Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Re-opening  (Read 5288 times)

Hook Set

Fraser Re-opening
« on: August 29, 2007, 05:58:28 PM »

Found this on another site

Starting August 31st upper fraser is open again :)

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=103978&ID=recreational

Remember though no fishing for sockeye
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 06:15:25 PM by Hook Set »

stlhd4ever

Re: Fraser Re-opening
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »

Gee, how nice :D
Wishin I was Fishin

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 06:26:24 PM »

I heared there opening sockeye monday. >:(
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 06:34:03 PM by THE_ROE_KID »
weeeeeeeeeow!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 06:34:36 PM »

^^^____GONG___^^^

Cheers
Nuggy

you can say that again!  :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 06:37:39 PM by THE_ROE_KID »
weeeeeeeeeow!

roeman

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 06:35:06 PM »

Here is an idea, leave all the bottom bouncing gear in the garage so the rivers stays open now.. just a thought..
Are you fishin or catchin

jugjudge

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 09:06:33 PM »

so they have open it up.i guess all the guides and fishing stores must be as happy as a pig in *%$t.
for ten years we have be dealing with this problem.i just hope eveyone has learned a valuable lesson.
us as sports fisherpersons need to lead by example you cannot tell everyone else how to use a resourse
we you are stripping it bear.
fishing is a privilege not a right.to all  the clowns who think otherwise look what happen.

Arnie Salmonegger

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 09:12:08 AM »

But note that the DFO notice for coho says effective Sept. 4 there's no fishing for coho.  Also a bait ban will be in effect for both tidal and non-tidal  portions of the Fraser.  So much for bar fishing in the lower areas of the river.

Here's the link:  http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=103974&ID=recreational

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 11:15:48 AM »

But note that the DFO notice for coho says effective Sept. 4 there's no fishing for coho.  Also a bait ban will be in effect for both tidal and non-tidal  portions of the Fraser.  So much for bar fishing in the lower areas of the river.

Here's the link:  http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=103974&ID=recreational

This in-season regulation has been in effect since late 1990s as a measure to protect the interior coho salmon. In the past (1999, 2001), the Fraser River was actually closed for all salmon fishing during this period so there were no pink salmon fishing opportunities available even though millions of fish were returning. The SFAC and DFO recognized this and have ensured that the Fraser River pink salmon fishery remains open by implementing a bait ban to minimize coho by-catch. Once this bait ban period finishes, another notice about the remaining coho salmon fishing opportunities will come out.

salmon river

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 11:11:33 PM »

Also a bait ban will be in effect for both tidal and non-tidal  portions of the Fraser

That is not totally true as the notice says :

The following measures will be implemented to protect Interior Fraser River coho.

Tidal portion of the Fraser River (downstream of the CPR Bridge at Mission, BC)

Effective 00:01 hours September 4, 2007 to 23:59 hours October 5, 2007 in the tidal portion of the Fraser River (downstream from the CPR Bridge at Mission, BC:

the use of bait is prohibited while fishing for salmon.
fishing for coho is prohibited.

Fraser River - Mission to Hope

Effective 00:01 hours September 6, 2007 to 23:59 hours October 8, 2007 on the non-tidal portion of the Fraser River from the CPR Bridge at Mission, BC upstream to the Highway No. 1 Bridge at Hope, BC:

Fraser River - Hope to Sawmill Creek

Effective 00:01 hours September 8, 2007 to 23:59 hours October 11, 2007, on the non-tidal portion of the Fraser River from the Highway No. 1 Bridge at Hope, BC upstream to the confluence with Sawmill Creek:

Fraser River - Sawmill Creek to Alexandra Bridge

Effective 00:01 hours September 19, 2007 to 23:59 hours December 31, 2007, on the non-tidal portion of the Fraser River from the confluence with Sawmill Creek upstream to the Alexandra Bridge:

So if I am fishing for trout, dollies, sturgeon or bull head I can still use bait. It is only no bait for salmon.

The DFO should of said a total bait ban but they did not.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 12:20:36 AM »

So if I am fishing for trout, dollies, sturgeon or bull head I can still use bait. It is only no bait for salmon.

Good point. Just send an email out. Most likely and hopefully the province would be consulted quickly to see it changed to bait is prohibited when fishing for salmon, trout and steelhead.

The bottom line is, we can all do our part to ensure conservation on interior coho salmon is met.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 07:26:32 AM »

I think the reason why they said for salmon is so the guide companies and others can continue to fish for sturgeon using roe. If they are using large enough hooks and fishing the right type of water there shouldn't be a big problem with bycatch and/or high mortality.  DFO just doesn't want people targeting coho.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 09:57:00 AM »

Re: Concerns on bait ban only on salmon, not on other finfish. Here's an email that I received.

Regarding the bait ban - yes that is an issue but from my understanding getting the province on side is where the problem lies, especially because of the sturgeon fishery.  We are away of this loop hole but do know that if a fishery officer does question someone and that someone continues to be catching salmon with bait, they can be charged.  Fishers are required to do their due diligence and if encountering species they shouldn't be using bait - we can charge them.  I would have to talk to the officers to find out what the exact charge is, but they can and will charge.  Hope this helps.. And we will continue to work with the province to see what we can do.  Perhaps just limiting it to bait for sturgeon only might work.