Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heading North To The Thompson  (Read 4918 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Heading North To The Thompson
« on: August 18, 2007, 08:35:39 PM »

What a treat it has to get away the last two weeks, to two excursion to the peaceful Thompson River.

I now find the Fraser Valley so conjested with traffic and most people are in such a rush to get to where they are going. Our highways and local roads have not kept up with the rapid population and building growth. I cannot wait to get away these days.

The trip through the Fraser Canyon has so much to see, if one takes the time to view it. As I have mentioned many times it is so steep in history, first occupied by the First Nations at least 9,000 years ago. I always enjoy looking at some of the pit houses they lived in for part of the year, to gather their supply of the bountiful salmon. I wonder how long these pit houses were occupied and what happened to the last occupants. It sure would be interesting to be able to go back to this times, in a time machine.

As I look at the canyon walls of the Fraser River below I imagine Simon Fraser going by these steep rock cliffs as he must have wondered what lay ahead for him and his men, then the gold seekers that followed and now us, travelling over the same ground they tread. At the same time I am thankful for the river that has given me the fish this season, I donot take these fish and the river for granted, thats for sure. I try to honour them both.

Some truck traffic and many private vehicles are in such a rush to get to where they are going so I pull over a few times each trip, to just let them go by. I guess maybe I am just one of those old drivers I used to laugh at and say why are you holding me up. ;D
Age of course changes one's attitude on so many of life's issues.

I finally have talked my wife in taking one of the many fishing trips I have made this year. Trips that have supplied us with enjoyable fresh chinooks for the good part of 3 months, it took lots of hours and exploring to do so. Of course to me that is part of the enjoyment to fishing but of course retirement gives one that opportunity to do that.

As we leave Boston Bar and reach the summit of Jackass Mountain we start to see the vegetation change, in each passing mile. Gas at Lytton is usually the first stop on the trip, we view the chocolate colour of the mighty Fraser and the clear waters of the Thompson as they meet at The Forks as Lytton was one called. The reaction Ferry is busy, just above where the rivers join, must take that trip across one day again and go up to the Stein River and the valley of the same name. One can not but notice the Thompson's crystal green water being quickly gobbled up by her bigger sister.

We now are in sage brush country, how I love that sweet smell, the clear sky, the grey colored cliffs above the rapids of the river, only the recent pine beetle kill spoils it all. The people of this area are so relaxed, friendly, they make you feel welcome.

During the trip we see osprey, bighorn sheep, eagles, magpies, red colored sockeye flipping in the pockets of calm waters, a beaver, a bear be it dead after being hit by a truck, many rafters shooting the Jaws of Death, the Frog and many others. I also see tons of grasshoppers in the dry desert like environment.
Taking of hoppers I had fun catching some in a net and then seeing if a rainbow might go after them on a hook which they did on my first cast, a feisty 15 incher. Another big one was lost and then another the same lenght as the first also took a liking to a hopper just as daylight was fading, the end of another perfect day. I know I should be trying fly fishing for them like Rodney but next time. I am a beek at fly fishing unless I have The Master to guide me. ;D

A few jack springs added to the pleasure of the trip with many pictures and video taken of all the sights and sounds the mighty Thompson area has to offer. I then can relive these memories in the future, of a trip to sage brush country, give it a try one day, I am sure you will enjoy it like I do. I certainly cannot wait until I can do that trip again.

I hope you enjoyed the return of The Journal, be it a fairly short one, shorter that I usually pen. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 11:14:54 PM by chris gadsden »

gman

Re: Heading North To The Thompson
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 09:53:35 PM »

Yes I enjoyed the return of the Journal.  :) Sounds like a great trip...

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 11:11:24 PM »

Thanks Chris, I missed your Journal and the wonderful way you describe your adventures. I'll be heading up there in a short while for a weeks stay and you've just brought back so many fresh memories  of our beautiful land that I wish I could leave tomorrow. Don't stop writing, art to be appreciated must be seen.

