Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garry Point Park, Steveston, September 3rd  (Read 1931 times)

Joe the Soccer Coach

Garry Point Park, Steveston, September 3rd
« on: September 06, 2007, 09:08:19 AM »

Hello Everyone,

After some really helpful advice from Rodney through the General Discussion board, I set out to Garry Point Park to see if I can catch ... anything bigger than a sculpin/bullhead.

Well, I arrived at one of the points, and watched the tide line for a few moments.  Set up my rods, in case I wanted to fish for salmon or bottom feeding fish (Rodney mentioned that there might be some other types of fish to catch - besides SCULPINS).  I watched as a few pinks were surfacing and a small one kept jumping a few yards away from shore. 

Throughout the afternoon - I arrived just after high-tide at 12:25 pm - a few surfaced and in the calm waters, just shore side of the tide line, even a few heavy splashes - possibly bigger salmon, maybe even cohos.  I didn't get much of a glimpse.

About an hour or two, I had finally caught my first ever "keeper"!  I tried adding a picture, but not sure how on this board?  Anyone have any suggestions?  I'd really like to post a picture here.

Anyways, after catching my first keeper, I decided to switch gears, grab a bite, and laid out my rod for some bottom feeding fish.  Didn't catch anything other than SCULIPNS!  Or some small dungeoness crabs, which begs the question, that there are a few sandy shorelines around Garry Point, wouldn't it be possible to throw a trap out from or near these sandy shorelines?  Has anyone tried?

Thanks,

Joe

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Garry Point Park, Steveston, September 3rd
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 10:11:13 AM »

You can buy one of those small collapsible crab traps (available from Army and Navy) and throw them out from shore. I've seen people using them off Jericho and they work.

Joe the Soccer Coach

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 10:21:21 AM »

Hi Fish Assassin,

Thanks for the advice!

My dad has made some crafty round "pots" that lie flat on the sea bottom, but I think at Garry Point, it's not deep enough, and  there is too much debris and rocks that these pots would snag on the bottom (kind of like my five lures I lost catching that pink - quite an expensive pink.

I may ask my Dad to attempt at making one of those collaspible ones.  I keep trying to get him to sell his innovative traps - he makes crab and shrimp traps of all shapes and sizes - but he lacks the entreprenuerial spirit that drives the Lower Mainland.

I might go out again this weekend, and bring a trap or two to see what might come up.

Thanks again,

Joe

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 11:14:01 AM »

river-rod dyl

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 09:43:59 PM »

hey joe what was the keeper you caught??

Joe the Soccer Coach

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 08:35:51 AM »

Sorry river-rod dyl,

A beautiful pink doe, nice and fresh, full of roe.

Before this one, I've only hooked into them in the river, late in their spawning season, and only then, only hooked into bucks as I think does are disinterested in feeding while they're spawning.

I have some great photos, but not sure of how to post them.  I'm very wary about posting a personal photo website.

Thanks,

Joe

David_R

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »

Hey joe, nice going on catching that first pink, congratulations. As for the lures, I wouldn't sweat it too much if you really want to get them back just look for a day with a really low tide and walk along the shore of popular fishing spots, you gotta be the first person there for that tide but usually you'll find a whole wack of gear from people that snagged. Besides with the ocean it's give and take.

I'd be interested in seeing one of your dads crab traps too, the one we have is kind of junk and we just have a little boat. If he can make them reasonably cheap I'd be interested :)