Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Natives too defy ban  (Read 12160 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Natives too defy ban
« on: August 18, 2007, 05:04:40 PM »

This was from todays globe and mail. Pretty sad.

Natives promise to defy ban on sockeye fishing
PATRICK BRETHOUR

From Saturday's Globe and Mail

August 18, 2007 at 2:11 AM EDT

VANCOUVER — Native fishermen are vowing to head out onto the lower Fraser River this weekend to fish for sockeye salmon – defying a federal ban – in part to protest against the continuing recreational fishery.

“A few of the bands have said they're going to go out fishing,” said Ernie Crey, fisheries adviser for the Sto:lo bands in the eastern Fraser Valley. His own band, the Cheam, is considering joining that action.

The Sto:lo are angry, he said, that the Department of Fisheries and Oceans will not allow them or other bands along the Lower Fraser to fish for sockeye, but will allow anglers to ply the river until Monday. Although those recreational fishermen are not permitted to catch sockeye, the Sto:lo say that happens anyway.

“It's now common knowledge that they're killing and keeping sockeye,” Mr. Crey said.

So, today or tomorrow, according to Mr. Crey, natives in fishing boats will cast nets into the Fraser, partly as a gesture of protest and partly as a way to stock their freezers for the winter.

DFO is declining to say exactly how it will respond to such a move. “We'll monitor that situation, and depending on the circumstances, we'll take appropriate action,” said Paul Ryall, head of the department's salmon team.

However, B.C. Conservative MP John Cummins, an outspoken critic of federal fisheries policy, said he believes that fisheries officials will not intervene – even though they should – to protect the sockeye stocks. “They can't tolerate this sort of behaviour,” he said. “But by past performance, [intervention] hasn't happened.”

At the root of the dispute is a stunning collapse in the size of this year's runs of sockeye on the Fraser, and the resulting plummet in the size of the allowable catch. No one is certain why the population has declined so much, but the warm oceans of four years ago are thought to have reduced food sources and increased predators. As a result, there will be no commercial fishery for sockeye this year, and aboriginal bands that last year harvested close to a million fish will be limited to just 180,000. Already, 100,000 fish have been caught, with DFO deciding late Thursday to open fisheries only upstream of Sawmill Creek, north of Hope, and then only until tomorrow evening.

The recreational fishery will remain open until midnight tomorrow. Although the Sto:lo and other native bands are upset that it will not be closed sooner, the DFO's Mr. Ryall said an immediate closing is impractical, and that the department typically tries to give 48-hour notice. A decision was made late Thursday, and a formal notice given Friday morning, with the fishery closing more than 60 hours later.

Donald Sam, fisheries co-ordinator for the Nlaka'Pamux, said he could not say what the effect of unauthorized fishing downstream would be on his bands' legal fishing efforts. But he said the Nlaka'Pamux plan to comply with DFO directives.

Mr. Ryall said there will be a relatively small number of fish caught legally in the Upper Fraser this weekend, around 3,000 sockeye.

What will happen on the Lower Fraser with illegal boats and nets is unclear. Mr. Crey said he's not sure how many native fishermen will head out this weekend. But he is certain that the tide of anger toward the DFO is rising. “The whole community along the lower river is in turmoil right now.”

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Natives too defy ban
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 05:14:59 PM »

I would love to say some things about this but.....  Just one question?  Is Ernie Cray along with other bands using what "may" be happening further up river as a reason to illegally fish the Lower? :-[
 I was out tossing Spoons this morning and didn't see any nets where I was, but this isn't where they would usually be anyways so who knows....
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 05:18:04 PM »

If they are there I will be down there throwing logs and other debris into the water, we should all do this.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 05:22:09 PM »

I'll be on the water in the lower tomorow, port mann to alex fraser... the pirate flag will be up  >:(

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 05:25:11 PM »

I will be checking the mouth of the stave as they usually like to tie them to the pillars of the train tracks. Lumber yard close by. A few off cuts maybe released from the bridge  ;D .