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 11:20:44 PM »

Chris,

I find the trout like the foam and rubber grasshoppers as much as the real ones...try it sometime
...no real grasshoppers will be sacrificed... ;)

Great journal entry....kinda wish I was up there this weekend again, instead of chasing after pinks  :P

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 12:22:43 PM »

Thanks for the great report. It is always enjoyable to read. One day I wish to take a trip up that way.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 03:41:12 PM »

Chris,

I find the trout like the foam and rubber grasshoppers as much as the real ones...try it sometime
...no real grasshoppers will be sacrificed... ;)

Great journal entry....kinda wish I was up there this weekend again, instead of chasing after pinks  :P
Very nice picture and thanks for the tip, do you use a floating line to fish with that critter? ;D

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 08:49:03 PM »

Chris,
Yes, I use them with a floating line. However, last weekend I did get a 19" fish while walking upstream and draggin my line behind me some how  ::)  So maybe presentation is not that important when it comes to fishing with hoppers.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 09:05:57 PM »

Chris,
Yes, I use them with a floating line. However, last weekend I did get a 19" fish while walking upstream and draggin my line behind me some how  ::)  So maybe presentation is not that important when it comes to fishing with hoppers.

Well that would be me, they sure a fun fish to catch and beautiful fish as your photo depicts.

The fly rod will be going on the next trip but will take the net incase I need to catch the real hoppers. ::) ;D

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 01:26:12 AM »

Your missing out Chris. If my ten year old daughter can tie into 19 inch Bows with her six foot 6wt and a small amount of coaching from Dad; I'm sure you can catch a few, with a fly rod, yourself.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 06:48:32 AM »

Your missing out Chris. If my ten year old daughter can tie into 19 inch Bows with her six foot 6wt and a small amount of coaching from Dad; I'm sure you can catch a few, with a fly rod, yourself.
I will be back, as at least two more trips planned when the holidays are over for most. ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 06:57:43 AM »

O and nice work by the young one, look forward to some pictures as they sure are lovely fish as Chrome Mykiss' photo's depict so well.

I have to get some video of them also which this year I have a few hours of.  ;D

I have compiled "The Journal" on video the last few months including a few bloopers. ;D It is fun trying to film with the video camera in one hand and the single action reel in the other. ???

It is fortunate that me and the camera have not gone swimming with the fish, many fish have gained their freedom because of me trying to be a movie star, a camera man and a director all at the same time. ;D ;D ;D

Watch out u tube if I ever figured out how to post them and had the time but one that cannot even figure out how to post pictures here it may be a long time before that happens.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 10:18:22 PM »

You are a brave man, I refuse to take a camera with me because they don't like swimming.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 07:10:46 PM »

awesome report!

Hook, Line and Sinker

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 09:22:14 PM »

I just came back from the same route 4 weeks ago, only I continued further up, all the way to William's Lake, then down the number 20 towards Bella Coola, ending up at Raven Lake. Here's the fishing video I shot of the road trip; I'm sure it'll bring back some memories of your own trip.  My impressions of Lytton differ from yours, but the video makes that pretty clear...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-l8lWLUIj4   

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 10:06:02 PM »

With the Thompson River now nearing its Fall closure another trip was made last week and it was nice to see the jacks migration in full swing with enough taken to pop in the smoker once again.These little guys are tasty eating all around. The nights are getting cool there now and shorter as well, Fall is just around the corner. ;D

Did not take the fly rod again and got out with the hoppers once again for an hour, ??? Only picked up 3 chub with them but hooked on to something big on the last cast of the day as darkness fell around me.

The sign of bear droppings kept me looking over my shoulder a few times. :-\

Did not know what I hooked, was it a chinook that remembered starting its life 4 or so years ago and it remembered eating hoppers before it headed to the ocean.

Maybe I have found a new bait for these guys. ;D ;D