Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ethics Fishing Article In Chilliwack Progress  (Read 25840 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Ethics Fishing Article In Chilliwack Progress
« on: July 27, 2007, 05:55:45 PM »

For those that may be interested there is an article in today's Chilliwack Progress titled "Anglers take on ethics debate. ;D ;D

For those that donot get the Chilliwack Progress I would think it should be up on the paper's web page in the next day or so.

Of course most of the regular readers of this subject will have a pretty good idea what the article will say as it comes from the Chilliwack River Watershed Strategy Committee report that was posted a couple of weeks ago on this web site. ;D ;D ;D

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Ethics Fishing Article In Chilliwack Progress
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 06:01:57 PM »

Are you trying to start another flossing debate?  ;)  What is holding our fishery back from banning this type of fishing? Is it because of the money our province would lose if we did end this style of fishing?
The Bigger The Better!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 06:16:56 PM »

Fishing's fishing.  A rod, line and hook.  Any method can catch any type of fish just the difference in frequency.
More important issue than fishing method: illegal netting/fishing, double dipping, not using proper release technique.

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 06:25:44 PM »

It was a good article. I do agree that double dipping is a real problem out here also, I know of a few good fishermen that on occasion have let greed convince them that it's ok during. Some still don't even know that they were spotted.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 06:27:43 PM »

Are you trying to start another flossing debate?  ;)  What is holding our fishery back from banning this type of fishing? Is it because of the money our province would lose if we did end this style of fishing?
Not at all, just making you aware of an article on this topic is now getting out to the general public.
There is no need to debate it on any forum as that has been done enough and there is nothing new that can be added.

This issue is now moving to another level. ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 07:02:08 PM »

A good article Chris, hopefully the move to another level happens quickly.

I believe MOE and FOC are seeing what this type of activity is creating and the hope is we donot see a sockeye opening this year, in 2008, 2009 and ever again. ;D

This will help bring things back to normal in the fishing fraternity.

Thanks to you, with your article, the fishing clinic you put on, it got the ball rolling.

Now the trick is to keep things rolling rolling, rolling right along  ;D ;D ;D. Gosh training camp is not that far away, to learn proper fishing techniques that is. ;D ;D ;D Now that is a low blow. ::) Sort of good to be back on the forum after another succesful fishing trip with 2 jacks springs and one nice adult, should write the journal. :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 07:26:58 PM »

Article was not posted Chilliwack Progress online. May send a scanned copy to Rodney if he wishes to post same.

Nuggy

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 07:39:50 PM »

Post it up ;)

Cheers
Nuggy

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 07:55:15 PM »

Hi Fisherforever,  your photobucket account is private.  So the link is no good, unless everyone can loging to your account.  :D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 12:40:50 AM by BwiBwi »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 09:13:25 PM »

Sent it to Rodney maybe he can make it work. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 09:15:28 PM »

Post it up ;)

Cheers
Nuggy
E - mailing it to you. ;D ;D

Nuggy

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 09:28:36 PM »

Post it up ;)

Cheers
Nuggy
E - mailing it to you. ;D ;D

Cool, Thanks Chris :)

Cheers
Nuggy

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 09:50:55 PM »

You know, I think the city of chilliwack can address this issue the same way that Grow Ops have been addressed...

Make certain infractions a bylaw in the city... 200.00 fine, and therefore no need for endless paperwork to write one ticket.

-Barbed hook use
-Snagging, lining, flossing
-Keeping a foul hooked fish
-Belly hunting
-Mishandling of fish to be released

We could each be hired by the city to write tickets. I'd happily take commisions off that!

Cheers,
-Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

glog

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 08:35:50 AM »

guess you guys just don't follow your own advice, once again.

Bottom bouncing is a perfectly legal technique to catch fish.  You try to squash the debate by saying lets not discuss it anymore as its pointless and low and behold you start it all over again.

Even mark peddleton uses bottom bouncing to catch fish.  Just watched a show from the indian river and guess what there's Mark showing you how to bottom bounce.

second. all these wild exaggeration give the idea that everyone but the elitist few is snagging and bonking illegal fish. Blowing everything way out of proportion to get their own agendas rammed down peoples throats.

Example

I have been to the limit hole 3 times the past week watching and fishing the opposite site (float fishing). I made following  notes.

1. last saturday I and 2 friends were there for 6 hours we saw 15 chinook hooked and 8 landed only one was in the top dorsal fin and it was released. 6 sockeye were hooked ALL released. There 4 fisherman using bottom bouncing spending a lot of time tying up. total fisherman seen 23.

2.  Last tuesday spent 3 hours went by myself, saw 9 chinook hooked, 5 landed NONE were foul hooked, but 3 of the ones lost were foul hooked (jumped and saw where wool was)
3 sockeye hooked and released 4 lost.  One was snagged in mid section (it jumped clear out of the water) rest couldn't tell. only 2 fisherman were bottom bouncing

3. went yesterday for for 4 hours, saw 3 chinnok hooked 2 landed 5 sockeye hooked 2 landed and released  saw no foul hooked fish. only 1 guy was bottom bouncing

So from my observations, I see foul hooked fish yes but they are mostly lost in the current, its very difficult to land a foul hooked fisjh in that water.  I have not seen anyone bonk and foul hooked fish or a sockeye ( all year).  Since these are some of the busiest times. I conclude that yes there are a few that snag and bonk fish, keep sockeye, but the MAJORITY of fisherman are doing the proper thing and its time that people stop blowing things out of proportion in order to get their own personal agenda's and crusades across. 

So as with all special interest groups they select the 1% that are doing illegal things and blow it up to sound like the whole world is doing it.

for example, If it does come to closing down the Vedder river to fishing , Anyone want to take a bet that the first thing these same guys do is get it open as a fly fishing river only!!

I for one are sick and tired of these special interest groups with their exaggerations and fear mongering, and its time that the balance is restored.

I suggest if you are really serious about preserving fish forget about the minority and go for the majority. The native nets are in the river, saw three set nets and two drift nets. 

Do you know how many fish these drift nets catch and you're concentrating on a couple of illegally bonked sockeye. give me a break.!!!  Get off your backsides and go after the real culprits that catch large amounts of sockeye  illegally. Where's all the indignation and protest about that.

buck

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 10:16:11 AM »

Glog, I've been observing the fishing techniques being used at the limits hole and downstream to below the cement slab and if you call that fishing your idea of what fishing is is quite different than mine. If you think that long line snagging is OK then have at it. If you think that these fish are not being snagged check the number of fish in the hatchery with hooks in them. Explain to me why the majority of anglers I observed are fishing with 10' of float depth in 4 -5' of water?  These fish will bite no question , and if fished using proper techniques  can be caught legally.