Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River September 2nd, 2007  (Read 2220 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Tidal Fraser River September 2nd, 2007
« on: September 02, 2007, 09:25:43 PM »

After picking up a couple of fish from last evening's slow incoming tide, we decided to give it another go tonight. The morning tide is looking better each day, but sleep comes first. ;)

We arrived just after the tide started turning, already there were a few fish showing themselves close to shore. As the tide picked up, more fish surfaced and made their way upstream. With Carlo, Vince and I spinning simultaneously, one of us should surely intercept a fish in no time.

About an hour after we started, I felt a sudden pull. I set the hook, the fish shot straight to the middle and was not about to turn back. Based on the way it behaved, I was sure that it was foul hooked. The line continued to peel off the reel. The cel phone rang, it was fishersak/Mark. I said, "Call you back." and hung up. At this point, there was no line left on the spool! The only thing that was connecting me with the fish was that little knot on the spool! Luckily the fish came to a stop and I was able to gain some line, but then it felt like a saturated log for a few minutes. I slowly gained line by walking backward and retrieving. Eventually the fish surfaced in front of Carlo, it was a white sturgeon that was foul hooked on its dorsal fin as expected. With some luck, Carlo managed to tail it before it went for another outburst. A 3 to 4ft ong sturgeon, foul hooked while casting a spoon for pink salmon, a first for me in the Tidal Fraser River.

Soon after I released the fish, Carlo got into a pink salmon briefly before it spat the hook. Lucky and Mary showed up. Mark showed up. It was becoming like a mini fish-out. More fish arrived, Vince was the next one who connected with a fish. He landed it, another small doe. Mark connected right after Vince's fish, but it too spat the hook soon after. Racingslug/Mike showed up and joined the party. It must be Mike, because all the fish disappeared soon after he arrived. We stopped fishing, Tim Horton's was the place to be after that.

The tail of Vince's pink salmon. This one shows the spots better than previous photos.

For those who are interested and did not see this, you can find information on the Fraser River pink salmon fishery at:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=15540.0

Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 09:42:32 PM by Rodney »

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
Re: Tidal Fraser River September 2nd, 2007
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 09:58:07 PM »

After picking up a couple of fish from last evening's slow incoming tide, we decided to give it another go tonight. The morning tide is looking better each day, but sleep comes first. ;)

High tide was at 11:24AM. Rodney must really like his sleep. ;)

I fished the 'early' morning tide. Only saw a few risers but was able to connect with a fish briefly before it spat the hook. Nice to feel that tug at the end of the line and hear it peeling out again. There were 4 other others fishing the same area but I didn't see anyone else hook a fish. It's only going to get better from now on. ;D

bruce

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 10:36:19 PM »

i also foul hooked a sturgeon last week, i thought it was a spring.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 10:56:32 PM »

Should have gone today instead of doing what I was doing, but it was fun !!!!

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 11:58:32 PM »

Thanks for the report Rod!

I also went out today at around 1030am but by then the water was almost at it's peak.  8th cast fish on! and as it came near the shore it twisted and rolled and the beak of the fish was wrapped in my line.  Then, as I bent down to pick up the fish it twists the other way, thrashes and gone...... oh well.  First hook up for pinks this year and many more to come!

Hey Rod, still have more spoons for sale? Fire me a PM and let me know. Thanks!
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 12:34:26 AM »

High tide was at 11:24AM. Rodney must really like his sleep. ;)

How else could I maintain my youthful look?

It doesn't look like I missed much this morning anyway. ;)

Thanks for the report Rod!

I also went out today at around 1030am but by then the water was almost at it's peak.  8th cast fish on! and as it came near the shore it twisted and rolled and the beak of the fish was wrapped in my line.  Then, as I bent down to pick up the fish it twists the other way, thrashes and gone...... oh well.  First hook up for pinks this year and many more to come!

Hey Rod, still have more spoons for sale? Fire me a PM and let me know. Thanks!

The first one is always hard to land. ;) :P I have lots of spoons, but only green or pink prism tape ones. Email me if you want some.