Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Week of Fishing at the Cabin  (Read 2318 times)

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Another Week of Fishing at the Cabin
« on: August 20, 2007, 09:59:48 AM »

Just got back!  Had a glorious week of fine weather which I needed to weatherproof the cedar wood siding of the cabin.  A huge job that needed to be done.  Cut into the fishing big time but I still managed to fish everyday for about 4 hours, unfortunately, not always at what I consider to be prime time.

The scariest part.  Only 1 inch of the top rung was making contact with the cabin.  Long way to fall!

One of my buddies fishing out in front of the cabin.  Good thing he's got a motor to get out there!

As good as the fishing was, which is surprising during a time that most consider to be the August doldrums, I couldn't have been more frustrated!  The first hour I fished I hooked  into 8 fish, and only landed 2 because of a family of 4 loons that tormented me to no end.  Some of the fish were absolute beauties that they couldn't have swallowed at the best of times which made it even more exasperating.  I eventually went in to get my slingshot and some pebbles which only helped slightly.  They eventually left me to fish in peace.

PUBLIC ENEMY NO. 1!! (of four)

By week's end I had lost 8 flies to the loons.  I was amazed that my 4 and 6 lb. tippit could bring a 15 lb. loon to the boat before eventually breaking off.  Man, you have no idea how formidable a pissed off loon can look when it's 5 feet from your boat.  Talk about giving you the evil eye.  There was no way I was going to make an attempt to try and save my flies!!

The bugs that need to be imitated.  And very closely at that...5 other boats on the lake on Sat. without a bite even after telling a few of them what depth, colour, and size to use.

Lots of dragons up there....very friendly creatures!

That was the scenario for the entire week except my last day, when the loons were probably too full to pester me.  It was an amazing 4 1/2 hours of chrony fishing with no more than a couple of minutes between hits.  I even kept a few fish knowing how difficult it will be this summer getting any salmon in the local rivers. It's funny but I rarely bonk fish out of my own lake.  It's like my bird hunting friend up in Vernon who never shoots the pheasants on his own piece of property but doesn't bat an eyelash at doing it on his neighbour's.  Go figure.

Bonked fish

4 lb. Beauty

Back this week for 3 summer Pro D Days, then back up to the lake until Labour Day before having to get back into the classroom to start teaching.  Yuck!  This summer went by entirely too quickly for my liking.  Well, at least I got the one big job out of the way at the cabin.  Now there's the sundeck!  CHEERS!

Special Note  For nature lovers out there, no loons were harmed during the fishing time experienced by the angler in this story.  Number 16 chironomids (debarbed)....just like a mosquito to them.  I'm just hoping they think of me as some kind of threat in the future and let me get down to some honest to goodness fishing.  I'd hate to put out a bounty on them.  ;)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Another Week of Fishing at the Cabin
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 10:03:31 AM »

Thanks for the report! Sounds like an excellent trip. Where is your cabin located?
weeeeeeeeeow!

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 10:21:43 AM »

Northeast of Princeton....4000' level.  Don't really want to give the name of the lake.  it's a small lake and can't handle alot of pressure, but there are lots of lakes up that way that do fish quite well this time of the year.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 11:44:36 AM »

Prineton is a nice area. That is understandable!  My buddy is fishing up there right now.
weeeeeeeeeow!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 11:53:25 AM »

Awesome picture of the dragonfly.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 12:48:29 PM »

Awesome picture of the dragonfly.

Here's another....he was setting up to land on my knee.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 04:47:58 PM »

Nice job MC...took my son over to Pulman this weekend, WSU starts today so your lucky... ;D Any luck on bigger chirons.?

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 05:22:17 PM »

Ya...the first couple of days most of the fish (and loons) that I hooked were on bombers which is more the norm or at least like last August.  I expect more of them will be hatching soon.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 06:03:21 PM »

excellent report Mastercaster...... hope to hit the lakes upcountry for a week or so after my charter season wraps up.... not enough chasin trouts for me lately... the flies are gathering dust.... shame on me  ;D

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 07:02:28 PM »

thanks for the report. that lake looks awefully familiar...is it along the princeton-merrit highway?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 07:04:02 PM by Michaelt »

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 08:15:35 PM »

That dragon fly photo is cool!