Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Nations wont starve afterall  (Read 5350 times)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
First Nations wont starve afterall
« on: August 24, 2007, 12:35:26 AM »

Nice to see that the First Nations wont starve this year afterall.
They have been given openings to get some Sockeye.
Some as long as 48 hour openings.
Hope they can get enough to get through the winter with this run as small as it is.

johnny

Re: First Nations wont starve afterall
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 08:20:22 AM »

Well, they're getting enough sockeye to warrant throwing any pinks in the net up on the beach to rot!! Seen first hand...

>:(
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 11:42:40 AM »

yah its comforting to know they won't starve.  afterall, its common knowledge that there's no nutritional value in pinks and chum. i just hope they can gather enough wood before the rainy season. it's really hard to smoke fish with wet wood.

how considerate of the government to give them special privileges... especially, since now a days,  bison is hard to come by.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 11:25:50 PM »

Starving? What starving? There are tons of pinks to provide all the protein and Omega 3 (pinks has the highest Omega3). So they rather endanger by fishing a threatened sockeye stock this year rather than eating pinks? Give us a break. The truly starving people in the world are digging roots and eating bugs or rodents just to survive. Go figure. Just plain ridiculous.  :o

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 11:56:15 PM »

Starving? What starving? There are tons of pinks to provide all the protein and Omega 3 (pinks has the highest Omega3). So they rather endanger by fishing a threatened sockeye stock this year rather than eating pinks? Give us a break. The truly starving people in the world are digging roots and eating bugs or rodents just to survive. Go figure. Just plain ridiculous.  :o

i hope for your sake, you caught the air of sarcasm in the previous posts. ::)   just don't want you to suffer from a coronary.  :D ;D :D ;D

speycaster

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 04:25:21 PM »

What the he$$ you expect me to try and sell pinks out of my 2007 Ford F350, they don't even cover the fuel costs. ;D ;D ;D

hotrod

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 07:47:58 PM »

What a load of crap this thead is.Rodney how do you allow this on this site? C'mon man get with the program. I see that you have worked hard for this but to allow this kinda stuff to go unmoderated surprises me. I've seen your adds in angling mags and it comes off as a class site and it is to a point!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 08:07:34 PM »

hotrod, you have to be more specific than letting me know this is a "load of crap", because frankly, I am a trained biologist, who is not as political minded as you might think. You let me know your point of view, we'll look at it, self-reflect and make changes. The "report to moderator" link at the bottom of each post has not been used at all. Until someone reports it, I can only do so much based on the limited amount of knowledge and wisdom that I have gained in the last 30 years.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 09:55:26 PM »

Hotrod, I believe this whole thread probably comes from a statement that a particular FN Chief made, (prior post quoting a news report).  The Chief said (in anger with regards to the Fraser closer) that "some people in tribes would starve to death this winter without the protein from salmon". 

This statement didn't go over so well with many people.  In my opinion, he thinks a lot of people are naive enough to believe that FN's are 100% dependent on natural resources.  Regardless of why it was made, this statement was an insult to many people's intelligence.   

freakonaleash

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 10:55:30 PM »

You know that they're not going to starve. They know that they're not going to starve. Why are they getting special privledges ? Because they where here first. Who cares.. honestly, there are plenty of good places to fish.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 11:03:31 PM »

hotrod, don't get too offended by some of our remarks,  its not intended to attack first nations.   its only our way of venting from statements made by certain band members who show no regard for the plight of the sockeye and are only out to satisfy their own hidden agenda.

why is it ok for them to give their opinion and criticism through national media, but not ok for us to respond?  why is it ok for them to threaten to disregard closures, but at the same time complain about the lack of fish?  don't forget, they're not the only people suffering from the closures....many commercial fishermen have lost their livelihoods and their way of life.

hotrod

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 07:00:14 AM »

Thanks bentrod! now this post make sense to me. I appologize for beeking off as I don't agree with the cheam and now recall those statements.

Hotrod

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 07:28:03 AM »

No worries Hot Rod.  This is an emothional issue that effects everyone in different ways.  It is amazing how similar things are in Washington State.  It is so bad here that the tribes even go to the hatcheries and demand half of their fish.   >:(

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 04:56:02 PM »

It has now been noted that the F/N  are throwing back all the pinks in their nets.

Shows you that they are starving to death..

fishherron

• DSC00434-001
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007, 08:00:46 PM »

As I have said in another post,if you guys think it's bad now wait untill all the treaties are signed.
Fish for all your worth but, remember what the fish are worth.