Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does one fish a zinger or a buzz bomb? I've never used them before  (Read 13179 times)

Joe the Soccer Coach

Hello Everyone,

Fishing up north (the Kitimat River), we never used anything but spoons (KIT-I-MATs, KOHOs) and spin n' glos to catch the big salmon up there.

Last year I took up the art of float fishing with wool on the Chilliwack with some success (one big chum and lost a chinook when I didn't have my waders - lesson learned!)

??? ???So I ask, how does one use the zinger or buzz bomb?  Do you let it sink to the bottom, then retrieve (quickly, slowly) with jerks every so often?  Or once it hits the water, do you let it sink for a bit (not hitting bottom) and retrieve?   ??? ???

Sorry, this sounds stupid, but I've never used these, and I see everyone using them. 

Thanks for your help, :)

Joe

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
Re: How does one fish a zinger or a buzz bomb? I've never used them before
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 11:02:16 AM »

research buzz bombs on the internet.

I think that's what he's doing.....  ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 12:25:41 PM »

http://hobbies.expertvillage.com/videos/advanced-fishing-buzz-bait.htm

Have at 'er !

That's a buzz bait, not a buzz bomb.

To fish with a buzz bomb, you can simply cast out and reel it in without doing anything, the motion of the waves is sometimes enough to produce the action on the lure. To be more effective, you can gently jig the rod up, the reel the slack line up and lowering your rod at the same time. This motion mimics a dying baitfish that is struggling in the water. The disadvantage of fishing from shore with it is that you may have a tendency to snag on the bottom or catch weeds because a buzz bomb sinks much faster than one would expect. Once you get a hang of it, it can be a very effective lure.

Joe the Soccer Coach

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 12:56:34 PM »

Thanks Rodney,

That is very helpful.

I spoke up too "loudly" about the pinks being at Cates Park.  I was there on Wednesday night, and there were quite a few people.  Kind of not sure if I should be so thorough in my Fishing Reports from now on.

My Dad's visiting from up north - he caught 30 pinks yesterday, with my brother-in-law catching 10.  He and I will be trying our luck down here sometime next week.

I'll go out and buy a buzz bomb or two (does the weight matter?).

Thanks again!

Joe

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »

I spoke up too "loudly" about the pinks being at Cates Park.  I was there on Wednesday night, and there were quite a few people.  Kind of not sure if I should be so thorough in my Fishing Reports from now on.

Don't feel so bad. It's an unspoken rule that is interpreted differently from one member to another. More experienced members may turn their report into a story and keep the little details on location etc vague, while some wouldn't even post a report on their outing, which is perfectly fine. However it is wrong for a person to condemn a newcomer who is just excited to share his or her success with others. A friendly advise to the reporter privately would be more appropriate. Personally I like to keep my reports generic, but keep it entertaining by providing photographs and videos.

I generally don't bother with pink salmon from North Vancouver to Squamish, due to the limited amount of fishing spots, size of the run and driving distance from Richmond during traffic. The Fraser River run dwarfs the number of fish that return to the Indian River, Seymour River, Squamish River. That particular fishery will pick up by the end of August.

I'm not so sure about the weight of buzz bomb recommended, as I don't use them. Most anglers use the smallest one they can find. It is after all hard to cast a large buzz bomb with a light to medium spincasting outfit. Personally I like to use spoons. I make my own or I use Gibbs 1/4oz Croc (pink, orange, chartreuse, green, fire striped, etc).

Good luck.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 02:22:25 PM »

Well it probably has more to do with word of mouth than anything... Don't think you caused that. I've had at least 5 phone calls and direct emails about it, so there are alot of people talking...

A few phone calls can really turn a place into a zoo...

I like the fact that you are so excited about pinks! That's really cool... Glad to see that your dad got into a bunch... I don't really care for them so much eating wise, but they are fun to catch.

:)
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 03:50:26 PM »

It is no secret that they would be there so really is it that big of a deal?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 04:15:07 PM »

I'm going to have to split this topic soon... ;)

The negative impact on the local sportfishing scene by the internet is brought up once every few months whenever good fishing is to be had and crowding takes place. To some degree, it certainly has an impact but without any numeric evidence to quantify such impact (for example, the percentage of internet users in the angling community), one should not conclude that it is the major cause of crowding.

As Nicole brought up, word of mouth is an efficient way of delivering fishing reports. Local tackle stores are a good source of latest information. Reports are often passed onto friends and families, who then pass onto their friends and families.

