Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ethics Fishing Article In Chilliwack Progress  (Read 28410 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Ethics Fishing Article In Chilliwack Progress
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 10:53:28 AM »

Glog, I've been observing the fishing techniques being used at the limits hole and downstream to below the cement slab and if you call that fishing your idea of what fishing is is quite different than mine. If you think that long line snagging is OK then have at it. If you think that these fish are not being snagged check the number of fish in the hatchery with hooks in them. Explain to me why the majority of anglers I observed are fishing with 10' of float depth in 4 -5' of water?  These fish will bite no question , and if fished using proper techniques  can be caught legally.
Thanks buck, we are going to check that later toiday.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 11:28:50 AM »

To me fishing ethics debate doesn't do much to protect fish.
It's all about the oldest human trait of believing that everyone should do as they do.

Whether you floss them, use a shotgun to tear them to pieces, blow them up with dynamite, use rat poison to poison them,
the bottom line is this:

- We are all allowed to fish when we pay a license fee.
- We all have the same limits of the number of fish we are allowed to catch per day.

So a flosser may spend 1 hour to catch 2 fish because his technique is successful. Perhaps "unethical".
On the other hand a so called "ethical fisherman" will need to spend 5 hours to catch the 2 fish because his technique is less successful.
At the end of the day the tally is 4 fish by law for the 2 fisherman regardless of the method.
Time and method are irrelevant. 4 fish were plucked out of the water and they will not reproduce.
The DFO is outlawing certain methods of fishing because they believe it will help conserve fish.
But somehow fish stock are declining anyway.
Who cares if I use a bow and arrow or a spear to catch it.
Police should jail people for serious offences not slap them with tickets.
Who cares about a $200 fine, People will just make more money and budget $200 more a month for the fines.
The number of times they will catch the offenders is small, it will pay off in the end.

THE PROBLEM IS THERE ARE TOO MANY FISHERMEN AND TOO LITTLE FISH.

It's so easy to catch fish these days. So much knowledge going around, so many fishing guides, boats, fish finders and fish haven't learned space flight to be able to escape to the moon.
If you want to protect salmon, stop fishing it and do some research into how you can help raise enough fish to feed the demand while leaving the wild stock alone.
Obviously current fish farming is doing a lot of "collateral damage" but they are just trying to fill the demand.
They should find a better way to farm salmon and fishermen should be the first to help.
Animals that were domesticated for food during human evolution thrived better than those in the wild.

P.S.
(In no way do I promote the above mentioned methods of fishing or breaking the law and I have no affiliations to any fish related industry.
I am simply a concerned individual just as all of you are.)

buck

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 01:04:34 PM »

Adriaticum, what you said may be true, but at what point do you draw a line in the sand and stand up for the fish? If one is really concerned about the resource it had better be sooner than later or be prepared to take up golf. The one positive to all the long liners, snaggers or flossers is that these guys will be hard pressed to ever catch steelhead , especially during periods of higher flows. Oh and by the way I have seen ethical fishing methods out perform other methods that have been mentioned.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 03:56:36 PM »

The usual banter again. I realized some people on here are political hacks. Who are silently (haha) promoting there political parties latest boon doggling of the fishing resource. Molruney started the race base fishing and sat while the cod stocks back east disappeared. Harper tries to keep the vote of some of his followers by addressing the native fishery. Some on here see closing the Sockeye to recreational angling as the answer to this concern somehow. In the past the natives and the commies kept complaining of recs getting there minor amount of fish, while they devastate the resource with nets. I guess thats the outcome of misguided people playing politics with everyones resource. Then no one buys licenses and the government puts even less money into protecting whats left. While the poachers and netters finish off the last of the stock. Too bad really and don't say it hasn't or isn't happening now. Give yourself a big pat on the back. Not trying to start another debate just pointing out what some people try to hide.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 06:55:31 PM »

Good posts Buck. Guys will try and deflect and whitewash. The fact remains that angling is turning ugly and its true meaning is being lost among greed, stubborness and the general twisting of sport angling.

Nicole, Id do it for free!! :)

I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2007, 07:25:42 PM »

Not sure why it's distorted on here. I put it up on another forum and it showed at full scale.  ???

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2007, 08:22:24 PM »

FWR has a picture size limit.  If the pic is to big, it automatically resizes the pic down to the maximun allowable size. ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2007, 08:26:41 PM »

Oh, makes sense, thanks DMW  8)

I've provided a link to full size.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2007, 08:29:03 PM »

Oh, makes sense, thanks DMW  8)

I've provided a link to full size.

No problem, and great idea in giving a link to a site where eveyone can see how far out there some people really are about this topic!! ;D ;)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 09:11:39 PM by DMW »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2007, 08:47:17 PM »

;) :-* ;) :-* ;) :-*

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2007, 10:03:20 PM »

put the hold on the ethics thing. something needs to be done NOW to fix that maple leaf thing in the pic :D
oh and are they actually drifting or just holding their rods and looking uber cool ;D
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2007, 10:16:33 PM »

put the hold on the ethics thing. something needs to be done NOW to fix that maple leaf thing in the pic :D
oh and are they actually drifting or just holding their rods and looking uber cool ;D
;D ;D ;D

glog

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2007, 08:25:01 AM »

Now its long line fishing with floats that is a problem. I thought it was bottom bouncing.   Next it will be all methods accept fly fishing.

As for the fish in the hatchery with hooks in them, of course I've seen them also seen lots of chum and coho in fall with flys in them.  I've collected many flys from chum in the fall to add to my collection. The good news is the fish survived to get to the hatchery. and this confirms my point earlier that nearly all the snagged chinook I've seen, rarely make it to shore due to their size and the fast water, and when they do most are released back into the water.

Snagging occurs both deliberate and accidental, the main beef I have is that the illegal activities such as keeping snagged salmon are totally blown out of proportion by the guys with the special agendas. The numbers of illegally snagged fish that are kept are minimal when compared to those that are landed and hooked in the mouth. its the same with the chinook and sockeye on the Fraser.  The minority of illegal fishing actions is been blown out of proportion in order to creat sensationalism and force special interest groups agendas on the majority.

By the way I don't see the same outrage about the nets in the fraser, south side of scales bar on saturday there were two set nets left overnight. If the sockeye are so endangered why is this allowed.  One of the nets was brought in and I saw 11 sockeye landed which is more sockeye that I've seen caught AND RELEASED by the infamous bottom bouncers.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2007, 08:52:16 AM »

I think it is pretty sad when a few noisy "Elitists" can have many unproved " Heresays" published in a newspaper, Bashing a type of fishing that is not illegal !!! promoting a type of fishing that they happen to enjoy !!  ::) using the scare tactic that the recreational fisherman is having a devastating effect on fish numbers when we all know that is not the case !!

pretty scary if you ask me !!!!

TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2007, 09:37:04 AM »

Whats with the picture of those 3 guy's hogging that spot 8) Shouldn't they rotate.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?