Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Peace Park, August 4th  (Read 2902 times)

Fishiefish

Peace Park, August 4th
« on: August 10, 2007, 04:44:16 PM »

Kind of late, but oh well.

I came to the park with my dad(we both go fishing) at around 1:30 P.M. I started first, and two my surprise, few seconds after casting I had a bite. I use Dewworms. It was a small Northern pike-minnow so I released it. Too small to be eaten. Then I casted again, and got another. This one put up a good fight, and was big for the Pikeminnow caught around here, so I kept it. When we caught around 5 fish, my dad hooked something big. It was a 4 foot baby sturgeon, so we took some pictures and released it. I noticed something jerked my rod. Looked like a big fish, so I hurried. At first, what came to my mind was 'Ah crap, it snagged to a log' but then as I pulled, I felt it move a little. I then reeled it in, and a Sturgeon jumped out of the water. By that jump, I'd say it was about 10-15 feet. It easily broke my 8lb line. That was a good thing, since I felt my rod was about to snap in half. So then I caught more fish after fighting my first Sturgeon, and to my surprise we caught a Channel catfish, as well as some Whitefish.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Peace Park, August 4th
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 09:31:19 PM »

welcome!

Thanks for the report!...Could have been a whale, they can reach 100ft, they have been spotted in the fraser.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 09:46:44 PM by THE_ROE_KID »
weeeeeeeeeow!

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 09:35:28 PM »

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a fun day :)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 12:14:18 AM »

a 4ft sturgey is no baby! and a 10-15fter seems a little big.

speycaster

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 08:28:23 AM »

A 10 to15 footer is really big for the Red river in Manitoba, as that is where i presume you were fishing to catch a channel cat. ;D ;D

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 09:53:09 AM »

It was a 4 foot baby sturgeon, so we took some pictures and released it.

Any chance you could post those pictures? Sounds great.

Joe the Soccer Coach

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 03:40:56 PM »

Where is Peace Park?  Is that Peace Arch Park near the border?  Where are you able to fish from a dock or by boat? 

Are those pike minnows, whitefish and catfish edible?

Thanks,

Joe
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 03:45:45 PM by Joe the Soccer Coach »

Fishiefish

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 07:02:17 PM »

Hm...I believe Peace Park is really close to Mary hill bypass. I was fishing at a dock. I never really expected to catch a Channel Cat, really wanted to but never knew where to find them :P

Perhaps I was exaggerating, but I'm pretty sure that Sturgeon was about 10 ft at least.

Yeah we eat the fish. Pikeminnows are really bony though.

By the way, does anyone know what fish can be caught in Coquitlam River? I see some guys fish near the bridge at Lion's park.

Fishiefish

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 07:38:20 PM »

Oooh yea, saw it surface and it was HUGE. It snapped my line and probably would break my rod. The channel cat was small, only about 5 inches. I'm hoping to have some luck in the Coquitlam River. I can't wait to catch my first Salmon! Or more Rainbows and such. I heard other fish feast on Salmon eggs, so I'll try artificial ones when the time comes.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 07:46:33 PM »

a 4fter is not very big, average on most days. 10-15 is a big range...its rare to see a 10fter, maybe 3 a year if your lucky between all of the guys out there. there is probably some over 12ft still but they are the ones you hook and can never land and a lot of the time dont ever even see.
that one in your pic sam looks to be 8'6-9; in my opinion
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Fishiefish

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 07:53:19 PM »

I did see some guys a month ago land a 9 footer. They spent lots of time landing that one, and it was an enjoyable sight to see.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 10:05:05 PM »

It was a 4 foot baby sturgeon, so we took some pictures and released it.

Fishiefish

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 10:48:31 PM »

It was on a cellphone, and I don't know how to upload phone pics :P

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 08:48:24 AM »

Fishie Fish, are you new to fishing in British Columbia?  The reason I ask is that (as someone else pointed out) the fraser river does not have CATFISH or Channel Cats.  Most likely what you caught is a bullhead or sculpin.  Did it have 2 "horns" on the top of its head and a big mouth?

Anyhow, species identification is very important in BC rivers.  If you are calling a bull head a channel cat, it may be a good idea to get a species guide and study it thorougly!  If you can't tell the differnce between the salmon species, you really shouldn't retain one (as it could be a closed/protected species).  This goes the same for trout...dollies, cut throat, bull trout, etc are closed in most if not all rivers.  HATCHERY rainbows may be open depending on the river and time of year.  All these fish can look very similiar, so be careful.  when you do hook a nice fish, thinks can happen quickly and being excited and all, you really need to be careful with your identification.

Get familiar with the regs and species identification and you should be fine.

Good luck/

Fishiefish

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 08:58:13 AM »

Eh? I was quite certain it was a channel cat. I caught a few Bullheads too and they looked different. I figured it was a catfish since I ate catfish back on the Philippines. It had spiny fins, four whiskers and what looked like a golden patch on it's body. Yeah I'm new, I only got my rod this christmas. I'll be careful when the Salmon reaches Coquitlam river then. I know I had a Salmon identification sheet I got from last year's Salmon festival, so I'll go bring that with me when I go fishing.

I was also confused seeing what I hooked. I thought it was a bullhead, but when I reeled it in it was a channel cat.