Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salt Chuck Fishing August 24th, 2007  (Read 1318 times)

flyrod

• Old Timer
Salt Chuck Fishing August 24th, 2007
« on: August 25, 2007, 06:17:13 PM »

Went out yesterday with my son and friend in his boat out to T-10 and fished right around the bouy.  Had a hit on a pink hootchie and lost it.  My buddy landed a man eating dogfish of about 2 ft in length.  Then at 11 am my rod went nuts and after about 10 minute fight I landed my first for the season.  A white spring in great shape around 18-20 lbs.  It sure put up a fight.  Broke in my new MR3 Islander reel. It was great.  The drag is sooth smooth.  This is the first spring I have landed in 2 1/2 years that hasn't been hijacked by a seal. A number of the guide boats came over to inspect my battle.  Not many springs caught around there that day.
Then about 20 minutes later we heard on our VHF radio some one telling another boat to look out to the starboard side and see the pod of killer whales, orca.  Well, we were entertained by some 20-25 whales for about 45 minutes.  They were heading to Vancouver harbour area.  Whale watching boats were out enjoying the treat.  Tried to get pix of them but it was hard.  Two females and their young one surfaced about 20 feet alongside us.  They were so close that you could see their eyes.  Awesome experience.  The weather was just perfect.Pooor seals were terrified and hiding for cover.
This means that the big run of Sockeye are coming around very soon. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 12:54:07 PM by Rodney »

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
Re: Salt Chuck Fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »

You only saw half the Killer Whales...they were spread out big time.

Red Springs are about over...STINKIN' white springs are around the corner....nothing but slime....but in the ocean they're still in their prime...

Pinks will be here in less than a week.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Salt Chuck Fishing
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 08:21:02 PM »

Awsome report! Pics?
weeeeeeeeeow!