Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Maple Ridge Aug 30  (Read 2477 times)

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
Fraser River Maple Ridge Aug 30
« on: August 31, 2007, 10:22:23 AM »

Took the boat out on the river last evening, fished the area from Albion down to Port Haney. Saw a few jumpers, but didn't get any action ourselves. Saw about 6 other boats fishing the same stretch. They all seemed to be having the same success as we did.

Hook, Line and Sinker

Re: Fraser River Maple Ridge Aug 30
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 04:00:56 PM »

Bunch of us down at the Haney Wharf came up dry too. The only thing I caught was a Conservation Officer checking licences/gear. He spotted my barbless treble Buzzbomb and gave me the lowdown on the regs. This is area 29, I told him. I have the regs right here and it says you can use them. He said, "Yes, the book says that. But you can't use treble hooks in Area 29 on the Tidal Fraser. Period."  Hope that clears it up for anyone still wondering.

Sadly, the fellows who are often down at the Wharf and retaining sturgeon most days didn't arrive until AFTER the Conservation Officer did. So they just sort of lurked around the parking lot till he left. Was looking forward to seeing them get busted, dammit  >:(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 04:10:10 PM »

Yes, while treble hook is allowed in Area 29 (barbless for salmon, barbed hook allowed for other species), only single barbless hooks can be used for ALL species in the Tidal Fraser River.

I was just having a discussion with one of the communication staff at the department and brought up what is published at:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Tidal/area29_e.htm#Fraser%20River-Pitt%20River%20Tidal%20Waters

It is prohibited to use more than one line when sport fishing in the tidal waters of the Fraser River. While only one line per angler may be used, gear designed to catch a maximum of two fish at one time (bar rig) is permitted in this area, provided that two single barbless hooks are being used.

This paragraph can be interpreted that only single barbless hooks are needed when using a bar rig while treble barbless hooks are allowed when fishing with an artificial lure such as spoon or buzz bomb. Now that the problem has been identified, it'll be looked at and the wordings will most likely be changed soon.

When poaching of white sturgeon happens, phone them in and record the license plate of the vehicle. Sturgeon poaching is not taken lightly by the enforcement officers and they will respond as long as enough information is given to them for follow-up.

1-877-952-7277 (RAPP) is the number to phone.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 04:10:39 PM »

He said, "Yes, the book says that. But you can't use treble hooks in Area 29 on the Tidal Fraser. Period." 

???

SnakeRoll

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 01:39:25 PM »

why anyone would use a treble hook barbless or not anywhere is beyond me.