Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: C&R'n the sockeye  (Read 12384 times)

nosey

C&R'n the sockeye
« on: August 14, 2007, 07:38:50 AM »

An acquaintance of mine told me he caught and released 4 sockeye at the end of St. Elmo rd the other day in less than 2 hrs., I was watching the scale bar the other day from across the river with binoculars and could see sockeye being landed steadily, I'm just disgusted where does it all end? We are supposed to be sports anglers and there are people out there just torturing these sockeye and releasing them knowing that a high percentage of them will die from the extra stress they have been exposed to while the dfo just stand back and does nothing. I know it's wrong and nobody seems to have kahoonas to close the river, I hope some solutions will come to light soon.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: C&R'n the sockeye
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 08:35:29 AM »

Actually the DFO didn't just stand there and do nothing.
They weren't there.
You were there and saw it.
You just stood there and did nothing.

chummer

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 10:34:03 AM »

The regulation on salmon fishery is just a nonsense and it actually promote flossing or other unethical fishery by the nature of how it works.

C&R of any salmon has to be banned on the Fraser.

"Successful landing of any first 2 salmon and leaving the river" can be more realistic, to protect salmon and also to promote selective method of fishing. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 10:48:51 AM »

WAH WAH WAH! Disgusted? Do something about it instead of WHINING IT ON AN INTERNET DISCUSSION FORUM! Really objective, really...

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 10:53:43 AM »

Nosey, respectfully, why don't you edit your public post NOT to include the exact location if you are concerned.

Fishiefish

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 12:52:44 PM »

You know, you could have at least tried to stop them...I agree, the DFO wasn't around but YOU were there.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 01:31:13 PM »

You know, you could have at least tried to stop them...I agree, the DFO wasn't around but YOU were there.
what could he have done besides telling them to stop? as if they would really listen ::)....he doesnt have the powers of any co, dfo or peace officer....

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 02:01:26 PM »

He could drive over there (why not? Fish are being tortured, save them at all cost) and say, "Hey you beeks, stop poaching sockeye salmon. You guys are flossing fish that are not biting. Flossing is snagging. Snaggers are poachers! Stop poaching or get off the river!"

We don't have a problem saying that to fella forum members, so please don't hold back at the river.

nosey

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 02:04:13 PM »

Ask around Rodney, I have been doing stuff and I have been trying to keep away from these internet  flossing debates recently unfortunately it seems like sticking my head in the sand by not mentioning it on a public forum. As for physically doing something to the offenders, I'm almost 60 years old does it seem logical to wade in the water with 40 or 50 guys bottom bouncing and tell them to quit hooking sockeye, just remember the reputation the Scale bar has for violence and if you actually read my post you would have realised that I was on the other side of the river watching with binoculars. You Rodney, in the name of nutrality sit on your thumb and say nothing on your forum even though I have been told you have strong opinions on the matter, you don't have the jam to state them online and then you mock me for saying I was discusted what would you suggest I do. I have done everything possible to keep my comments as inoffensive as possible to other fishermen but let me tell you I am offended by your wah wah wah comment.

nosey

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 02:06:07 PM »

Sorry Rodney didn't read your last post in time before I posted mine.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 02:12:50 PM »

Yes I have strong opinion on the issue, but I'm still looking for a set of testicles to state them online.

Offended by my comment? I thought most are already offended by this flossing capital of the world wide web. ???

if you actually read my post you would have realised that I was on the other side of the river watching with binoculars.

I did say drive over there right?

Sit on my thumb... Better stop that soon, it's getting rather sore this summer.

Rodney Hsu, enjoying sitting idly and doing nothing while raping of the Fraser River salmon stocks continues.

chummer

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 02:24:06 PM »

He could drive over there (why not? Fish are being tortured, save them at all cost) and say, "Hey you beeks, stop poaching sockeye salmon. You guys are flossing fish that are not biting. Flossing is snagging. Snaggers are poachers! Stop poaching or get off the river!"

We don't have a problem saying that to fella forum members, so please don't hold back at the river.
;D There are not many guys who have guts to preach on an alley of outlaws ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 02:27:23 PM »

No my smelly socks, but lots of heroes who seem to have the virtual guts to do so on the world wide web.

nosey

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 02:56:12 PM »

Get a grip on this before it gets out of hand, BTW my name is Dale Larsen I live in Laidlaw and I do believe we are on the same side, if you will refrain from insulting me I will pay you the same respect, however if you actually believe one person can make a difference by going up to a row of bottom bouncers and yelling at them calling them snaggers more power to you. I have been writing letters to the editor of my local paper, letters to the DFO and one letter to Barry Penner, actually I've been doing what I can. I would gladly stand with you on the Kieth Wilson Road bridge and call out the snaggers because police response time to save our sorry lives would be short but to call them out on the scale bar would take at least twenty minutes and it's a really long swim over to Silver Cr. across the river once we got turfed in.

Fishiefish

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 02:57:52 PM »

Try taking pictures of their faces and report them. I'd stop it if I were them  :)