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 05:40:03 PM »

Do you all forget the law case to get the sportys off the river?
The F/N lost that case. They have now won this one.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 06:30:58 PM »

Throw in small dead trees and large branches, they will tangle very easily. remember the more branches the better.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 06:43:51 PM »

As I posted elsewhere FOC was seizing nets today and are out in full force today.

It is a sad situation that some people in at least two sectors donot want to realize there is a conservation concern for our sockeye stocks and donot want to do their part to help them reach their natal streams to spawn this season.

Word has been circulating today that some people want to stage a protest on Monday.

In my mind this will do them no good and just make matters worse for all, the public is well aware through the print and TV media there is a conservation concern and will show them no sympathy.

I am sure some will disagree with this post and that is their right to do so but as I said a few weeks ago changes were coming that would affect I us, that day has now arrived or will on Monday. :(
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 06:46:02 PM by chris gadsden »

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 06:52:52 PM »

Who is planning on protesting, the natives, or sports anglers?

And what is the platform?

Thanks!
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 07:17:53 PM »

Who is planning on protesting, the natives, or sports anglers?

And what is the platform?

Thanks!
Nicole
I am just getting the information second hand Nicole but I was told it was the ones that use a fishing rod, that is all I know.

fishyfish

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 08:27:08 PM »

DFO has just posted an amendment banning all trees, logs twigs and branches from being discarded into the fraser. This has taken affect at 12:00 Saturday evening. We must conserve the limited amount of  logs and branches still resting on the shore. There has been a decline in the amount available due to campfires being allowed all year in local campsites. Chief Stanley Tree is warning about a shortage of trees affecting the traditional smoking of sockeye. For those of you who can not recognize this its called satire. A literary work in which human vice or folly is attacked through irony, derision, or wit. Please do not take seriously. Seriously though very good plan I will partake but beware there is probably or probably will be a law against it. Cheers, do what you can thats all you can do. I need to get out fishing I'm going nuts.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 08:29:23 PM by fishyfish »

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 08:32:07 PM »

I saw Mr. crey on the news saying that some of the fn communities need sockey for the protein to get through winter.I guess other stocks such as pinks don't have any protein. :o So I guess now they will defy the ban and keep taking as many as they can,instead of letting them all get to the spawning grounds.And then when there is none left who's to blame? :'(
fishing is life, the rest is just details.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 09:29:19 PM »

DFO has just posted an amendment banning all trees, logs twigs and branches from being discarded into the fraser. This has taken affect at 12:00 Saturday evening. We must conserve the limited amount of  logs and branches still resting on the shore. There has been a decline in the amount available due to campfires being allowed all year in local campsites. Chief Stanley Tree is warning about a shortage of trees affecting the traditional smoking of sockeye.

;D ;D

ever_hopefull

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 11:17:46 PM »

Chris makes a good point.  The general public is aware that there is a problem with the sockeye run sizes, and will not be sympathetic to illegal fishing by either the first nations or the sport fishermen.  The protest fishery will be accompanyied by fisheries officers and the rcmp.  The first nations are trying to make a point that all recreational fishing should be stopped in both the fraser river and the saltchuck until they are able to get their food fish.  Their intent is to get the issue into the supreme court and force a review of the previous provincial court decision.  Sport fishermen should not get in the middle of that fight by staging their own protest, there is nothing to gain and a lot of credibility to lose.  Best to stay on the sidelines and watch nets get seized, then prepare to have the sfab request to be an intervener into the trial.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 11:33:52 PM »

Probably the same group of people who a few years back caused the disapperance of a million fish. They are not going to stop the sockeye $$$ machine until hell freezes over. Talking conservaton concern with them is a waste of time. Tough enforcement is the ticket to solve the race based non-sense. But this country lacks the will to set things right due to white guilt. Sigh.  :(