Let's also not forget that, this is the GVRD, where tens of thousands of anglers reside. A few dozen anglers on a beach suddenly seem so insignificant when the impact can be much higher if all decide to converge at the same spot.

Since we started moderating this discussion forum in 2001, we've seen individuals who signed up and were at the novice stage of this hobby. Throughout the years, they progressed and posted their success overtime on the forum. What irritates me is the fact that some of these individuals would have a turn of attitude and aggressively condemn and discourage those who are now doing the exact same thing that they were doing five years ago. It's important to remain humble and remember that there are newcomers, who are seeking for what we have been chasing, fish and fun.

It also seems that naturally negativity is not as easily forgotten as positivity. In my opinion, the internet angling community creates more positive impacts than negativity. Regulation changes can be delivered more readily to users this way, which makes trip planning much easier. Fish photos assist everyone when it comes to species identification. Important issues are brought up and it draws awareness. Readers will then take the message to those who are unaware of these issues. Fishing companions are made, which speeds up the learning phase for those who are starting out. In my opinion, I would rather see 100 educated anglers than 10 oblivious or ill-informed anglers on a stretch of beach or river.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 04:32:27 PM by Rodney »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 04:52:16 PM »

For pinks try the 1/2 oz zzinger and the 2" buzz bomb. Don't let it down to the bottom unless you are targetting bottom fish. Just an up and down lifting motion will get the fish. Don't jerk your lure through the water, you're just snagging them that way.

redside1

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 07:40:09 PM »

like F.A. said lift, not jerk or strike when pulling the buzz bomb up and stop quickly so it can flutter down. The lift should only be about 12" in distance and then let it drop about the same about. You could do something like lift up and then on the drop count 1-1000-2 and then lift again. Jerking hard does not make the lure fish well and turns it into a snagging lure. The most popular sizes are the 1/2 zzinger and 2" and 2.5"  Buzz Bomb in hot pink. For those looking to spend their money more wisely on lures , look for a 3 pack of Buzz Bomb copies made by Delta tackle call "Blizzards".They look just like the b-bombs and are a nice hot pink color just a nicer price point. Other good pink salmon catching lures are Marabou jigs in hot pink colors, Gibbs Mega watt lures in 1/4oz and 3/8oz sizes. Color is pink with a white stripe. Look very similar to the not available this year Luhr Jensen Hot Rod spoon. Dick Nites in pink pearl and cerise glitter also work well off of the beaches. Last but not least in popularity is Gibbs Rainbow crocs in sizes for 3/16oz to 1/2oz. The "hot" color is cerise crystal. There are many other decent lures but these seem to be available in all the tackle shops locally. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 01:54:20 PM »

When I used to fish the ocean on Vancouver Island we had good success with a Pirken and one of the original lures of this type. It was called a Rip Tide, they were made by a person in the Duncan area and were fished in Cowichan Bay starting in the 50's. Many of us used plug cut herring as we mooched. The fishing was great in those days and I as a young angler even caught a fair number number. ;D

I remember having a old plywood boat that we found sunken in a lake. We repaired it and painted it gray and of course our only horse power was, 2 oars. ;D
Anyway we saw the fellow with this rip tide having a fair amount of success. If I remember right he just let it down and then jerked the rod up and then let the line flutter down and then wood repear the process.

When I used to fish the rip tide and the Pirkin I used my Avon (in salt water  ??? ::) and would cast it out and let it flutter down and the fish would grab it, the take felt good too. ;D

I remember many years ago, off Qualicum Beach , between the Big and Little Q I had my dad out for an evening fishing trip most likely the last saltwater trip he made in his long fishing life. We were power mooching with herring but for a change I threw out the Rip Tide in the manner I said and a fish took it, I handed the rod to my dad and he landed his last salmon of his life, the fish was close to 15. I also remember when we had it in the net he told me "son I thought you were crazy fishing the Rip Tide that way.

Also a few years after that, fishing with 2:40 the dog fish were so bad we could not mooch with herring so it was Pirken's and the Rip Tides. If I remember correctly a nice fish jumped and 2:40 cast out in that direction and as the lure flutter down there was contact and it was a good one too. It even towed our 12 foot boat at a good clip too, with 2:40 at the bow. Unfortunately we never saw how big it really was as it fell off after a few minutes in the fight.

I relate these stories to answer the question how to fish any of these types of lures, give it a try but leave your Avon for fresh water use only but maybe not, as they sure cast nice in the ocean, no branches to cast into either. ;D ;D ;D