interested in genuine argument, but repeated shaming and defamification by labelling and name-calling. Even lies or untruths repeated 100 times will convert some believers. Winning points with this approach is a real shame. What a shameful strategy to do it to your fellow fishermen who only harvest the meager 2%. They paid high cost for fishing and sweat for their fish to bless their family, and still get hammered by people who holds extreme and narrow view about how fishing should be. Pathetic.

I am off this thread now, like Athezone, to stop this insanity. Fish in peace guys - but I am beginning to think many anti guys just fish in front of the screen. Why? Because there is not even one fishing report by the anti-gang on their 'legitimate' spring catches. Is their method really that ineffective or just some don't fish at all but pretending they do?   ;D

My apology if my last post on this thread offend some of you in the anti camp, but considering the offensive shaming terms thrown at us through out this thread, it is peanut in return.  :) If the anti camp thinks that their view deserves more respect because of their years of experiences, then show some class. Stay away from the shaming strategy and debate the points with respect. If you have no anwer to some points, say so respectfully without mentioning the 'snag' words non-stop.

Cheer and good fishing.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 01:15:34 PM by Steelhawk »

Nuggy

After reading so many posts from the anti gang, it is begining to dawn on me their tactics - ignore all the points  from the bbers because they don't have good enough countering points except repeating the offensive term 'snagging' or 'snaggers' a million time. This is the same strategy used by PETA to shame people who fish, and do it enough time that it is beginning to have a brain-washing effect. They are now targeting kids, the young & uninformed about the cruelty of fishing by shaming them. No difference here in strategy.

Their narrow definition of snagging is not even supported by DFO's own action.  Liketofish's earlier post stating that the intent of flossing, by targeting the mouth, makes it clear that flossing is not snagging according to DFO's rule and that is why no one is ticketed. When they fail to explain DFO's acceptance of flossing, they summarily brush it off as 'us hiding behind DFO or legality'. I think perpetuating this thread only serve their purpose of repetition of their shaming strategy. They are not interested in genuine argument, but repeated shaming and defamification by labelling and name-calling. Winning points with this approach is a real shame. What a shameful strategy to do it to your fellow fishermen who only harvest the meager 2%. They paid high cost for fishing and sweat for their fish to bless their family, and still get hammered by people who holds extreme and narrow view about how fishing should be. Pathetic.

I am off this thread now, like Athezone, to stop this insanity. Fish in peace guys - but I am beginning to think many anti guys just fish in front of the screen. Why? Because there is not even one fishing report by the anti-gang on their 'legitimate' spring catches. Is their method really that ineffective or just some don't fish at all but pretending they do?   ;D

Steelhawk, the Anti Gang as you call them have a combined angling experience of probably hundreds of years. Many of the anti gang were the pioneers of a movement to open up retention for certain species of salmon for recreational anglers on the Fraser River. When I was young there was no retention of pinks, sockeye or chum in non tidal Fraser River and maybe even chinook closures. It is thanks to these folks who you think are piling up against you that you have an opportunity to retain any salmon at all in the non tidal Fraser River. I think you may be the one Steelhawk who reads the threads a little closer and learn your history a little better.

As for reports on chinook catches and what not....I don`t file reports any more for my own reasons.

Cheers

Nuggy

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!

I missed the day of class where they taught the part about fisherman having to be ethical. I thought the point of fishing was to catch a fish by any means legal. Don't other 'sports' have rules in place, yet some teams or individuals go to the edge of the ethical earth to help themselves or their team win. Look at the Anaheim Ducks style of play. They intimidate their opponents with a pugilistic style of hockey and seem to be doing pretty well when it comes to hoisting their salmon..........I mean cup. Other coaches in the league (let's call them elitist/anti fighters) complain and name call till their hearts content, while B. Burke tells them to cry him a river. Nothing in the rules states what they/we do is wrong/illegal so suck it up and enjoy your day on the water, and fish by whatever means you can within the letter of the LAW!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

I missed the day of class where they taught the part about fisherman having to be ethical. I thought the point of fishing was to catch a fish by any means legal. Don't other 'sports' have rules in place, yet some teams or individuals go to the edge of the ethical earth to help themselves or their team win. Look at the Anaheim Ducks style of play. They intimidate their opponents with a pugilistic style of hockey and seem to be doing pretty well when it comes to hoisting their salmon..........I mean cup. Other coaches in the league (let's call them elitist/anti fighters) complain and name call till their hearts content, while B. Burke tells them to cry him a river. Nothing in the rules states what they/we do is wrong/illegal so suck it up and enjoy your day on the water, and fish by whatever means you can within the letter of the LAW!

Sure that may be the point of fishing to some. To allot of us we consider fishing a sport. Flossing a fish is not a sport. Its hooking a fish that did not bite the presentation making it not sporting. Netting and flossing are even when it comes to sporting.

What makes me laugh is seeing those hero shots from people when they floss a big spring. Like they actually did something sporting to catch it.   ::)

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

same ol' topic, year after year...BORING AND WASTE OF TIME

don't drink and drive....don't speed.....don't do drugs....blah, blah, blah... do what you want and if you get caught doing something wrong...pay the piper...

For some of you 'over the top' conservatives, check the history of the lower mainland....bottom bouncing or jigging the bottom have been done since 1952....nothing new.  the difference now, the amount of people doing it.

until they change the legislation, this topic will never die.....just like the 'go green' movement.   it's personal choice. sad, but brutally true.

• Old Timer

HAHAH! Numerous good points made by pro-snaggers to which we ignore Steel Hawk???  :D :D :D (Sorry, but I did smile)

1) It's legal
2) The nets take more

That about all the points made to which many at least addressed if not shared some good thoughts in regards to them AND added many others.

Acceptance from DFO on this snagging??? Hmmm, I wonder why they've asked for SELECTIVE methods, noted that due to BOTTOM BOUNCERS (snaggers) they are not pleased with non-compliance and that they are considering river CLOSURE. This and the fact that the 'movement' towards regulating this snaggery is being fairly well recieved tells me otherwise. Wait a couple years as that's how long it takes to bring in gear restrictions. They wont waste their time trying to charge snaggers who 'target the mouth' because it's too hard to prove. But they will make it so it's harder to do it.

The only selectiveness Ive seen here is not the snagging ability but what some choose to read!

Blaydrnr, I find it good to share myself. Im not here thinking Im changing the ones who think otherwise. Im sharing my view and letting anyone who wants to make their own decision. You talking about bottom bouncing or snagging? (see the problem calling it what it isnt?) Bottom bouncing to get a BITE is an old tatic. You're right, the snagging bottom bouncing, while WRONG in my books, is a bigger problem as result of the numbers doing it. Why 1952 btw?

Athezone

• Old Timer

Well I'm back, my bro caught a 30LBer, and I caught a 24 LBer, and the ladies caught nothing but was a great time all around. Lots of springs caught, did'nt see one sockeye caught. Have fun everyone, we did. Its midnite and time to hit the hay, Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Always.

hotrod

Propagada tactics by the same people every year. :-\

Hotrod
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10