Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish July 15th  (Read 4474 times)

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
Re: Squamish July 15th
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 10:03:13 PM »

All of the Squamish system streams are running dirty and very high. The Mamquam is the closest to comming back in shape. No evidence of pinks in the system yet. Chinook jacks are open in all systems except the Cheakamus. Pinks will definitely not be open in the Cheakamus and it's likely not in the other systems as well unless run strength increases. I am running a chinook program in Howe Sound and also monitoring pink by-catch for fish management. To date have seen almost 0 pinks. Program has entered it's second week and I'm seeing only 1 - 2 pinks a day. In past years, I have captured lots of pinks by this time of the year so the lack of fish is just a bit disconcerting. Howe Sound is dirty but is starting to clean up and I don't know how this effects catch and migration patterns. Here's to hoping that there just a bit late.

hickman

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 09:00:52 AM »

Thanks for the insights.
I have not caught anything yet, but you know how word spreads...
Totally agree with the water levels. Last year at this time it looked quite different. I think, it would be good to leave the Pinks alone for this year at least.
The regulations say that the Cheakamus is open for Chinooks, I think.
I will venture out on the weekend for a day and report back....
hickman 8)

hickman

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 08:29:25 AM »

Brief update from the Mamquam:
Went out last night for a couple of hours. Quite a bit of jumping & rolling action after 8PM below the railway bridge. A few people fishing - nothing caught while I was there. People were fly fishing, casting and float fishing....
Fish around 5lb have been caught that day I was told...
It was definitely a few steps up from last week.
hickman 8)