Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice on Garry Point Park  (Read 3174 times)

Joe the Soccer Coach

Advice on Garry Point Park
« on: August 29, 2007, 04:37:03 PM »

Hello Everyone,

A few weeks back I went to Garry Point Park to see where to fish (ended up going to London's Landing and caught big bullheads/sculpins).

I parked the car, and walked down toward Pajo's and couldn't find anywhere to or anyone fishing?  Where do people usually fish from at Garry Point Park? 

I'm planning on heading that way this weekend for a few hours.  I know Rodney stated in a previous thread that there is no where to crab as it is too rocky?  Across from Pajo's there is a sandy area, is it legal to wade into the water and then throw a trap in from there?

Thanks for your help!

Joe

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Advice on Garry Point Park
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 09:44:04 PM »

Wrong way Joe. ;D If you want fish and chips, head toward Pajo's. ;D If you want to catch fish, head the other way into the park. There are three bays with sandy beach at Garry Point Park. Although fishing on the beach is ok, for coarse fish in general, most of the fishing is done on the rocks on each side of the bay. When the pink salmon are coming through during the incoming tide, spincast from the rocks. My recommendation is to fish the rocks facing the first bay (the bay in front of Pajo's) once you get into the park. You would be facing the entrance of the marina. Quite often, if pink salmon are coming through, they would enter that bay, circle around, before swim out to the main channel once again or swim through that narrow channel.

If no salmon are around, spincasting from the rocks with small spinners will entice some rather big northern pikeminnow as well.

You can also bottom fish with bait (shrimp, worm, etc) by casting out really far. Don't drop your line just in front of the rocks, otherwise you would snag up. With bait on the bottom, you are likely to catch the odd dogfish, pacific tomcod, sculpin/bullhead, flounder.

Joe the Soccer Coach

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 08:44:12 AM »

Thanks Rodney!

I was hoping you would be the one to answer this question.

How about crabbing?  If I catch any, and you're there, I'll glad give you my red-rock crab catch (unless they are dungeoness, then I'll share my catch!)

Cheers,

Joe

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 11:18:01 AM »

Not the most ideal place for crabbing.